New aftermarket fork stanchions or originals rechromed...

Zappa

Evening all,

The money pit bandit pig has some lovely deep pits on the important shiny bits and wondered if anyone has bought a set of replacements from the auction site and were pleasantly surprised at the quality, or not, or decided on getting their originals rechromed?

Over the years, I've had a couple of sets rechromed with mixed results, but that was over 20 years ago...This is a reluctant budget build, keep finding crap to sort, but getting there.

I'm not after super fancy pogos, just reliable non leakers that don't need fork seals every week, and don't cost a fortune...don't want much do IxD

I personally prefer to have forks re chromed. Costs around 270 ish now for a set. Have used aftermarket stanchions a few times and not too impressed by the finish. The last set I bought for my slabby  I found the surface to mark very easily. They have been on there around a year now and you can visibly see where dust and road debris have scored the stanchions. They haven't begun to rust though however or show any signs of pitting. 

Only downside to the re chrome option is about a six week turnaround.

29 minutes ago, Toecutter said:

I personally prefer to have forks re chromed. Costs around 270 ish now for a set. Have used aftermarket stanchions a few times and not too impressed by the finish. The last set I bought for my slabby  I found the surface to mark very easily. They have been on there around a year now and you can visibly see where dust and road debris have scored the stanchions. They haven't begun to rust though however or show any signs of pitting. 

Only downside to the re chrome option is about a six week turnaround.

Thanks for your experience on this, I had a feeling that a re chrome would be better longterm for finish durability, but didn't want to discount the aftermarket stuff without info like yours. If I was flogging it, aftermarket would do the job, but I'm leaning to a re chrome. I remember a place up Newcastle way did a great job for me in the 90's but can't remember the name or if they're still going or still good. Do you recommend a place for a good re chrome?      

2 hours ago, imago said:

I replaced the stanchions on a set of B12 forks using the ones made in Italy, Athena I think? They were £325 for the stanchions, seals and oil. Quality seems very good no issues.

I didn't know they did the stanchions, I've seen a load of unknown origin on the auction site, but never know what your gonna get, will have a look around. Cheers

2 hours ago, TonyGee said:

Being a cheap skate and permanently skint !!!  if I was in your situation i'd look round for some used full legs, the last set I bought where £100 and fully rebuilt with seals /oil and springs, even the sliders where mirror polished. :D

You lucky Gee! :D...cheap and skint is a good, so I tell myself every week

• Like 1
On 11/15/2023 at 12:19 AM, Jonny said:

I’ve never had a set rechromed but have bought a few sets from ABE in Greenwich over the years. They used to be £180 p/pair and I never had to buy a second pair for the same bike again.

Cheers Jonny, great there's still one or two old style motorcycle parts manufacturers still left in the London area that haven't been pushed out by developers or investors. I was a dispatch rider in London for a couple of years in the mid 80's, there used to be loads of bike shops etc, getting all nostalgic now...

On 11/15/2023 at 1:17 AM, Dezza said:

Philpots will organize collection and delivery to your door, and for USD, will remove and refit the bottom of the fork, which clearly eliminates all the hassle of doing this potential pig of a job at home :).

Philpots again, they must be great, thanks Dezza.:tu 

13 hours ago, Zappa said:

Philpots again, they must be great, thanks Dezza.:tu 

Evening, thought I'd share some prices and options on the forks stanchions, prices all include VAT, some inc postage some don't etc 

Prices are for conventionals, 1200 Blando pig.

Brooks Suspension: Apart from the massive choice of makes, engineering etc they do new replacements TNK or JMP £180-190 each leg + postage or rechrome service £200 a pair.

AllBike Engineering ABE: Forks, discs shocks etc. Replacements stated on website as being stronger/better than OEM £160 each leg + post.

Auction site: Various sellers £150-£180 per pair inc post.

Philpots: £270 inc pick up and delivery when done, favourite by you good folks.

HCP ltd Nottingham: £180 per pair + post.

There were a couple of others but canno remember but old brain thinks between HCP and Philpots prices.

Hope this list is handy for others. 

Being that the pig has fought me all the way (am halfway only, time or money), and being an unknown ride, I decided for the first ride year, it'll be cheapo jobbies, which spares me cash for better fork springs and bushes etc. Then if I keep, invest in upgrade later...

Not going to be pretty...Fork GAITERS:ph34r: but should keep the crap out and chrome from falling off too quick, no shame here, cardboard fairings and gaiters were a top mod for dispatchers, along with not washing in the old days:D  

• Like 5