How to get a Bandit 1200 engine ready for a Turbo

49 minutes ago, Brians 7/12 said:

What’s the best way to prep an engine for a Turbo… just take your whole engine for all the engine work to a tuner… then stick engine in the bike… then take bike to a Turbo maker? :D

Any recommendations in the UK for engine work? :)

•Ride the bike into Fbm.
•leave it there a few weeks

•pay him

•ride it home 

Simples

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Brians 7/12 said:

So they’ll be ok taking the engine out… 750 Slabby with B12 engine?… they don’t mind bloody knuckles? :D

time is money so it wont be free.....why not prep the engine your self its all basic stuff 

what are your plans and goal to archive with a turbo ?   

blow thru or draw thru ?

If you want someone else to do the prep work too, just take the whole bike to Dave at FBM, and let him do the lot.  Absolutely faultless work, and never heard a bad word said about him. Do it right first time instead of going with a 'budget' option.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BillyR said:

If you want someone else to do the prep work too, just take the whole bike to Dave at FBM, and let him do the lot.  Absolutely faultless work, and never heard a bad word said about him. Do it right first time instead of going with a 'budget' option.

If you do take that option

Just make sure you take a fully functioning motorcycle as Loopie don't take on non running projects anymore :pimp:

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Brians 7/12 said:

That’s why I thought to do it in 2 steps… 1216 with Busa Pistons & then 90% probably Pete Fields Turbo… unless other recommendations?… was also looking for someone to do the engine work :D

Speaking both personally, and also as someone who does that sort of work for customers, either buy the bits and do all the work yourself with guidance/support. Or, don't touch it at all and take it to someone to do it start to finish. 

If you do the halfway house option of stripping some stuff, getting bits from a couple of sources then getting someone to build it you'll find that the total bill is more expensive than the start to finish option and you'll also have a very limited warranty which only covers some bits.

As @Gixer1460said unless you do the work yourself and that includes hunting down bits, there is no other cheap option and even that can work out expensive as you'll be supplying your own warranty.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Brians 7/12 said:

Cheers lads… can you Turbo a standard B12 engine as it has lower compression as standard… obviously you would get less bhp !? :/

Yes you can if you keep the boost low enough. I think the limit would be around 0.5-0.7 bar on pump gasoline if tuned properly. Upside would be that it probably makes clearly more power at that boost compared to lower compression build.

Some time ago I partially built and tuned a turbo B12 that had completely stock unopened engine. It cranked out quite healthy 260hp at 0.9 bar boost. But this was on E85 fuel. As said, on normal pump gasoline you probably want to keep the boost a bit lower.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Arttu said:

Yes you can if you keep the boost low enough. I think the limit would be around 0.5-0.7 bar on pump gasoline if tuned properly. Upside would be that it probably makes clearly more power at that boost compared to lower compression build.

Some time ago I partially built and tuned a turbo B12 that had completely stock unopened engine. It cranked out quite healthy 260hp at 0.9 bar boost. But this was on E85 fuel. As said, on normal pump gasoline you probably want to keep the boost a bit lower.

Hmmmm… I’m not looking for 260bhp… around 180-200 would be way more than enough… as it’s on a Slabby 750 frame anyways… lol… but also looks cooler than going for a non turbo 1216/1246/1371 with headwork & perhaps only around 150-170bhp :)

33 minutes ago, Brians 7/12 said:

Any ideas what .2bar would give bhp maybe to keep it safe… I’d be happy with just 180bhp really xD

The general rule of thumb is each bar of boost gives the n/a bhp i.e. 120bhp engine + 1 bar of boost =240bhp ( though usually there are some "pumping" losses as the turbo acts as a restriction on the exhaust and actual results are often slightly less )

1 hour ago, Brians 7/12 said:

Hmmmm… I’m not looking for 260bhp… around 180-200 would be way more than enough… as it’s on a Slabby 750 frame anyways… lol… but also looks cooler than going for a non turbo 1216/1246/1371 with headwork & perhaps only around 150-170bhp :)

I think 0.5 bar should get you around there if the setup is done correctly. And that should be still relatively safe with stock compression and pistons if tuned right. The B12 engine is one of those funny examples that really like boost and can even exceed that normal rule of thumb about 100% power increase by 1 bar boost.

Also usually a turbo engine will feel way more powerful than a tuned N/A engine with the same peak power. I could tell a couple funny real life examples about this :P

55 minutes ago, Arttu said:

Also usually a turbo engine will feel way more powerful than a tuned N/A engine with the same peak power. 

It's all about the torque as I'm sure @Arttu knows, but a gsx750f teapot makes roughly 95/100 hp and so does a stock b12 but the b12 feels more powerful because of the extra torque that 400 or so cc's provide , turbos building boost low down (or spooling) build torque and maybe what you're after and if so you should consider this when choosing your whizzer as like goldy locks too big could result in a laggy motor :D

• Like 1