Oil cooled engine prices?

Posted (edited)

What should i be paying for a engine with no idea of its miles or history 

Theres a gsxr1100 k engine local to me asking price £700 but no idea of its miles or history or if it even runs sat in a workshop for years apparently.

Also

Gsx1100f 

Bandit 1200

Whats a fair price for these engines with no history. 

Cheers 

Edited by Stevemilne750

If a good running engine complete £700 seems to be the asking price theses days on Eblag O.o but if you don't know anything about the engine and it's been just sat under a bench for years £250 but I wouldn't touch it till I've at least taken the cam cover off, as the cams will probably be fu**ed and are very hard to find theses days. Don't forget if it's been sat there, you will at least need the replace the valve stem seals as they would probably be hard by now, so a gasket set will be needed and that will be at least £150 going of the last I get but that was about 3 years ago.

Seen b12 engines up for sale on here for £400 or less in good condition.

Don't see many gsx1100f engines 

• Like 1

some breakers ask way to much for an engine !!!!  i picked up a complete B12 in a million bits for £500, the engine hadn't run for nearly 10 years but i do know the owner and bike with less than 30.000 miles on it, i did a compression test on the engine (it was out of the frame) and they wern't to bad, its now in my bandit as the bandit engine i took out has a dodgy gearbox !!!!  it runs sweet.  so good ones are out their. buying one with no history is a gamble but should be cheap. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Been sat for a while so basically, spares or repairs so £250 max, something thats looked after and heard running? £400 max.

£700 for something thats been sat? id want the whole bike. 

Edited by BillyR
  • Like 1

@wraithand @TonyGee both make great points, the other thing is why was it removed? Was it goosed and replaced ?,is it from a crashed bike ? Any damage ? How has it been stored ? I've pulled the heads off motors only to find it's been sat with a valve open and moisture has got in a cylinder and rusted that bore ,or worse if it's been sat outside . if you get no guarantee then it's a core for a rebuild imho

• Like 3

It's not exactly difficult for the seller to do a compression test, which would help buyers. I try and avoid breakers, except for a couple of well-known trustworthy types. OSS engine prices are a bit silly now as advertised by breakers, and the tight-arsed bastards usually even also remove as many bits as they can to sell seperately from the blandit engine encrusted with fossilised dirt with broken exhaust studs they want 900 quid for O.o. They need to parachute down from cloud-cuckoo land.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Dezza said:

It's not exactly difficult for the seller to do a compression test, which would help buyers. I try and avoid breakers, except for a couple of well-known trustworthy types. OSS engine prices are a bit silly now as advertised by breakers, and the tight-arsed bastards usually even also remove as many bits as they can to sell seperately from the blandit engine encrusted with fossilised dirt with broken exhaust studs they want 900 quid for O.o. They need to parachute down from cloud-cuckoo land.

yeah they are fuckers for taking carb inlets/starter/genny off and sell them separate and still ask silly money for whats left. >:(

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

£400-500 for a clean looking gsxr motor, with starter inletss and alternator, ,  £400 for a bandit in similar condition.  £700 I'd want to see it running.

:L he's right you know. 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, clivegto said:

I bought one of @Spikeyears ago for a similar price and he fetched it to England as well, top man. I would be surprised if I could get a deal like that now. 

Complete bike also starts for cheap over here 

Screenshot_20240521-002318_Marktplaats.thumb.jpg.8ab8143ddce072f5698003e904b32ded.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...