1127 2nd gear

Swirl

Advice wanted,  I picked up a 1996 gsx1100f last week, this week it has developed a whine in second gear, I have a slabbie and slingy 750 motor knocking about, I have been reading up on 6 speed box swaps, I have read about the 750 being weaker, i've looked for the frankenstein thread but cant find it, which six speed box can i use and is there a how to guide of how to do it thanks Swirl 

Lots been written about this over previous two forums.......personally I wouldn't! 

6 gears in the same space as 5 physically means they are thinner and therefore will carry greater load per tooth power being equal between 750 and 1100

But the torque of the 1100 means it doesn't NEED 6 gears. So, add greater twisting force / torque on gears that are physically smaller and they are likely to fail. Some say they

are fine but could you trust something that is now getting on for 35+ years old? 2nd gears in Suzi boxes are notorious for wearing the dogs - starts with a whine then

jumps out ...... as its coupled with 5th you might have 4 gears to replace!

• Like 1

Lots been written about this over previous two forums.......personally I wouldn't! 

6 gears in the same space as 5 physically means they are thinner and therefore will carry greater load per tooth power being equal between 750 and 1100

But the torque of the 1100 means it doesn't NEED 6 gears. So, add greater twisting force / torque on gears that are physically smaller and they are likely to fail. Some say they

are fine but could you trust something that is now getting on for 35+ years old? 2nd gears in Suzi boxes are notorious for wearing the dogs - starts with a whine then

jumps out ...... as its coupled with 5th you might have 4 gears to replace!

I agree, had to replace 2nd and 5th gears on me b12 too many wheelies n stuff when younger it rounded the dogs off both gears.

But if it is whing probably the output shaft bearing cause been to tight chain, easy to replace but you have to split the crankcases M8.

Will  wizz it out this week and assess,I know its not recommended but which 6 speed box goes straight in, if ive got one it can go backmon the road, engines gotta come out again to get put in the fighter sooner rather than later

Slabby 750 gearbox won't go unless you want to use the slabby clutch because the primary gear shaft and clutch splines are different to all the other oil boilers.  I'd go for a J/K box because the bottom ends are the same.  Also check the primary shaft.  If it's solid and you need it hollow you'll have to get it machined out and you might also need to make a new push rod or push mushroom.

Slabby 750 gearbox won't go unless you want to use the slabby clutch because the primary gear shaft and clutch splines are different to all the other oil boilers.  I'd go for a J/K box because the bottom ends are the same.  Also check the primary shaft.  If it's solid and you need it hollow you'll have to get it machined out and you might also need to make a new push rod or push mushroom.

Is slabby 750 helical clutch gear, 1100f crank is helical drive gear

Slabby Primary gears are straight cut.  Only helical is 1127F Powerscreen.  Keep on forgewtting that some people use 1127Fs.  You are stuck using a 750J/K or a a 750F or a 750L/M box.  One of the engines (might even be a 600 bandit >) has a shorter primary shaft.  If I was putting a 6 speed box in an 1127 I'd just buy a scrapper 750 and see what fitted.  Slabby Race r 1 (750)  has a 750M bos and clutch and I had to make clutch release parts myself  to make it all work but it was a simple job.  

There's the thing I have a slabby engine sat there, would rather keep it 5 speed but if it turns out to be a 2nd gear the price between a j-p model and a r model is ridiculous, is that the year, its on a 96 P reg only way to find the damage is to rip it apart I suppose, cheers for the Info so far