Neutral switch/gear position switch

6 hours ago, Dezza said:

So earlier switch from GSX1100 is 26mm and fits B12? The switch on my EFE is the larger 36mm type. Like Wraith I used to think that all GSX1100 switches were the same but that does not seem to be so.

Is that a TYpo Dazza ?

All 4V air cooled GSX 1100  use a 36mm one and yes it fits in early B12 and Oil Cooled 1100 Case,s  

using the GSX prefix can lead to confusion .......Eg a GSX 1100F . ...is not an Air Cooled bike  it's a 1127 Oil Cooled one  "Powerscreen" 

so maybe best to use A models full description  

From what I've found, 

All GS 2v and the gsx750 4v all use the 26mm ones (don't fit oil cooled engine) 

Gsx1100 4v seem to use the 36mm ones but only the 1984 onwards (efe, es, ex type bikes) have the gear position. These fit the oil cooled engine if you (like me) want to use/fit a gear position indicator.

I was looking into this for two reasons. 

1. My gsx1157et has gsx750es clocks and id like the gear indicator to work (yes I know sad xD)

2. Don't know if I like the aftermarket ones with the glued on bits, all seems a bit figgly ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wraith said:

I was looking into this for two reasons. 

1. My gsx1157et has gsx750es clocks and id like the gear indicator to work (yes I know sad xD)

So what actual engine does your "GSX 1157et"  actually have in it ? ..

1 hour ago, Duckndive said:

So what actual engine does your "GSX 1157et"  actually have in it ? ..

MK1 b12 :D.

I put this in air cooled because I knew it was one of the air cooled engines that had the switch.

18 minutes ago, wraith said:

MK1 b12 :D.

I put this in air cooled because I knew it was one of the air cooled engines that had the switch.

:tu you need an EFE one then to avoid confusion ...but as Captain said you will need to juggle wires to make it work  

• Like 1

Now If you were a member on the Temp ProBoards site some years back and remember your log in details then these posts may help 

I,ll let @Captain Chaos Decide if the links can stay or not  :tu

https://old-skool-suzuki.proboards.com/thread/4539/b12-engine-efe-gear-indicator

https://old-skool-suzuki.proboards.com/thread/3514/gear-indicator-oil-cooled-engines

unfortunately the pics in the 2nd thread are missing but i recall he drilled a Neutral Switch and added the extra contacts and wires to make what he wanted 

Edited by Duckndive
  • Like 2
26 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

but i recall he drilled a Neutral Switch and added the extra contacts and wires to make what he wanted 

I was just thinking that myself. The arc the shift drum pin takes is usually worn into the 'switch' and if you are lucky there might be wear spots for 2,3 and 4. First and 5th should be obvious as last places in the 'track' in either direction. Drill through with 3 or 4mm drill and epoxy in some 3 or 4mm brass rod, flatten off over sheet of wet & dry (engine side) and solder wires to brass on outer side. Once done, coat with epoxy to seal. Don't forget all the outputs will be to ground, so bulbs in the indicator should have common 12v+

• Like 2

I think (believe) this one (in the centre) to be either GSX750ET or GSX1100EFE. The one on the right is simple Neutral only. If the drums do rotate in different directions its sort of clear why you don't get all the outputs ( i'm almost surprised you get any!)

IMG_4867.thumb.JPG.b875dddcbb164daef567f7eb06e47b66.JPG

• Like 2
On 4/5/2024 at 5:49 AM, wraith said:

So does the gsxr1100w have all the wires for the gears?  Or am I looking at this upside down xD

It looks like this mounted

IMG_4871.thumb.JPG.f5042c7a30a57a1cb33504b51cd73aa8.JPG

https://www.cmsnl.com/products/base-assy-gear-shift_3773031e01/#.XNUzHRQzbIU

It is only two wires blue for neutral light and pink for the gear position and the resistors are in the unit.

Just ignore the other references it was for research purposes of the 1250 switch but the GSXR gear position values were the same,

Here are the values, the same as the 1250 bandit,

001.thumb.jpg.3ee0520839c1baf031c96ea2f319b6eb.jpg

And the 93 GSXR1100W so it is the water cooled GSXR switch mounted in my 82 GSX1100,

I used this switch for the gear position indicator on my 2009 GSX650F dash.

Edited by GSX1100dreamn
added info
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I think (believe) this one (in the centre) to be either GSX750ET or GSX1100EFE. The one on the right is simple Neutral only. If the drums do rotate in different directions its sort of clear why you don't get all the outputs ( i'm almost surprised you get any!)

IMG_4867.thumb.JPG.b875dddcbb164daef567f7eb06e47b66.JPG

Nope they are my switches,

left 2007 bandit 1250, middle 93 GSXR1100W (water cooled) using this in my 82 GSX1100 engine, right 82 GSX1100. 

5 minutes ago, Mike711 said:

Does anyone know if a later gsxr 600/750/1000/1300 uses a 36mm switch with resistors? A Healtech GPI can work with them.

and to confuse even more a lot of the modern water boiled sports bikes use 26mm switches for gear position 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Mike711 said:

Does anyone know if a later gsxr 600/750/1000/1300 uses a 36mm switch with resistors? A Healtech GPI can work with them.

Suzuki part number 37730-26E20 fits on a B1200 engine so I assume it's 36mm, never measured them. It gives different resistance values for all 5 gears and has separate wire for the neutral contact.

• Like 1