GSX1100E into upgraded modern GSX1100E, I need your help.

SuzukiMad

OK. To set some ground rules here. I am a mechanic, so I can fault find and replace parts, I am not a fabricator. I dont have lathes, presses, pillar drills etc and was never taught fabrication so what I am about to talk about is beyond my ability and I have never tried this before. 

A few years ago I bought my 1984 GSX1100E back that I saw on facebook marketplace. I 'umm' and 'arrr'd' about what to do, take it back to stock, leave alone or do something else with it. 

2 years have passed and nothing has been done. I have searched for parts and despite intensive searches what I need to make her original are not available. The only option is find another GSX1100E and use that as a parts donar bike but they are few and far between to find. So I am having to think of changing tack. 

I need your help.  

I am thinking I want to keep the GSX1100 look but put new rolling stock to it, so 17 inch wheels, smaller chain, modern brakes. Going to start with original frame, engine, carbs, airbox, wiring, tank seat, fairing and tail that I have. 

Then standard front end from another bike but I don't know what one. Rear end from another bike. I have a JMC braced swinging arm and a standard box section swinging arm. 

What front and back end should I use? B6? B12? Another bike? 

Rear end? Stay twin shock or go mono shock? 

Spacing? How do I get it right for chain and rear brake? 

I am guessing I can use the original rear brake master cylinder on a modern rear brake. I can also use the modern front master as the original is dead and obsolete so needs replacing anyway. Wiring is sorted for a front brake light so thats just finding the connection.   

As I said earlier I am not a fabricator and dont have the tools to fabricate. (I do have access to a welder and welding machine but thats it.) I have also never done this before and it is a little scary for me and its pushing my comfort zone.  

If anyone has done this before and would be willing to share their knowledge I would be most grateful. 

Long story short - without some / most of those tools, you'll have to find someone with them!

Yes, complete assemblies can be swapped in but for example a Blandit arm will probably need spacers and maybe a pivot pin change to suit the frame plus its monoshocked so that will need a mount fab'd up or you fab up some shock mounts to weld to the Blandit arm . . . . . . you get the picture, just about anything is possible but you need the tools or find someone with them (and who knows how to use them) :tu

3 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Long story short - without some / most of those tools, you'll have to find someone with them!

Yes, complete assemblies can be swapped in but for example a Blandit arm will probably need spacers and maybe a pivot pin change to suit the frame plus its monoshocked so that will need a mount fab'd up or you fab up some shock mounts to weld to the Blandit arm . . . . . . you get the picture, just about anything is possible but you need the tools or find someone with them (and who knows how to use them) :tu

Short story shorter, is it worth the hassle without the tools and skill? 

FInding a fabricator will probably be more expensive than I can afford.   

You say 84 gsx1100e twin shock, so are we saying gsx1100et ? 

I put a b12 front end on my gsx1100et but used gsxr750k yokes (can also use gsxr1100k yokes) fitted straight in, just had to alter the lock stops. 

Rear end, you can fit a b6 rear wheel in the standard swingarm without much hassle. @TonyGeeI believe can tell you more with that part. 

I've used a JMC with a b12 rear wheel 

• Like 1

1200 bandit front end should slot in with a stem and bearing change. LOTS of people have done this so lots of knowledge around. Then either a 600 bandit back wheel in your stock arm or buy a complete 1200 bandit swingarm/wheel/etc; contact Grumpy1260 OR any of the machining gurus on here and get top hat spacers to make the arm fit correctly and then find someone to weld the shock mounts onto the arm

• Like 1

Nice pictures and yes that is the sort of thing I am thinking. 

While watching the videos I have a front and rear wheel from a 1995 RF900 and front forks too. Might be a little short in length though. No yokes (tripple trees for the USA guys.) 

I'm not keen on upside down forks. 

Mono shock might be nice but then if a standard box section 1100 swinging arm can take an RF900 rear wheel then the original sprocket carrier should fit with the cush drive rubbers in the wheel. 

27 minutes ago, davecara said:

1200 bandit front end should slot in with a stem and bearing change. LOTS of people have done this so lots of knowledge around. Then either a 600 bandit back wheel in your stock arm or buy a complete 1200 bandit swingarm/wheel/etc; contact Grumpy1260 OR any of the machining gurus on here and get top hat spacers to make the arm fit correctly and then find someone to weld the shock mounts onto the arm

Thanks.

Sounds like a good plan. 

Rf900 wheel will go in standard ally swingarm. May need to machine a little off the sprocket carrier and off set the front sprocket a little. No need to notch the frame out for clearance if using a 170 tyre. 180 gets a bit tight. 530 chain and sprockets. I say go for the restomod option. I wouldn't worry too much about having all of the necessary tools as said, many can offer help where required if need be and anything can be achieved with a little thought. Whereabouts are you?

4 hours ago, SuzukiMad said:

Thanks.

Sounds like a good plan. 

I think the only thing I'd add is have a look through the projects section. Quite a few people have done what you're planning, and there are some little variations some of which may suit what you have in mind better than others.

16 hours ago, TonyGee said:

the way I tend to do it is, pick the parts I want to use and then figure out how to make it fit. theirs always a way ;)

Same here,

I just got delivery of a pile of bits :

shortened ET frame,

gsx1100F engine,

YZF front end,

aprilia rims.

Pretty confident all i need to adjust is the fitment xD

I do own a angle grinder, a TIG and a MIG welder. The boss has a lathe and i know someone with a 20 ton press to swap the steering stem over. Some perks come with the years. ;) 

Ps. I will start a project thread when it is time for this build.  First i need to clear out the shed and add some form of heating. 

• Like 3

some inspiration for you.  Gsxr front end complete.  750WP as i recall. only mod was a small plate under the head stock to stop them touching the tank.

Rear wheel same. Only fabbing up was someone on here many a moon ago making the rear wheel spacers and the headlight bracket for the USDs. Anything else was bolt on and a bit of creative thinking.  OH and GS 1000 clocks cos the originals were huge and horrid.

1100 lowrider 5.jpg

Edited by saffa
  • Like 4
On 12/6/2023 at 8:42 PM, saffa said:

some inspiration for you.  Gsxr front end complete.  750WP as i recall. only mod was a small plate under the head stock to stop them touching the tank.

Rear wheel same. Only fabbing up was someone on here many a moon ago making the rear wheel spacers and the headlight bracket for the USDs. Anything else was bolt on and a bit of creative thinking.  OH and GS 1000 clocks cos the originals were huge and horrid.

1100 lowrider 5.jpg

Nice bike !!

Using a swingarm of a Bandit 1200 has the advantage that it will fit easily in the frame. Most of GSXR swings are too wide and need some modification on the frame.

Anyway, you will not avoid some minor modding and welding but it can easily be done in a shed.

This is mine, GSXR1100W front end, Bandit 1200 rear end. Brackets for shocks can be ordered from Grumpy 1260. I retained the original footrests and brake pedal which gave some extra work.

20230319_160435_resized.jpg

20230426_160637_resized.jpg

• Like 1