Re-wiring

Blue

I've moved the battery, Cdi etc to under the tank on my slabby & I shortened some of the wires but it's still a mess & wires are getting squashed between tank & engine. I really need to re-wire it so it's a lot tidier. What size wire should I use & what connectors do you recommend? Some items I won't be able to replace the wire all the way to the component, what's best to do in that situation? Thanks

Pretty much most things will be ok with 0.5mm cable (11amps). Horn, dip and main headlights better with 1.5mm (16amps) and alternator, battery and ignition switch feeds use 2.0 / 3.0mm.(25/35amps) If you can't re-wire all the way through, its ok to splice together, solder and heatshrink over to insulate. 

One other thing is that the CDI may not like living above the engine nor being near the coils / plug leads / plugs due to heat and / or interference.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Pretty much most things will be ok with 0.5mm cable (11amps). Horn, dip and main headlights better with 1.5mm (16amps) and alternator, battery and ignition switch feeds use 2.0 / 3.0mm.(25/35amps) If you can't re-wire all the way through, its ok to splice together, solder and heatshrink over to insulate. 

One other thing is that the CDI may not like living above the engine nor being near the coils / plug leads / plugs due to heat and / or interference.

Useful info. Ill file this for later..

10 hours ago, KATANAMANGLER said:

I should be on commission from these guys. I use their block conector kit with criping pliers for multiple conections. I also use the Japanese bullet connectors for individual wires. keeps everything tidy with no need to cut and solder.

I've used VWP for years and they do some good quality stuff unlike the eblag specials.

• Like 1

If you want to replace the multi-way connector blocks on a stock loom, Towzatronics on Eblag are good. They supply a variety of colours which helps when the loom has more than one of the same size block. VWP, the last time I looked, has any colour you like as long as it's white. If you need new block connectors for some Suzuki CDIs and the fusebox as used on katanas, EFEs and GSXRs, there is a separate thread in the aircooled section that gives the source. And yes, get a crimping tool. They only cost about a tenner and it makes it much easier. VWP is good for wire of every colour combination under the sun, which really helps when you want to keep the colours as stock.

18 hours ago, strima said:

Just wire it all in black, makes fault finding much more fun... O.o

Met up with some Bimota owners a while back, one was on his SB8 Santa Monica (tricked out SB8 with a TL1000 motor)

The factory fitted wiring loom on it EVERY wire is purple, and there is no fuse box. Those crazy Italians o.O

• Like 1