Newark Winter Classic 6/7 Jan 2024

Paulm

1 hour ago, imago said:

What's the cut off for knowing who's in and what they're bringing @Paulm? I know it's not for a good while, but there's a fair bit going on this end so I need an idea of when to aim for.

I'll just put you on the list Larry,then you're in anyway if you want to be

• Like 1
On 10/27/2023 at 10:50 PM, Paulm said:

I'll just put you on the list Larry,then you're in anyway if you want to be

Thanks Paul. I was a bit stuck for what to take given the timing as I don't want to take the Throwback anywhere until it's done. A WIP on the stand is fine until you consider the business angle as it just looks half arsed and wouldn't give a good impression. That leaves the black ET which is fine but not really (to my mind) OSS as it's just a nice ET.

However, since that Dresda came out of the blue I reckon I can get that up and running in time for Newark so I can bring that and all's well. :tu

7 hours ago, imago said:

Thanks Paul. I was a bit stuck for what to take given the timing as I don't want to take the Throwback anywhere until it's done. A WIP on the stand is fine until you consider the business angle as it just looks half arsed and wouldn't give a good impression. That leaves the black ET which is fine but not really (to my mind) OSS as it's just a nice ET.

However, since that Dresda came out of the blue I reckon I can get that up and running in time for Newark so I can bring that and all's well. :tu

Bring the Dresda anyway,it's interesting, finished or not,nothing half arsed about it,it's just the stage of the build you are at.The ET is also welcome anytime as its an OldSkoolSuzuki, so is a bandit but a standard bandit is boring as fuck for the stand and the ET isn't.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Paulm said:

Bring the Dresda anyway,it's interesting, finished or not,nothing half arsed about it,it's just the stage of the build you are at.The ET is also welcome anytime as its an OldSkoolSuzuki, so is a bandit but a standard bandit is boring as fuck for the stand and the ET isn't.

With the draw through I mean from a business point of view it doesn't look good if it's not in a complete finished state (running or not) 'Only as good as your last job' type of thing. So I won't be taking that to any shows until it looks presentable to me.

The Dresda is a different kettle of fish as if I get it running but don't refurb it then it's the 'barn find' thing and everyone loves those. (y) 

• 2 weeks later...

During a chat with @davecaraand @PaulmI mentioned that it was a shame that bike of the month had fallen into disuse and it'd be nice to have some sort of trophy for those who attend shows. Not necessarily for the "best bike" as this is OSS after all, however who gets it and for what isn't up to me, I just got to make one as I'd suggested it.

Anyway, it will be awarded to the first recipient for something at Newark and this is it. I'll give it a clean up and affix a disc for the sticker before then.

20231110_121929.thumb.jpg.7fdd22decf7b87870987291c546c5e6f.jpg

• Like 7
6 hours ago, imago said:

During a chat with @davecaraand @PaulmI mentioned that it was a shame that bike of the month had fallen into disuse and it'd be nice to have some sort of trophy for those who attend shows. Not necessarily for the "best bike" as this is OSS after all, however who gets it and for what isn't up to me, I just got to make one as I'd suggested it.

Anyway, it will be awarded to the first recipient for something at Newark and this is it. I'll give it a clean up and affix a disc for the sticker before then.

Good effort Larry,hopefully i'll see @davecara at FBM hq next friday,will have a chat then about how to go about awarding it.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, imago said:

That's class Larry. Great idea

• 1 month later...

Looks like a good turn out for the stand. (y)

It did strike me looking at the pics on FB that of the 12 bikes on the stand only 3 are air cooled. A sign of time moving on I guess, I wonder how long before it becomes OSS/OCS? xD

What a great weekend at Newark,one of the best show stands for OSS ive ever seen since ive been doing them i think,stand out bike for me was Johns RGV 250,absolutely stunning bike.Stand out moment was @clairetoodoing a little rolling burnout on her pro stock race bike on the last fire up display,incredible noise:D.Thanks to all that came along with the bikes,much appreciated,hope you all enjoyed it. Nice to see a few members come along and say hello as well,the fire up hall organiser absolutely loved having our bikes up there for a chat with Steve Plater,see you next year was his parting comment to me:tu.Once again thanks all,see you at the next one.

20240107_080553.jpg

20240107_080652.jpg

20240107_080635.jpg

20240107_110730.jpg

20240107_145705.jpg

20240107_095902.jpg

• Like 3

I had a great weekend end at the show, met up face to face with people I've known only online.  Great to be able to chat in person.  Our stand, as always, had a lot of interest.  Great mix of bikes, John's RGV looked absolutely stunning. OSS certainly had the loudest bike there, @clairetoopro stock....noise that you can feel deep inside your guts! 

Scariest part of the weekend was on Sunday afternoon at the start up, anyone that knows me, knows I'm not a fan speaking....and certainly not in front of an audience xD. But I managed. 

Thanks for organising it @Paulm.

• Like 3
On 1/7/2024 at 6:47 PM, Paulm said:

Once again thanks all,see you at the next one.

Looked a great turn out and show, a shame I missed it but you can't win them all. 

What/when is the next show with an OSS presence?

• Like 1

Realy enjoyed this weekend, its been over 10 years since I attended a show with OSS due to racing commitments and it was nice for a change of pace and to be able to chill for a weekend. Im glad you all liked the little RGV, its taken a couple of years to build but it was 100% worth it and apart from the GSX1700 dragbike, id say its my best build to date, defo a keeper. Big thanks to Paul for the invite, and great to meet up with Havoc, Wee Man, Dodge, Rossco, Bow, Claire, Jay etc etc.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

@McLean Racingwhat's so special about the RGV (apart from looking good)?

Build thread?

Good question, in my own opinion.......nothing. But I suppose the good bits are that although I have built it to promote my business and what I can do, its also a personal bike so there was no time limit and no expense spared. Aside from the engine and cdi setup which is the 2nd stage of the build for later this year, everything is pretty much new, every bearing, seal, bolt, brackets, subframes, fairings, brakes, tyres etc etc, Even the clocks are NOS 0 mile clocks, so it was built to be better than what id be able to buy (athough I could have bought one for what ive spent to date). Its got the SP forks with YSS springs, YSS rear suspension, Accossato master cylinders, most of the bracketry is all carbon fibre, nearly all the bolts now are titanium, its super light for a road bike and built to handle as good as one can.

I havent been on the forum much in recent years just due to life and work, but ill do a build thread when I get time. I never did one or even put it on any social media platforms so no one knew what I was building. (y)

• Like 4