ENDURANCE LEGENDS at DONINGTON PARK 6-7TH MAY 2017

KATANAMANGLER

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest YoshiJohnny
On 20/12/2016 at 9:07 PM, Screwriverracing said:

So what are the problems that happen when endurance racing a gsx 1100 engine?

Cheer SRR

They break.... the primary gears should be swapped for straight cuts... Suzukis Kat is running helical so I believe which usually causes the crank or gear to break which in turn results in rods making a break for freedom via the cases...

Good power but heat is the big thing that destroys them.. even with a cooler... airflow over and through the aircooled lump caused Pops no end of sleepless nights. hence the golfball and pepperpot drilling of heads, barrels and casings all in attempt to keep heat down.

7 hours ago, YoshiJohnny said:

They break.... the primary gears should be swapped for straight cuts... Suzukis Kat is running helical so I believe which usually causes the crank or gear to break which in turn results in rods making a break for freedom via the cases...

Good power but heat is the big thing that destroys them.. even with a cooler... airflow over and through the aircooled lump caused Pops no end of sleepless nights. hence the golfball and pepperpot drilling of heads, barrels and casings all in attempt to keep heat down.

So how does drilling holes in the cases and such help cooling?. I would have thought less metal would get hot quicker .

Guest YoshiJohnny

If you look at an aircooled barrel and head you can see the dead air pockets where air cannot pass through...the partial drillings create more surface area (like a golfball) and the cheesegrater ones open the dead air spaces

We're in conversation with Rob and Darin @Paulm. Was just waiting to hear how much space we have to confirm gazebo size etc. Initial suggestions were that we'd be in Paddock 2. I'll be over at Newark tomorrow so maybe see you there?

@Rsvfletch ... bang on - end of the month. I'll put a reminder up in a week or so.

17 minutes ago, minx said:

We're in conversation with Rob and Darin @Paulm. Was just waiting to hear how much space we have to confirm gazebo size etc. Initial suggestions were that we'd be in Paddock 2. I'll be over at Newark tomorrow so maybe see you there?

@Rsvfletch ... bang on - end of the month. I'll put a reminder up in a week or so.

Yep,see ya at Newarke tomorrow Sarah.

• Like 2

We are having a stand. We need to go back with the number of bikes we need so we can determine the stand size. I will be launching a fresh appeal and putting my cat herding gloves back on this week. I had a lovely Christmas break thanks.

We have quite a few bikes on track so they will probably all sit on the stand in-between races. Reckon we need space for around 20 bikes.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

We are having a stand. We need to go back with the number of bikes we need so we can determine the stand size. I will be launching a fresh appeal and putting my cat herding gloves back on this week. I had a lovely Christmas break thanks.

We have quite a few bikes on track so they will probably all sit on the stand in-between races. Reckon we need space for around 20 bikes.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there Scott?! :P Thought I'd just bring it to your collective attention so we didn't potentially lose the chance of a stand etc there,I've booked the time off work to go to it was looking forward to helping out if we were/are racing.

• Like 1
Guest YoshiJohnny
On 07/01/2017 at 5:01 PM, Paulm said:

I spoke to Rob from Classic Bike Trackdays today about Donnington,he seems to think we aren't having a race team there now,is that right? He also said OSS need to say if we want a pitch there for definite and there will be a certain amount of gazebos available but we will need to say we want one. @KATANAMANGLER, @minx,

We aren't racing the team we wanted to this year... I won't have the minimum required licence and Rob will be really hard pushed to build a bike in the time (including jigging and stretching the frame) so the original idea has been changed to try for next year instead.. shame but it's honest and realistic.

HOWEVER it doesn't stop anyone else on here with a suitable bike and licences from having a go... £900 entry fee (split between 3 riders) is a fair old chunk but it would be great to be on track with the big boys..

I have asked Wes Cooley to come visit to try and make up....

10 hours ago, Paulm said:

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there Scott?! :P Thought I'd just bring it to your collective attention so we didn't potentially lose the chance of a stand etc there,I've booked the time off work to go to it was looking forward to helping out if we were/are racing.

Now that we are not racing and you're at a loose end,  I'm sure Minx will rope you into helping with the stand.

• Like 2