6 pots on a bandit.

majortom4

I have just upgraded my mk1 bandit 4 pots to what I believe to be the 6 pots off a busa. After bleeding them up, my lever is really squishy and come back to the bar. They work great but take to much lever pull to work.

i have just fully stripped and cleaned and re-built the callipers as well

is this a problem with the master cylinder not being up to the job??

i believe the busa master cylinder is 5/8 like the bandit one.

tried putting a 16mm master cylinder on and still the same problem. 

Can anyone help me to fix this problem please.

IMG_0260.JPG

Edited by majortom4

I've never had issues using six pots although loads have

Is it lever travel or spongy ness?

if you've fitted Goodrich or something similar fitting a bleed able banjo bolt to master cylender helps

so does leaving cap off and tying lever back over night

this allows the bubbles to come back to master cylender

a lot of lads on the busa forum convert back to 4 post but I've never had an issue on either bike

Before you give up you might want to try this.  I've had a lot of trouble with braided lines and Tokicos, they seem way worse to get air free than Nissins.  And no matter what you think, as you've bled them to death, your issue IS air.  This is in the form of extremely small bubbles in the lines which are small enough to stick to the bores through surface tension.  Bleeding in the conventional way either with the lever or a pressure bleeder won't shift them, the fluid just goes past them and they don't move.  I've tried all the tying lever back etc, never works.  So..

Take the brake calipers off and remove the pads.  With the reservoir open start to push the pistons out with the brake lever.  You will need to add more brake fluid to the reservoir as you go and go slowly, you don't want to pop a piston out.  You will need to jam some of the pistons when they get a fair way out so that the others come out too.  What you are trying to do here is get a good amount of fluid in that caliper.  Now secure the calipers somehow (I never like to leave them hanging off brake lines), put the cap on the reservoir and leave overnight.

Next day take cap off reservoir and start to push the pistons briskly back into the calipers.  Watch how you go as the reservoir will fill up with fluid, which you will need to remove.  When you have all the pistons back in put the pads in and refit the calipers.  Top up reservoir and pump your brakes up, adding fluid as required.  You should now have good brakes.

This is a form of reverse bleeding and it works as the speed you push the fluid out of the calipers is too much for the surface tension of the air bubbles, they are dislodged and the fluid containing them is pushed out of the system at the reservoir where they vent to atmosphere.

Edited by Crass
  • Like 4

Haha guessing people think they are crap then?

i have just put a gsxr 750 SRAD MC on them as they come standard with the 6 pots. bled them up and I now have brakes!! A little better than with the bandit MC but still a decent chunk of lever to pull. 

I like the feel of them to be honest. Will see how they go when I get out for a ride. 

Thanks for that info on bleeding them. Have done that now :-).

I never had a problem with them, yes they can be difficult to bleed and good pads are needed,

both my race bikes had them, My TL and the bandit.. I raced the bandit back in 2001 with original 4 pots then fitted the 6 pots between 01 and 02. were they better? Not sure as changed so many other thins like springs and fork valves so difficult to compare, were they crap, by no means.. I used to be able to outbrake stuff so they must have been OK.. When fitted with proper race compound pads they works very well. They did need looking after more than 4 pots, but they were taken apart and cleaned and greased  all the time anyway, if you are throwing them away ill have them:tu:tu

photo newfolder2023-1.jpgphoto 1232.jpg

• Like 4

They do work ok when looked after, but no better than the 4 pots which take far less maintenance to keep that way, and they bleed up way easier.

Best upgrade is the tokico 4 pots off early s-rad 600 and Tl1000s they perform a bit better than 4 pot nissins.

Zx7rr nissin 6 pots are the real ones to have but are rocking horse poo.

Mv f4 calipers are the same nissin 6 pots but they are a wierd bolt spacing and dont fit.

I find harrision billets are ok but more a bling caliper than performance

Pfm 6 pots are awesome with the matching discs

Any caliper fully working with good discs, braided lines and quality pads should be more than up to the job of stopping well.

A radial master cylinder is avout the best mod you can make to a brake system, feel and control is so much better.

Thats what i have found anyway :-)

Edited by MeanBean49

I run srad 750 6pots wit a brembo mc on my race bike. I'm more than happy with them, they're easily enough to tie me and the chassis in knots.   A mate of mine runs some nissin 4pots from some sort of Triumph, which he raves about, they're a straight swap for Suzuki 4 and 6pots and can picked up for peanuts.

They do have "Triumph" cast into them though......