Will it be OK if I . . .

Andicog

So my ongoing/lost in the garage 1100 has caught my eye again,  I'd fitted an 1100 wp Swingarm a couple of years ago,  mixed and matched with spacers on rear wheel and bobs ya uncle,  however,  I got cheap a pair of pirelli diablo super corsas,  the rear being a 200 section (I know the handling won't be the best.),  the chain  just kisses the side peak of the tyre , would it be OK to space out the rear sprocket using 1 x M10 flat washer  per stud behind the sprocket?  Would it be OK to space the front sprocket by using a new tab washer behind the sprocket?  I recon this will give the necessary clearance.  I've still got to drop rear ride height,  looks high in photo. 

20160928_145710_zpsmj97jz7l.jpg

20160928_145844_zpsohngzcnl.jpg

Edited by Andicog
  • Like 1

Tyres and rims - always a good topic at the pub !

The race teams like to use the 6.25 rims for 200 tyres, in order to find slightly more grip at certain circuits, although the tyres will fit a 6 inch too - you just lose more stability and lose agility with wider tyres - a 200 on a 6 inch rim is okay, but not so great when a 5.5 rim with 180 is standard and works well, even at the track.. A 190 on a 6 inch rim can work well, just set your bike up to suit - in this case it  just seems to be making more work for nothing.

Wish I had a pint  . . .

• Like 2

Hi Cog

I've used tab-washers behind the front sprocket before on an old GSX 11 when I fitted 5.5 inch rear & ran it like that for over ten years with no problems. 

They don't  move the sprocket over very much so you might need more than 1. 

As others have said, it won't work wonders for your handling, the side walls will pull the tyre surface in resulting in less tread contact especially on the edges. 

When I had (whispered voice) an R1, that had a 6 inch rear wheel & I was told that a 180 was the way to go. I could ride it virtually off the chicken strips. 

Now don't all start shouting at once, however:

Having said that, if it's got loads of Mot you could just let the chain chew the edge off, if it's only out by the thickness of a tab washer.

A Super Corsa won't last you that long anyway & you got that fat tyre pub bragging rights thing going on for 4 to 5 months.

Nice bike mate anyway.

Thanks for all the replies,   I run the same 200 section on my zx10r on a 6" rim and it turns quicker due to the tyre being 'pinched ' by the rim and creating a higher profile ,  most BSB teams were doing the same ,  that's where I got the tyres from.   

I'll probably go down to a 190 or 180 but the 200 does look good! ,  it's close on the torque arm as well,  just misses (nats  nudger being the phrase!)  

Did the later wp  slingshot use a 5.5 or 6"  rear? 

20140512_143901_zpsqvf9rxth.jpg

Edited by Andicog
  • Like 1

5.5 on my wn. Wouldn't want 6 inch rim. Bike turns nicely on 180/60. Tried a 190 and that were like a bus trying to turn. Loads of input on bars.Understeered (slidey, not good on a car let alone a bike!) .. and flat spot on stretched tyre is a little interesting when you try to lean........

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2016 at 6:42 PM, Andicog said:

So my ongoing/lost in the garage 1100 has caught my eye again,  I'd fitted an 1100 wp Swingarm a couple of years ago,  mixed and matched with spacers on rear wheel and bobs ya uncle,  however,  I got cheap a pair of pirelli diablo super corsas,  the rear being a 200 section (I know the handling won't be the best.),  the chain  just kisses the side peak of the tyre , would it be OK to space out the rear sprocket using 1 x M10 flat washer  per stud behind the sprocket?  Would it be OK to space the front sprocket by using a new tab washer behind the sprocket?  I recon this will give the necessary clearance.  I've still got to drop rear ride height,  looks high in photo. 

20160928_145710_zpsmj97jz7l.jpg

20160928_145844_zpsohngzcnl.jpg

Get this finished but forget the pinched 200 and find a 180 ;)