Welding slabby panels

Rene EFE

I have seen repairs done with cable ties and a soldering iron. Basically a similar method to welding but using the iron for heat and the cable tie as a filler rod. I have tried it before with limited success, with practice it would make  decent enough repair.

I do like the MEK idea. :tu

Bit of a plug for Plastex here. Bought a small workshop kit, around £21 iirc. Used it on the Blandit plastics for broken off, and missing lugs. Very impressed! Does what it says on the tin! Got a few Slabbie panels to do myself, so will give it a go on them. The Pro plastic repairers use a slice of donor plastic to weld original panels, so don't think your really bad plastics are useless. They're not. They may be of use to someone who needs sacrificial material!

I agree with all you guys, all have good methods!  M.e.k ??? please for fuc# sake wear a  vapour mask and proper heavy duty gloves, I have used M.E.K for 25 years and it's now banded in my industry . Please if you use it protect your lungs at least , cumulative in your body, it does not reduce or leave! 

Raf boys used it to wash warheads and everything else, not many of those guys left now... Not being a drama queen here but we are here for a good time ,not a long time.:tu:banana::banana::banana:

• Like 3

I have been professionally plastic welding on and off since the mid 90's. Everything from fairings, car bumpers to Kayaks.

Plastic welding works great IF the plastic isn't brittle. If it's cracking from sun damage it's pretty much garage art by that point.

Welders aren't super cheap (roughly $200 +/- ) but u will start to use it on all kinds of plastic repairs once you get the hang of it. Well worth it.

You want the "mini" gun. It's basically a soldering iron with a hoop and a foot attachment.

Don't get the big air one. It's for thicker plastics and bigger welds.

Plastic welding is a super easy process especially if you already know how to weld with acetylene.

Like metal welding you are melting the existing material and blending in new filler material as you go.

Most people make the mistake of just melting their ABS rod material on top of the crack. You have to get it deep down in there and get the materials to bold with each other.

Your welding not gluing it back together.

Edited by nightrider
  • Like 3

well I repaired my slabby panels with cable ties and a soldering iron and paperclips  as reinforcement . worked fine for me. I even used a plastic chocolate box as raw material to make lugs and repair patches where bits had broken off.

Doesn't work on fiberglass. I just followed delboy's (probably not the same one)  method on yuotube

Rene EFE

I forgot to answer your original question.

Slabby side panels tend to be brittle and crack (Additional engine heat I suppose) especially the mounting area's.

I have had a lot of failures on the upper fairing were it connects to the sides as well.

Can't remember having any issues with the Bottom or Tail pieces.

I repair using the same method we use for open water kayaks.

Do your weld as normal but then melt in a thin gauge wire mesh over the weld and the mounting area's.

You can melt additional material on top of the mesh but it's really just cosmetic in most cases.

If you have the welder that comes with the flat "foot" iron it will work great for this.