simplest way to fit modern wheels on an EFE?

We've covered the front end. Thank you captain chaos. Also I should probably just keep an eye out for 93-98 1100 front end. But what is the most diy friendly way to get at least a 180 out back. Is there a popular swingarm that goes on with the least fuss that people like to use? 

On 2017-6-3 at 8:22 AM, Captain Chaos said:

180 rear tyre will not fit in EFE swingarm, widest I've had in was a 5,5" rim with 160 tyre or 170 depending on manufacturer.

Yes it will, mine is.

5.5 wheel, machined down sprocketcarrier, homebrew caliperhanger and spacers to suit, all on the original spindle.

image.jpeg

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Rene EFE said:

No, apart from bespoke swingarms for an EFE, all involve welding.

Well.. There is the B12 swingarm that is narrow enough to drop in and is a popular modification especially on the earlier twin shock ET/EX/ESD/Kat 1100's.. BUT because of the different monoshock designs of course the shock mounts and such will need to be cut and replaced with new ones welded to the frame to also adopt the Bandit's shock and linkages.. Info on the often used tophat-spacers with the B12 swingarm swap can probably be found via a search on this forum..

Oh btw.. Just measured the width of the pivot tube on the EFE swingarm.. about 230mm, so wider than earlier GSX's (220mm)..

Edited by arnout
Extra info added..
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, boilerdude said:

Captain chaos you got the same wheel in there. What problem were you having with the tire? According to rene's post the only issues are getting the chain and brake alignment right..

I just remembered that the 180 tyre will fit with some slight modifications to the swingarm. Cut out some material from the inside (has no influence on the strength) and a 180 will fit. I never bothered though.

And also, a Michelin 180 is wider than a Pirelli 180 for example.

Edited by Captain Chaos
more .info
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, boilerdude said:

What about just a slabby rear wheel? the spokes already match the front. It's wider. That could be a nice "get me by for now" upgrade. I wonder if anybody makes tires in both of those sizes. (18x4 and 16x whatever)

Those fucking awfull BT45s?

better off with the 17 inch wheels to be honest, at least then you can use decent rubber, a 5.5 rear wheel, machined sprocket carrier option would be suitable, but dont "over tyre " it with a 180, if it is too wide, it doesnt need to be that big, and will possible end up with chain/ tyre sidewall chewing.

Swingarm swaps need the engine out and the frame, and if you want to do it properly, the lower frame  cross member removed and replaced, This will mean you can transplant the replacement swingarm, shock and linkage straight in  without using different dog bones etc, and if you get to keep the leverage ratios of the new swingarm, shock combination. (which means it will work!)

Front end, a gsx 600 wheel and discs fit, im fairly certain thats what the Captain used on one of his, but you might want to check, to be on the safe side.

Edited by baldrick
  • Like 1

Agree with the logic of 17" wheels for more options on modern rubber but if you want 18" wheels there are more options now coming available with some manufacturers doing a classic tyre.

agree BT45's are shite, but Avon and Conti do options that I have used on track and work fine,even sports touring rubber is better than race style rubber from the 80's just less options available if you have a preference for a manufacturer with 17"s you can pick whatever you want way less choice with 18"s:)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, boilerdude said:

I'm talking about 18 in the rear but keep stock 16 in the front. Wondering are there any other set of tires in both. aside from bt45

Just as poor a choice with the 16 and 18 combo I'm afraid, think Dunlop and Conti as well as Bridgestone do them nothing that great sadly as they are sold as classic tyres, and aren't even the same models as are available in 18"s if you want to have matching pairs.

A UK website FWR tyres https://www.fwr.co.uk has an option to put in your bike model and gives you all available options from nearly all manufacturers this will give you an idea of whats available, probably not much in the line of choice though.

Hence why most folk end up doing a  17" conversion at some point, hope you get it sorted one way or another(y)

• Like 1
On 6/3/2017 at 7:22 AM, Captain Chaos said:

180 rear tyre will not fit in EFE swingarm, widest I've had in was a 5,5" rim with 160 tyre or 170 depending on manufacturer.

Got a 180 Busa wheel in mine! Just altered the spacers & all is good! Front end was a complete Slingshot swap.

Arm is an extended & braced EFE, but still a std arm ;)

300802_457890687576743_273623534_n.jpg

Edited by CockneyRick
  • Like 1