Slabbie 7/11 thunderbike racer

So 2nd race meeting summary.

Snetterton 300 17th,18th September 2016.

Thursday, trackday at Snetterton to get my eye in for the weekend, and to check the mods to the bike were all working ok. To recap, since the first race I'd fitted the lighter Astralite wheels, and Astralite had supplied me with the worlds heaviest sprocket to suit my gearing, I'd also fitted a ne qa throttle, a cylinder head oilcooler in the front of the fairing and finally I'd refitted the original type belly pan as I prefer the look of it, though I cut the bulges off the sides to improve ground clearance, and copy the Yoshi bikes from back in the day.

The day was a scorcher, 30 degrees C, so would be a good test of the cooling mods. Session 1 the new q/a throttle falls apart, at the end of the 3rd siting lap.  Throttle reassembled with some Loctite and we're good to go. The day is a little frustrating, as although the bike feels good, and the scorching hot blast of air from the head cooler, when tucked in on the straights proves it's working, even in fast group I'm constantly held up and can't push my braking markers to where they should be. I fiddle with the timing on the quickshifter a bit but settle on 50ms kill time which works perfectly, and generally spend the day enjoying myself. In the penultimate session I decided to push on a bit, as the heat hand thinned out the group a bit. it was one of those sessions were everything aligned and I seemed able to just position the bike where I liked and just breeze past every bike in my way. No body past me and I seemed to pass everyone else. I called it a day.

Friday. the intention was to sign on for half a day if the bike wasn't dialled in. The bike was spot on and the rain was biblical. Forecast was for dry weather Saturday and Sunday, so I concentrate don getting scrutineering done and helping a few mates. As the day progressed Saturdays forecast got worse and worse.

Saturday. Thunderbike Extreme were first on track to qualify so I fitted my trusty 6 year old wets, and went out to qualify. I really had no expectations for qualifying in these conditions, I didn't have lot of faith in the tyres, so as lined up in the collecting area with the 30 odd other competitors a just vowed not to do anything stupid....

We're released on track and the fast boys come past and disappear including rookie championship leader Ian Costello. Half way round the out lap and I'm comfortable, no one has come past for a few corners and I'm catching the guys a head. I pass on guy on the entry to turn on on my first flying lap and start chasing down the next man ahead all whilst still feeling comfortable, buy the end of the lap I've still not been passed by anyone, second lap and into T2, Montreal a mate di@awood12345ves down the inside, which is fine I'll see if I can keep up, we exit the turn, I pick the bike up and start to feed in the power.

The rear end comes round, I snap the throttle, and I'm over the highside. Bike comes down hard on it's left side, I see fluid pouring out, so leg it over to kill the engine, then retreat. The session is red flagged because 3ltrs of my Motul are now in a puddle in the middle of the track. The Marshalls shout abuse at me, and I apologies profusely. My bike is loaded into the wrecking van, we stop at turn 3 to recover Ian Costello who has binned it at T3 a few seconds before me. I returned to the pits and continue to offer my apologies.  I qualify 2nd in class and 10th overall. Result.  The bike doesn't look so pretty any more, but nothing major, the brand new screen is tapped back together, like wise the l/h fairing, and new clutch leaver is dug out of my spares along with a new oil tight starter gear cover, and  a new foot peg sourced. The dent in the tank is annoying but of no consequence. 

Race one, and It turns out I've inherited rookie pole as Ian can't fix his bike in time. The track is still wet, I make poor start, and get swamped though take back a few places at turn 1, it's all a bit of a blur, but there are a few fallers, and I end up leading the class again, before Thom Kiy comes back past into T2. Now I know how slippy the exit of T2 is so I try and get the bike as upright as possible before gassing it and chasing him Thom down. I gas it and the rear come around, it's a carbon copy of my qual crash, but I ain't going to hit the floor I hang on for grim death, and the bike come back to me, I hit the gas again and haven't lost much time, but then realise the rh foot peg has gone through the sole of my boot, between the rubber, and leather. By the time I'm composed and sorted my foot out 2 others have passed, and I'm 3rd in class, and that's where I finish 12th overall. I'm ecstatic though I came here to get a pot, and that's what I've got. Yes.

Race2 is delayed till Sunday due to various oil downs. Ahem. Sunday is supposed to be better weather wise, and the track is drying. I've wet in the front and a slick in the rear hedging my bets till I have make the final call. 2 races before ours and it looks like slicks are the tyre to be on, a Fireblade in the Rookie 1000 class is lapping nearly as quickly on supercorsas as the bikes on wets, then he cart wheels it through turn 1 and I chicken out a go for wets.

In the collecting area the front runners are well prepared and have inters fitted. A worrying number have brand new sticker slicks, and a few of us have wets. I curse myself till I se one of the Slick runners bin it at the bomb hole on the warm-up lap.  What a wanker. I get shit start, but have a good race, the track is very slippery and there are a lot of fallers, I stay up right, and finish 2nd in class and 9th overall. Another pot. Yes. 

Race3. Track is fully dry and I line up 9th on the grid, my class rival Thom Kiy is 7th. I get a slightly less shit start and keep Thom in sight. I push hard from the start to stay in touch, and slowly I pass the 2 guys between us and set about chasing him down. There isn't much between us, but by the final lap he's fading a little, and I make a big gain and close right up to him at T1, I show him a wheel at T2 and he responds, T4 there's a waved yellow, Thom goes tight on the entry to defend, I know I can't pass so go wide to get the best drive on the exit, I get the run, but Thom looks over his right shoulder and veers left into my path, we both loose momentum and by T6 Oggies, the guy  behind is showing me a wheel, and I have to firmly shut the door on him, I get a good run on to the back straight, stay right with Thom and pass him round the outside of the first part of the Esses at the end off the back straight, then park it on the apex of the next right so he can't com back past. I get my head down into the bomb hole then on to Coram. Half way through Coram and Thom is back up the inside of me carrying more speed, I can see he will compromise his run through the final corner so don't fight, and position myself to get a good run to the start finish line. It works, I pass him just as we pass the pit entrance and win the class by a couple of bike lengths P7 overall. I scream into my helmet. Fucking yes. Thom is very gracious and congratulates me on the cool down lap. 

Race 4. I'm 7th on the grid class pole, the track is dry the bike is good and I'm up for it. I'm pleased with the weekend but 3 seconds off my target lap times. I figure if I can get away with the quick boys they'll drag me along. I start the warm up lap cautiously, I want to arrive at the grid with my tyres fully up to temp, but not sit there too long, so I drop back in the pack. out of Oggies, I start to push, then hard on to the back straight, I brake for the Esses, then my concentration lapses for a seconded, and I'm off line, and worried I won't make the turn, hi head on to the grass at 70ishmph.......

I come round mortally embarrassed, surrounded by concerned Marshalls and Medics. Spinal board, leathers cut off, hospital, CT scain of head and neck, much piss taking etc...

Bike isn't too bad, front fairing mounting bracket took the brunt of it, and a couple of the levers are a bit bent. The fairing is repairable, but I fancy something more TT-F1 style so need to source a replacement. Another job that needs looking at is the fuel system, I was getting fuel starvation in 5th gear, I suspect that the 750 fuel tap isn't man enough, and 1100 taps aren't a straight swap as the tank fitting is different. I'm going to make a fibre glass tank cover, and build an Alloy tank to go where the original airbox went, this should lower and centralise the fuel load, and give me more space to route the oil pipes for the head cooler, and generally neaten everything up.

• Like 8
18 minutes ago, Band1t1 said:

Glad to hear that you are OK, gave us all quite a scare taking a nap at the side of the track. the fueling issue continued in the tech bay when we collected your bike, pissing fuel everywhere. You have motivated me to get my slabbie sorted out now.

Hi, Thanks for your help, what was your role there? 

As I understand it the floats needles on at least 2 of the carbs were stuck open after the bike had a lie down, flooding the carbs. The carbs over flows were routed into the belly pan, but that was ripped off in the crash, hence the fuel pissing every where.  Need to have a re think about that for next year.

Edit:  Sorry Dave I hadn't put 2 and 2 together when I first posted this, I've had a bump on the head you know. :D  Very good to meet you at the weekend.  I'll dig out a link for the cylinder head cooler lines.

Edited by dupersunc
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I better get on and repair this, it's on the truck to Jerez in 4weeks.  I've just got the call from Spike to say the Yoshi Fairing and screen are done, so should get those fitted in the next week or so.

I'm going to have a go at making an Alloy XR55 style fuel tank.  Wish me luck...

Guest Manxzookie
On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 10:58 AM, dupersunc said:

Just picked these up from Dorset Aluminium, who've re anodised them. I'm like a dog with 2 dicks.

20160810_100431_zpsufugeqhf.jpg20160810_101610_zps7jcxeow4.jpg

how much to get yer wheels reanodised m8 ?

• 2 weeks later...

Looking and sitting real nice dunc..

Did the spindles with the wheels work out ok with your forks/swinger etc? i managed to stumble across another set of astra's in the oldmans stores yesterday lol.. (no i am keeping these ones )Along with a harris magnum 2 frame/tank/swinger lots of other retro trick 80's 90's race stuff that i need to have a clearout or get him to clearout soonO.oO.o

The extended version (+70mm) ducati tt1-2 (not f1) seat units look real real good on them if your looking to go down the TTF1 route in keeping with the era!!

• Like 1
On 05 November 2016 at 5:31 PM, Hawky said:

Looking and sitting real nice dunc..

Did the spindles with the wheels work out ok with your forks/swinger etc? i managed to stumble across another set of astra's in the oldmans stores yesterday lol.. (no i am keeping these ones )Along with a harris magnum 2 frame/tank/swinger lots of other retro trick 80's 90's race stuff that i need to have a clearout or get him to clearout soonO.oO.o

The extended version (+70mm) ducati tt1-2 (not f1) seat units look real real good on them if your looking to go down the TTF1 route in keeping with the era!!

I had to make up a few spacers/sleaves to get them to fit but no biggy, the slingshot discs bolted straight on, I used the rear disc that came with the wheels, but i've no idea what it's off, it's got a big offset on it, unlike any oil cooled suzuki, lined up perfect with the slabbie caliper hanger though. Let us know if you want to get rid off any of the oldmans stash, that tatty old Ducati is only taking up shed space.....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a spot of winter testing down in Jerez.

Bike is in interim spec at the momment but still going well after it's lie down at Snet.  It does seem that I've reached the performance limit of a stock but resprung set of 750j/k forks. Need to investigate improvements to them before next year.

15178229_1736475280011954_78758730312186

15181655_1736618686664280_72289893730446

• Like 7
16 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

S-rad or k series 600 forks are really good if you want to keep it rwu,  s-rad let you use same calipers.  Zx9r c1 model forks are good and cheap too

I loved the front end feel on my Srad 600, I had the same springs as now, and did a ghetto mod to the shim stacks, but that was 10+ years ago and I'm 10+ seconds a lap faster round most circuits now.

The front tyre now starts to hop across the track if I really  load it up and carry lots of speed into a corner.  I need to understand what is going on before I start throwing other forks at the bike. I suspect I need to go stiffer on the springs, and need much better damping control.  I believe Maxton do a cartridge kit for my current forks so I'll probably talk to them next, that's going to be spendy though. :(

The other thought is that maybe the frame is starting to flex now and causing the hopping.  Mean while the bog stock  £30 2005 r6 rear shock is doing a top job. No fade, perfect tyre wear, lots of grip, with only the occasional, very progressive slides on power.

Edited by dupersunc