Martek Frame

Hello everyone, recently bought some stuff off Mark Walker, no issues but got me thinking about possibly buying one of his Alloy tube frames.  He has given me a price for the frame, and I realise it will not be a cheap build. Probably looking to buy a frame and a tank to start off with but thought I would ask here about what he is like to deal with and how likely he is to keep to a stated delivery time. I take it that there are no issues with quality. Any thoughts would be gratefully received, obviously a lot of money to lay out so just trying to do due diligence before I start talking properly with him. How does he compare with GIA pricewise. Many thanks Rob.

5 hours ago, inazumarob said:

Hello everyone, recently bought some stuff off Mark Walker, no issues but got me thinking about possibly buying one of his Alloy tube frames.  He has given me a price for the frame, and I realise it will not be a cheap build. Probably looking to buy a frame and a tank to start off with but thought I would ask here about what he is like to deal with and how likely he is to keep to a stated delivery time. I take it that there are no issues with quality. Any thoughts would be gratefully received, obviously a lot of money to lay out so just trying to do due diligence before I start talking properly with him. How does he compare with GIA pricewise. Many thanks Rob.

If you really want him to build a frame for you I think you're best bet is to build a personal relationship with him.

Beware. My dealings with Mark have been enlightening to say the least. At one stage of the frame buying process I thought I was dealing with a Nigerian scammer. I backed out and bought a different used Martek. Quality product but not backed up by any form of service. Quoted delivery times were pipe dreams. I'm overseas, we're easier to take money from and then fob off emails and calls. Search social media for Martek and "mark walker", last negative post I saw was only last week. 

2 hours ago, BoostedRooster712 said:

Beware. My dealings with Mark have been enlightening to say the least. At one stage of the frame buying process I thought I was dealing with a Nigerian scammer. I backed out and bought a different used Martek. Quality product but not backed up by any form of service. Quoted delivery times were pipe dreams. I'm overseas, we're easier to take money from and then fob off emails and calls. Search social media for Martek and "mark walker", last negative post I saw was only last week. 

A puzzling attitute that is surprisingly common. I really don't get it when those who run a business seem to think they are doing customers a favour by doing jobs for them.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Dezza said:

A puzzling attitute that is surprisingly common. I really don't get it when those who run a business seem to think they are doing customers a favour by doing jobs for them.

I think it is a self employed thing,not just this chap, never turn down work cos you don't know when the next customer/victim will appear ,book it in ,string people along till you get round to it, if you can get a deposit then even better,You've got them on the hook, and it's not likely they'll give the deposit up.... 

• Like 1

Run away! Miles and miles and thousands of miles away!

At this stage he needs to sort his reputation out completely, he needs to build a dozen frames in advance and sell them - anyone and everyone bar a rare few have had issues with him and he robbed them and left them with nothing, deposits and no frames for years on end, sometimes sub standard work

Run away!

I don't know where you would go to now for a tubular frame 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, inazumarob said:

You should have bought that Spondon GSXR 1100 that was on eb@y the week before last for 8.5 grand. It would be cheaper and less hassle in the long run and a similar bike would be the result.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

He,s also been known to join bike & car groups and forums under fake names and big himself up ..:S

Now that is a different level.

There are very few talented fabricators that know how to run a business.

3 hours ago, DAZ said:

I think it is a self employed thing,not just this chap, never turn down work cos you don't know when the next customer/victim will appear ,book it in ,string people along till you get round to it, if you can get a deposit then even better,You've got them on the hook, and it's not likely they'll give the deposit up.... 

Sort of (IMHO). 

I think a lot of the issues with small companies and the self employed stem from a single issue. People seem to think that because they're good at something they can work for themselves no bother. 

They trouble is that they, and a good many others, don't realise that being good at something and being able to run/manage a business are two very different things. 

Some can do one or the other, very few can do both. Being good at what you do, and/or being a nice well meaning person will only carry you for a short while. 

Unfortunately I can think of quite a few who are good at what they do, and great to chat to but couldn't run a business if their lives depended on it. 

• Like 5

Thank you very much Guys, heard mixed reports myself, which is why I asked the experts. May have been interested in the Spondon Dezza mentioned, unfortunately did not see it. Would probably prefer something which needs some minor work, as I am firmly in the 20% tax band for wages. Will sell a couple of bikes and see what comes up in future. Regards Rob.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Duckndive said:

He,s also been known to join bike & car groups and forums under fake names and big himself up ..:S

Didn't he pop up on here some time ago with a thinly disguised plug for his business ? I seem to remember that he was not best pleased with contrary opinions as to where the sun did actually shine from and has not graced us with his presence since .........................lol.

Edited by bluedog59
Typo.
21 hours ago, bluedog59 said:

Didn't he pop up on here some time ago with a thinly disguised plug for his business ? I seem to remember that he was not best pleased with contrary opinions as to where the sun did actually shine from and has not graced us with his presence since .........................lol.

Yes he did indeed. 

I had dealings with that clown years ago. Hes a talented fabricator but cant run a business to save his life.

His MO is to use other peoples money to pay his bills, hence why he takes more orders then he has any intention of fulfilling.  I got my money back via my son in law paying him a visit where his bravado promptly vanished. 

Im surprised he hasnt been filled in yet considering the amount of people he has over.

He also makes numerous facebook accounts to defend himself or big himself up. 

It doesn't take any business acumen to not fuck over your customers, and to realise that over 25+ years, it might be a good idea to go into partnership with someone who is good at the non-practical side so as those who are good at the practical bit can concentrate on that. Didn't the Harris brothers work that one out about 30 seconds after they started?

• Like 1

Never had any dealings with the guy, nor would I ever want too, but this is symptomatic of lots of 'small business start-ups' - they are not prepared to put in the initial capital to produce product to cover overheads and sink any profit back into the business over and over until they become self sustaining - only then should the profits produce a dividend to owner as reward for the hard work / slog to get to that position. I know of one shop that does the 'Rob Peter to pay Paul' business model and has done for as long as i've known it, only difference is they don't shaft the customers and will / do deliver - eventually! Its a bloody hard world currently for the little guys but Martek or whatever they are called now aren't helping themselves (or rather they are but not in a good way!)

• Like 4

There's 2 of them from what I understand dad and son both have the same name and work together. I would love one of there frames but and it's a big But hear so many bad things it probably ain't a good idea to get tangled up with them. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, clivegto said:

There's 2 of them from what I understand dad and son both have the same name and work together. I would love one of there frames but and it's a big But hear so many bad things it probably ain't a good idea to get tangled up with them. 

Every now and then he advertises a complete frame for sale. Walk in, pay the man and walk out with your new bling is the way to go.

12 minutes ago, rodneya said:

Every now and then he advertises a complete frame for sale. Walk in, pay the man and walk out with your new bling is the way to go.

Why support a con artist? The frame is probably the result of someone else being ripped off.

• Like 2