Slabbie 7/11 thunderbike racer

15 hours ago, dupersunc said:

So I'm going to build a new motor for next year, based on a Bandit 1200 with a dot head, 6 speed box and hopefully a slipper clutch.

Shit's just got serious

20161124_170340_zpswzr89uev.jpg?14800213

20161124_170414_zpsqosdlqgt.jpg?14800213

:D

I think you may have trouble with the dot head in your frame. i built a 1166 engine with a dot head a few years back fitted it in the frame 1100H  came to fit the carbs and no way were they ever going to fit without altering the frame. the carbs were 36 rs mikuni though . i did offer up a set of cv's and they would not fit either. might be worth a dummy build first.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cregnybaa said:

I think you may have trouble with the dot head in your frame. i built a 1166 engine with a dot head a few years back fitted it in the frame 1100H  came to fit the carbs and no way were they ever going to fit without altering the frame. the carbs were 36 rs mikuni though . i did offer up a set of cv's and they would not fit either. might be worth a dummy build first.

Sir has not seen my tool kit.

Large-lot-blacksmith-hammers-from-forge-

• Like 11
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok, so winter upgrades and this seasons race plans have all gone to shit, as funds have been severely limited, due to work falling on it's arse over the winter.

Things are looking up now though, so I've entered the Donington round of Thunderbikes in mid june.

Funds mean the bike will be as it was for my Jerez trip back in November, but with some paint on the fairing, a service and a once over. 

New engine is on the back burner, though I have most of the parts to build it up, still need to finish the cylinder head mods and work out what to do with the clutch.  I may try and source a pair of stiffer 10.5 nm springs for the forks, but I'm not to bothered at this stage.   After a crappy winter I just want to get back out on track.

191116_1296_jerez.jpeg.023654f08c289e129

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Not much happening with this bike this year, no funds to race it :(  New motor is awaiting gearbox parts to be machined, and I think that motor will end up in the slingshot chassis I have. A customer of mine is having some billet engine mounts machined up for me, which are tighter tolerance than the oem parts, so should stiffen the chassis up a little.

That brings me on to this.

@Markz9 approached me via this forum to help him out with his race bike build, as he'd got a little over his head, so I've spent the last couple of weeks getting this moved forward to completion. 

It's a Gsxr 750 frame and swing arm that's been heavily braced to race at the Manx a few years back by @YoshiJohnny I believe, it's all a bit ott in my opinion, it must weigh half as much again as a stocker. Mark started with the frame, swinger and tank  from the manx bike. To this he's added a Roger Upperton  1216cc motor with a one off exhaust system and a set of ubber trick Yoshi TMR flat slides. It has a Maxton shock, K8 gsxr1000 front end, and a K8 600 rear wheel.

20170527_151400_zpsiv3lvxvk.jpg

My job has been to fit the body work, and get it painted, machine up spacers to align the rear wheel and sprockets correctly, make a head cooler/fairing mount, make a Yoshi style battery box and mount, fab up a seat mount/engine breather tank, and scratch build a loom and mounts for the ignitiech cdi and Scitsu tacho. Oh and make a mount for the steering damper too, and various other odds and ends/

Mark is going to finish it, though no doubt I'll get roped in further ;) , as it's debut is scheduled for the beginning of July at the Spa Bikers Classic in the IG classic super bike series. No pressure...

20170527_151331_zpsufsdx1os.jpg

20170508_174657_zps0xikhogv.jpg

This is the frame the bike is built around.

56a913e2eff6c_gsxrfwDSC_0609.thumb.jpg.e

20170524_121242_zpswo04q04f.jpg

20170527_151345_zpskrbbvr5g.jpg

20170524_121540_zpssegdzwtw.jpg

Edited by dupersunc
  • Like 6
Guest YoshiJohnny

It is indeed the frame used at the first Manx we did in 2010...the bike came 8th behind Michael Dunlop and some other good company..

14796_602954379749973_1317634017_n.jpg

Guest YoshiJohnny

It was a case of making the original work.... the cast bits have all been boxed in and the original welding that hadn't actually penetrated was made good. Bracing was mad

Guest YoshiJohnny

lol.....true but it did only just qualified after the tank debarcle...the charging debarcle and the tyre episode...

oh and the exhaust popped on the last lap...

still

• 7 months later...