GSX 1100 katana max cc on standard block

thus proving that the efe liners are thicker than 1075 liners then? if the efe can go to 1230 but the max for the 1075 is 1170 the efe liners must have more meat on them. theres a set on eblag that the seller is claiming are at 1340! and were apparently fitted to a kat engine, same seller has the bored out crankcases too.

When I bought my first EFE many years ago (1998/99) I was told the engine was a 1260. I later had a conversation with Big CC racing who advised me the biggest you could go with standard liner's was 1230.  

Sadly the lad I bought the bike from was killed in an accident a week or two after I bought the bike so couldnt go back to ask more question's, but Im sure he mentioned that the motor had liner's from a Vauxhall Viva or a Datsun car of some kind??? 

Would a car liner be a possible option to reline the block??? It sounded a bit daft to me at the time, so who know's? Ive never had the head off the engine to measure. I still have it safely stashed away for a rainy day though.

Shaun (Eblag seller), told me previously they're 81mm (1340cc) but i thought 81mm in gsx equals 1360cc ? and he never answered my other questions so just steered clear of them, 

But on cheap side of standars block question is you can fit gsf bandit liners and largest bore becomes 82mm but then you have to find pistons (MTC) =1395cc

4 hours ago, Screwriverracing said:

How about with liners and crankcase boring? Can you get 1327 in the stock block?

Cheers SRR

Yes as can fit bandit 1200 liners which will bore to a max of 82mm, i have 18mm pin gsx 80mm Mtc pistons making it 1327cc and standard bandit 79mm = cheap big block kit. 

And NO the pistons are NOT for sale !!!!!!!

Edited by kiwi
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Burholm said:

Any specific year of bandit liners?

Hayabusa piston gen2 2008 and newer?

Any year Bandit 1200, if you've got a EFE crank with 20mm piston pins, use first Gen Busa pistons. If GSX crank with 18mm pins, 2nd Gen Busa. Skim barrel before installing Liners (Or rebuild crank using Kawa spec rods that are ~3mm longer).

Edited by Gammaboy

Everyone seems intent on big holes for the pistons but forgets about the even bigger holes in the cylinder block to hold the big liners - once you get that big there isn't much meat left in the block and in some cases the liners will break through to the fins. So you end up with thin liners (ie overbored) in a weakened barrel casting - No thanks, a gorilla block is much safer IMO!

• Like 1

You can go 1260 in an EFE "1150" block but the liners will be a little on the thin side at the bottom ....hence 1230cc being the preferred option for longevity 9_9

I,ve done 1260cc in an EFE block using GSXR pistons and liners and decked the block 2mm

I, also got a 1398cc "ish" in an EFE block using bigger liners but as Ian said it does break thru and you need to seal the liners ..and run external oil lines .

Downside of big block is cooling and heat soak " done that as well" but its all good fun   

I´ve done several 1296cc EFE block using 1127 GSXR/GSX F liners which are machined down to 84,4mm outside diameter and Bandit 79mm pistons.

When the liners have 84,4mm outer diameter there are no break thru on the block and it is oil tight without any sealer on the liners.

My 1296cc EFE with original carbs, Kent Cams JR3 camshafts and Delkevic Bandit 1200 downpipes is making 144 rwhp.

I have a 1075 linered & bored to 1290cc with cosworth pistons. Back in the day this was supposed to be the biggest you could go on this block without compromising reliability due to the amount of material left in the smaller block, heat soak etc. Also always had issues with oil leaks until I used external lines.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:57 AM, Burholm said:

Have you build any 1360cc this way or someone else here built one? How does they performe?

I got part way through the process and sold mine off due to unemployment. I know of a couple locally that have been built. They cool better than a Gorilla block because they've actually got fins... they go rather well too.