Cylinder head STUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rustynail

I had this problem with my GS1000 you have to remove the head studs I kept putting penertrating oil down the studs and tapping them to loosen the crud around the studs.

I managed to remove them all in the end with the help of a bit of heat but it took about 10 days in the end I had to replace a few of the studs as they were a bit damaged but at one point I didn't think it was going to move but it came away in the end l Hope this helps all the best

• Like 1

You emphatically do not have to remove the cylinder studs to get the head off - no matter how claggy they are! There are 12 nuts and one M6 screw - if these are all on the bench it is just gasket sticksion holding them together. A dead blow hammer aimed upward or a carefully applied pry bar across the joint between the fins and twisted NOT smacked with a hammer usually breaks the seal! Trying to remove cylinder studs prior to removing the head would try the patience of a saint as there is little enough thread to get one nut on!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RUSSP said:

I had this problem with my GS1000 you have to remove the head studs I kept putting penertrating oil down the studs and tapping them to loosen the crud around the studs.

I managed to remove them all in the end with the help of a bit of heat but it took about 10 days in the end I had to replace a few of the studs as they were a bit damaged but at one point I didn't think it was going to move but it came away in the end l Hope this helps all the best

I tried with stud extractor, but not enough clearance and no luck with two nuts locked together.Patience and penetrating oil required then.Thanks for reply.

46 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

You emphatically do not have to remove the cylinder studs to get the head off - no matter how claggy they are! There are 12 nuts and one M6 screw - if these are all on the bench it is just gasket sticksion holding them together. A dead blow hammer aimed upward or a carefully applied pry bar across the joint between the fins and twisted NOT smacked with a hammer usually breaks the seal! Trying to remove cylinder studs prior to removing the head would try the patience of a saint as there is little enough thread to get one nut on!

Thanks I will leave it soaking and will get a dead blow hammer and try that:tu

Get a short length of 2"x 1" timber, stick it in the exhaust port at an angle,  and give the end of it a whack.  If it's gasket stiction, it'll move. If the corrosion on the studs has got it, keep doing what you're doing. And...don't go mad with the hammer. Be sympathetic!

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 1

I have been reading this and it surprises me that the head can be so hard to remove...I can understand the barrels being a bugger as the crud can swell at the bottom of the studs but does it build up at the top??

I honestly thought that the head would pop from the gasket when gentle force is applied!!...Stupid question (or not) but are you 100% sure all fasteners are out??

If you do go down that road (diesel), turn it over by hand, not on the button, or hello bent rod! If you ever do get it off, a good tip on here a few years ago was; before fitting barrels/head was, get all the studs nice and clean, cut lengths of heat shrink tubing, fit to studs leaving thread free, and shrink it. Stops the corrosion problem in its track! Still as valid now, as then!

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 1

x 2 alignment bush's - one at each end - bet its stuck on them - you got the cams out so thread some rope or something soft but firm down the plug holes of 1 and 4 as an option to fluid  - maybe just a good heat up around these bush's will do it

Edited by nlovien
dangerous brain cell activity
  • Like 2