Stripped caliper threads

Got a set off nissin calipers for the Gay 7/11 but the arse that sold them to me didn't tell me 2 of the mounting holes have stripped threads. Been in a cubard for months  so lost they guys details so they will have to be fixed if possible. Can I use a helicoil or is there a safer way to save the calipers17110345407866600919049266500909.thumb.jpg.0c5d0c8b79a1d46d348fb807d1a7ca1e.jpg

25 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

if theirs enough meat then helicoil or go up a thread size, but that would mean drilling the mounting holes out. 

feck im loosing it !!!!  i was meant to say Timeserts :/   i never use helicoils anyway. 

• Like 1

You could have them welded up, then drilled and taped. Be cheeper than Timeserts 

Timeserts are good but unless you're a garage they are expensive for a one off job. 

Or if you have room between the calipers and discs just put a lock nut and bolt on, with thread lock. It's a bodge :o

5 minutes ago, wraith said:

Or if you have room between the calipers and discs just put a lock nut and bolt on, with thread lock. It's a bodge :o

No it's a creative engineering solution :D ...... Ok yes it is a bodge but it sounds better xD

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, TLRS said:

AP calipers have some kind of insert in them from stock so if there's enough meat, go for it.

He’s right you know.

I also stripped a thread in a Nissin 4 pot caliper.

@Pegleg( at the time) had the correct timesert kit to very kindly help me out. If you speak to him nicely he may be able to assist you.

The repaired caliper only ever saw track use and was all good for the remainder of my custodianship of the bike.

Edited by R1guy
  • Like 2

I had some caliper brackets expertly made by Spondon in the mid-80s to fit their 4 pot calipers to Suzuki forks. The brackets were made from 10mm ally and the threaded bits were helicoiled, not cut directly in the ally. Mr Bob told me these were "fuckin' stronger than threading directly into the ally" :).

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1