hydraulic conversion

I have the Frando conversion (available from Venhill) on my efe engined bike, and it makes not one jot of difference to the weight of the pull of the clutch. It's going back to cable as I cannot see the point of added complexity for no clear gain.

Here is a link to the high-quality waste of money.

https://www.venhill.co.uk/controls-amp-handlebars/hydraulic-controls/frando/frando-clutch-cylinder-1270mm-long-11nbl.html

Edited by Dezza

Some of us have reduced strength in various body parts due to e.g. past crashes, so it's not that helpful spouting all the 'man up' bs when it would be very helpful to have a reduced load on our clutches. It's like saying to Mick Doohan that he should have simply 'manned up' rather than have his engineers invent a thumb brake so he could use the rear brake as he wished to after he'd smashed his left leg to fuck in a mega crash at Assen.:)

• Like 5
5 hours ago, cheshirekat said:

not a case of manning up got severe arthritis in my wrists and knees so it becomes uncomfortable to ride any distances with out discomfort thought hydraulic conversion would enable to ride for longer

My sympathies with that condition but no reason the clutch can't be converted, it's just going to take some engineering. Find a bike with a hydraulic clutch that suits your strength and replicate the master cylinder bore size, the slave cylinder bore size and stroke and ensure the stroke matches the case clutch lever required travel -  you may have to change the ratio to match.

• Like 1

First thing is to check that the clutch is working as advertised. I hear a bit about GS 'man clutches' but I've got 2 and I don't think they're particularly heavy.

It pays to make sure the cable routing is right, with no unnecessary binding of the cable to the frame etc.

A new cable helps, and I'd recommend a genuine cable. Expensive, but I've found pattern cables stiffer and wear out quicker.

Also, my 115bhp GS1000 had a totally standard clutch. Fine for road use, never slipped.

• Like 2

The wrong lever and perch up on the bars can make for a very heavy clutch lever too - my Kat had a lever from a GSXR600, which due to the pivot ratios made for *very* heavy clutch actuation (The distance from the pivot to the cable end was about 5mm longer vs the original Kat lever)

After much deliberation I think gs7-11 is right here. If the clutch action is made easier to pull by changing the leverage ratio, then the clutch will disengage less for a given 'pull' so drag problems can occur. My hydraulic conversion must have had the same ratio as stock so it felt exactly the same as when it had a cable. Having a lighter pull and then it could get clutch drag so the best way forward is to first go with optimal lever, perch, cable and actuation mechanism by making sure all parts are in good condition, correctly lubricated and corrected routed. And ditch the 'performance' springs unless absolutely necessary (try 3 first rather than all 6) as this is a good way to having a clutch that feels like it should be on some sort of WW2 tank transporter rather than on a bike.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, cheshirekat said:

not a case of manning up got severe arthritis in my wrists and knees so it becomes uncomfortable to ride any distances with out discomfort thought hydraulic conversion would enable to ride for longer

Have you also looked at a air shifter?

Not just for the race boys, seen NABD use them for people who have lost/limited use of a arm.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dezza said:

After much deliberation I think gs7-11 is right here. If the clutch action is made easier to pull by changing the leverage ratio, then the clutch will disengage less for a given 'pull' so drag problems can occur. My hydraulic conversion must have had the same ratio as stock so it felt exactly the same as when it had a cable. Having a lighter pull and then it could get clutch drag so the best way forward is to first go with optimal lever, perch, cable and actuation mechanism by making sure all parts are in good condition, correctly lubricated and corrected routed. And ditch the 'performance' springs unless absolutely necessary (try 3 first rather than all 6) as this is a good way to having a clutch that feels like it should be on some sort of WW2 tank transporter rather than on a bike.

When I converted mine to hydraulic I did some calculations, it's as simple as the ratio in travel of the pressure plate in the clutch and the lever on the handle bars..

Big advantage of hydraulic is that cable routing is almost non important, and that was also a bit of a problem with my bike.

• Like 1