02 1200 bandit alternator

Rochy111

Hi

would like to pick your wonderful big brains if I could about my brothers 1200 bandit, he bought the bike as a fixer upper and  I've got the job of the fixing haha, it's got a cracked alternator drive, got a new one ordered but while I was tinkering I thought I'd just offer the old one up to the alt and oil pump just to try and get a feel for it meshing for when I fit the new one. Something isn't quite right with it, to me the alternator gear on the alt seems too big. My question is are there different size alternator gears?,could this be the wrong alternator fitted and that's what's knackered the drive on the back of the clutch basket, when the gears are meshed the main shaft is miles out of centre. Just to note the sprocket is off the basket. Any help and info would be hugely appreciated 

cheers

Edited by Rochy111

If it's the wrong one and its been running I'd have a much closer look, the gear at the back of the clutch that the alternator goes onto also runs the oil pump. 

If you think its the wrong alt, I'd remove the clutch and have a good look/check that all is OK before you go looking for a new alt. ;)

Cheers, the clutch and basket and sprockets are all off on the bench, it's when I offered the old sprockets up without the basket is when I found the main shaft is miles out of centre, I wonder if the previous owner has replaced the alternator with the wrong one and forced it in causing the alternator sprocket to well sheer basically, there are 2 weird sperious bolts holding the alternator on, they look like coach bolts with the head chopped off and a washer brayed on hahaha, thanks again for your help, i think I've got my work cut out for me with this one hahahaha 

cheers

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

Edited by Rochy111

From what I can see on your pics all looks OK.

Their are usual 3 (12mm think maybe 10mm xD) that hold the alt in place (heads of bolts on the lh side of motor)

As @CockneyRicksays count the teeth on the sprockets and someone who know bandits more can tell you what's what ;)

The alt can be a real pain to get in place and mess the teeth, unless you're very lucky it the teeth where wrong and the bike has run I would of expected to see damage.

Yeh there is huge bits missing off the spring damper, can't find them anywhere in the engine lol which makes me think someone has been at this motor disastrously before lol but the alternator gear in my pic definitely looks like the 28  or 30 tooth in fastblokes pic gonna retire to the workshop now and count them ( the mother in law is here aswell so time for a cool sharp harp hahaha)cheers everyone I'll keep you posted

cheers