Swirl's Harris

Swirl

4 hours ago, clivegto said:

Yes they are, will do pics and measure tomorrow.

Thank you good sir!

2 hours ago, Dezza said:

When using fancy wheels it soon becomes apparent how heavy tyres and front discs are

I got a bit of a surprise when I weighed my 18" wire wheel and compared it to a cast zx9 wheel - with tyres on, disc but no cush, the ZX9 was 2kg lighter... hate to think how it compares to something properly light.

Edited by Gammaboy
15 hours ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Were the spokey wheels heavier on my Magnum, Yup, could I notice the difference, Nope not really, but I wasn't racing it just bimbling round on track days???:D

it's funny - I really noticed the difference knocking a 1.5kg tube out of the back wheel made - roadbike use only too. When I did the front end, the end difference was only like 700gm, but I dropped another kilo of unsprung shite off the front at the same time, so while i noticed the difference, it wasn't as significant in terms of turn in etc.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Gammaboy said:

it's funny - I really noticed the difference knocking a 1.5kg tube out of the back wheel made - roadbike use only too. When I did the front end, the end difference was only like 700gm, but I dropped another kilo of unsprung shite off the front at the same time, so while i noticed the difference, it wasn't as significant in terms of turn in etc.

I went from stock on a B12 Mk1 to PVM's, AP 6 pots and narrow band discs, Ti bolts on anything and everything that moved or turned on the suspension,ali sprocket with a small rear disc and Harris caliper and mount. Jeez, the difference even on the road is brilliant. steering, flipping side to side, braking and acceleration are vastly improved and less effort.

Downsides ?

A. Cost.......... but in comparison to other avenues to the same goal with no reliability compromise ?

B. Loss of gyroscopic stability ? It can get a little "engaging" on a bumpy,fast B road but a decent damper on it's lowest setting cured that.

FBOB. How much of the rear weight difference was down to the disc ? It's is a bit "generous".   

8 hours ago, clivegto said:

Does anyone know the length of a magnum 2 swinging arm.

Short - much shorter than anything remotely modern as the frame is designed for a huge aircooled engine. Fitting a longer modern swingarm designed for a bike with a tiny engine and rear suspension linkages is going to increase the wheelbase quite a lot. If noone can give you an exact measurement soon I can at the end of the month when I get home.

• Like 1

Having to 're think the marchesni wheels as it appears to be a bit tricky to get road tyres for them, but I do like em though. As a alternative I got me hands on some gsxr 1000k9 wheels & these are just about as light as the marchesnis & I can get tyres for them. On thr plus side the k9 back 20170613_181339.thumb.jpg.a90e0116e2d8fa83e126083ae398dfec.jpg20170613_202123.thumb.jpg.6ae670acb6f32a826ae6d9add53093ac.jpg20170615_185344.thumb.jpg.32b497e6313f99f76f2d4dd318d5ae62.jpgwheel is narrower at the spindle width than the k8 which makes the chain alignment easier.

• Like 1

Hi Clive, 

Apologies, my question was whether yours were 16.5"  as I must of missed that detail, mine are 17 so no problem.

Didn't the Desmosedeici have 16.5 wheels and special Pirelli tyres but not sure if the rear would be too wide for your rim?

Got a 16 tooth 530 3/8 off set front sprocket from debben performance today. Fitted it to the mock up motor on the very edge of the splines. K9 back wheel has two 3mm spacors both sides to centre it in the k8 arm. Turned the back sproket round to gain 2mm & the chain run is spot on, thats with a 190 tyre fitted (6mm between chain & tyre). Only 2mm between inside top rearset mount so will have to trim it down a bit.

20170622_161710.jpg

20170622_173859.jpg

20170622_173544.jpg

20170622_172726.jpg

Edited by clivegto
  • Like 3