Learning

Fla

Hello everyone. 

Sorry if post is not in correct tab, although this is the type of bike I'd like to start learning mechanicy skills on. 

I would like to start getting familiar and knowledgeable in repairing, fixing and otherwise upgrading parts on my bike (GSX 750ES 83'). I have a wiring diagram and otherwise old ass manual I got my hands on online, but find it hard to understand properly. Is there anyone who could perhaps help me out with a few pointers on how to safely start learning about doing my own work?

Thanks a bunch for your time and patience.

I have time, we're not rushing anywhere, thankfully.

Unfortunately there's noone in my circles who does bikes. 

8 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

knowing how to work on a bike takes time and experience, your best to start with the basics like servicing and minor adjustments.  do you know someone who knows bikes and who can show you stuff ? 

Don't know your skills, so start from the beginning. 

Can you adjust the drive chain? 

After that, just ask the questions you need on the part you're looking at doing.

Really before you start going into the world of upgrading parts you/we need to know your basic skill level ;) wouldn't like to tell you to put a different wheel in if you've just got to grips with chain tension.

• Like 1

I would say you tube is your friend try delboys garage for basic service type how to video, most of the stuff is fairly normal maintenance stuff, oil change, brakes, chain adjustment Etc, good step by step instructions and advice ,for more specific advice about your bike then ask here ,good luck (y)

1 hour ago, DAZ said:

I would say you tube is your friend try delboys garage for basic service type how to video, most of the stuff is fairly normal maintenance stuff, oil change, brakes, chain adjustment Etc, good step by step instructions and advice ,for more specific advice about your bike then ask here ,good luck (y)

WHAT !!! Delboy O.o  yeah he tells you to take the radiator cap off a hot engine and then burns himself :o

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TonyGee said:

WHAT !!! Delboy O.o  yeah he tells you to take the radiator cap off a hot engine and then burns himself :o

Was only try to be helpful ! , I was lucky enough to have a dad who let me help him maintain cars with him, who had the patience to show me this kind of stuff, I'm quite sure there are others on you tube who could show the OP some basic maintenance stuff if that's what he needs, del boy was an example to try for the basics as they say a picture is worth a thousand words and all that , I didn't know he'd burned himself,because tbh I've not really watched that many of his videos as they are very basic level maintainance stuff, but because they are motorcycle related they show up on my feed now and again ,if you know of someone the OP could watch and learn from then please recommend them 

• Like 2

Here’s my 2pc worth:

You need 4 things to repair your bike; space, time, knowledge and tools. Make sure you have all the them before you begin any job. It sounds obvious but if you are in a rush or are missing the right tool…

Use YouTube to see how other people have done the job before you.

when taking things apart, take photos so you remember how they go back together- especially useful with wiring.

Dont force stuff. If things won’t come off as you think they should, you have probably missed something. 

this is the best place to ask questions about your bike. There is nothing on it that someone here doesn’t know.

good luck (y)

• Like 3

You can learn by watching, informing and doing, start small, and like others have said use the Internet and your phone to take video or pics (y)

And give yourself time, if you rush you will probably fuck up (though everybody has) and if a job is going to take a few days, make a note of where you have got too so things don't get missed 

But most importantly have fun and enjoy it :)

Motorbikes are addictive :pimp:

• Like 1

Going through a service on your bike will teach you a lot, but particularly you can focus on breaking tasks down. 

For example set yourself a task of servicing and - if you feel like it -improving your front brakes. You can start simple and slowly get deeper and those skills will transfer really well to larger tasks. 

Working on too many sub systems at the same time is what makes working on bikes difficult. Break each section down into its own sub sections. 

To be fair, i wouldnt take advice from anyone on Youtube. Just because they have a Youtube channel doesnt mean they know what fuck they are doing.

Id buy a decent manual as a good base and start with something very easy, like taking something off and putting it back on, getting a feel for it and building your confidence.

Go slowly, dont overload yourself with information and more importantly enjoy it.

• Like 1
On 7/7/2023 at 12:26 PM, Fla said:

Hello everyone. 

Sorry if post is not in correct tab, although this is the type of bike I'd like to start learning mechanicy skills on. 

I would like to start getting familiar and knowledgeable in repairing, fixing and otherwise upgrading parts on my bike (GSX 750ES 83'). I have a wiring diagram and otherwise old ass manual I got my hands on online, but find it hard to understand properly. Is there anyone who could perhaps help me out with a few pointers on how to safely start learning about doing my own work?

Thanks a bunch for your time and patience.

If the charging system has not been upgraded, you will be learning a lot about Stators and Voltage Regulators?Rectifiers very soon. ;)