simplest way to fit modern wheels on an EFE?

On 6/22/2017 at 11:04 AM, CockneyRick said:

My bad, it must be slingy, & Busa is in my GS!  Anyway the reason i went that way is cos K series wheels are the same size but the hub itself is wider, so making sprocket/chain alignment too hard. 

Output shaft is fine as it's only spaced rather than paying for an offset sprocket.

And carrier matches wheel, def not GS/GSX!

GS1100 is K series front & Busa rear, EFE is Slingshot front & rear. Both running 520 chain & sprockets ;) 

014.JPG

Totally OFFTOPIC... that efe with red wheels is 6/5.

• Like 1

Machine shop is making bits for the front wheel while I hunt down rotors. I already have donor bandit and slingshot calipers aplenty. 

Also got the mitsubishi alternator bearings https://www.amazon.com/100-Premium-Quality-Bearing-15X47X14/dp/B0189P6YOI/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1498938889&sr=8-9&keywords=15x47x14+bearing nice sealed set ready to go. Came in the mail the other day.

Edited by boilerdude

yea yea I figured kitana was slightly feminized. Like princess kitana. I now fully understand. No variation of the word is permitted. Unless referring to the original target design katana.

Nobody in the us says the word teapot when referring to anything. It really sounds more like a british thing. I'll just stick with kitten I guess. or gsxf600 or whatever. 

Anyway I found the front rotors on local ads. Nice fella down the road 20 minutes. Says theyre not scored up or anything. I offered 50 bucks he said that would be plenty and perhaps even take less.

Just waiting on the machine shop with the new sleeve and spacers and then just figure out how thick of washers I need to get the calipers centered to the rotors.

Edited by boilerdude
  • 4 weeks later...

the washers to space the calipers inward need to be at least 2.25 mm thick or so. I got some from the local hardware store that are only 1.80 or so thickness. And the caliper metal still rubs the disk on the inside. Then I went and bought some calipers for to measure stuff. Measured from the mounting point to the INSIDE pad surface of the rotors shows a difference of about 2.25mm. Then again my bandit has 40,000 miles so the difference could be slightly greater. 2.5mm or more perhaps. 

So anyway now Ive been to every hardware store around and no one has the ones I need. They're all 2mm thick or less. And I dont want to double up and have a whole 3.6mm worth of threads that are not reached by the bolt. Or also move the calipers too far inward. So I now must turn to the internet for some ~ 2.25-2.5mm thick washers.

Edited by boilerdude
7 hours ago, boilerdude said:

the washers to space the calipers inward need to be at least 2.25 mm thick or so. I got some from the local hardware store that are only 1.80 or so thickness. And the caliper metal still rubs the disk on the inside. Then I went and bought some calipers for to measure stuff. Measured from the mounting point to the INSIDE pad surface of the rotors shows a difference of about 2.25mm. Then again my bandit has 40,000 miles so the difference could be slightly greater. 2.5mm or more perhaps. 

So anyway now Ive been to every hardware store around and no one has the ones I need. They're all 2mm thick or less. And I dont want to double up and have a whole 3.6mm worth of threads that are not reached by the bolt. Or also move the calipers too far inward. So I now must turn to the internet for some ~ 2.25-2.5mm thick washers.

Buy some 2.5mm sheet and cut your own spacers out.

• Like 1

I dont have metal cutting stuff. I'm just a simple parts replacer with some wrenches and a bench grinder. I'll get it taken care of though. And then it's on to the rear anyways. The bike shouldn't be driven with the chain thats on it. Why i decided to park the bike and start this now. 

Edited by boilerdude