Head Cooler Flow

Paulm

Going to fit a head cooler to my turbo GS over the winter,the oil flow will go as in the pic below,so oil to cooler out of cooler to sump as its going to be mounted behind my battery box,does the oil return need to be below the oil level or can it drain from a higher point on the sump? Anyone forsee any issues?

20230925_144909.jpg

27 minutes ago, Paulm said:

Going to fit a head cooler to my turbo GS over the winter,the oil flow will go as in the pic below,so oil to cooler out of cooler to sump as its going to be mounted behind my battery box,does the oil return need to be below the oil level or can it drain from a higher point on the sump? Anyone forsee any issues?

20230925_144909.jpg

Your flows are backwards as the 'head cooler' isn't doing anything and if behind the battery, probably even less. Std. head cooling oil is bizarrely directly from the sump and not cooled at all so the head gets whatever temp that is in the sump. To improve this situation, oil should be routed from the former 'Y' (changed to a straight union) to a cooler (ideally located in good airstream ie. at front) with its other side split via a 'Y' or a 'T' into the rear cam cover ports, or in your case a single line to the billet oil rail. No return to sump is required as all returns are engine internally routed.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Your flows are backwards as the 'head cooler' isn't doing anything and if behind the battery, probably even less. Std. head cooling oil is bizarrely directly from the sump and not cooled at all so the head gets whatever temp that is in the sump. To improve this situation, oil should be routed from the former 'Y' (changed to a straight union) to a cooler (ideally located in good airstream ie. at front) with its other side split via a 'Y' or a 'T' into the rear cam cover ports, or in your case a single line to the billet oil rail. No return to sump is required as all returns are engine internally routed.

Thanks,it ain't going at the front of the bike if it gets fitted though.

35 minutes ago, davecara said:

Behind the battery will still work as the cooler will have sufficient surface area to radiate heat but it wants to be in airflow really 

Sort of true - airflow here is generally minimal and it's also a low pressure zone which won't help! My main cooler is under the seat but has a thermo switched fan due to lack of airflow.

53 minutes ago, davecara said:

Whereabout are you thinking of putting the head cooler?

Behind the battery will still work as the cooler will have sufficient surface area to radiate heat but it wants to be in airflow really 

Here ish be a bit higher up obviously

20230925_170617.jpg

• Like 1

I got my main oil cooler under the seat and head cooler next to downpipe. Head cooler was a must, because otherwise I couldnt get oil temps below 110C while driving, even when fans were on. Airflow is restricted, so it wont cool down. Need to make some kind of air deflector during winter time to get better perfomance out from it.

Head cooler is small "SETRAB STD 110" with 12V SPAL fan on it. Now when Im driving, oil temps are ~80C and I still have possibility to start the fan.

image.thumb.png.7ff46ea71660d93fe38d6b751995e006.png

image.thumb.png.8958fc2b014ad5690a64f8df6a76d00a.png

image.thumb.png.c297d7f49fd3fa422077959ff4bea9c1.png

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Baron said:

I got my main oil cooler under the seat and head cooler next to downpipe. Head cooler was a must, because otherwise I couldnt get oil temps below 110C while driving, even when fans were on. Airflow is restricted, so it wont cool down. Need to make some kind of air deflector during winter time to get better perfomance out from it.

Head cooler is small "SETRAB STD 110" with 12V SPAL fan on it. Now when Im driving, oil temps are ~80C and I still have possibility to start the fan.

image.thumb.png.7ff46ea71660d93fe38d6b751995e006.png

image.thumb.png.8958fc2b014ad5690a64f8df6a76d00a.png

image.thumb.png.c297d7f49fd3fa422077959ff4bea9c1.png

My main cooler is still at the front of the motor where it would traditionally be,I have a billet oil rail and a cooler and some hoses so I thought,why not fit them:tu

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Paulm said:

So , is the head cooler for a GS or GSXR motor ? 

The hose routing is pretty straightforward and the height the cooler is mounted shouldn't be a problem as it's pressurised. The point on the crankcase feeds the cooler with a straight hose. The other outlet on the cooler feeds the two holes in the cam cover so one hose from the cooler fits onto your rail. Otherwise it has to split into two to fit onto each part of the cam cover. From what I have seen of your bike it's going to be a major challenge finding space for the head cooler though. Mine's in the seat unit but that's not an option here. My seat has a big hole in the top so the heat rises up to dissipate. I still made sure I fitted a hugger and a grill on the underside as a stone throught the cooler could easily end in disaster. Position the cooler near the back wheel and a protection grill from stones is going to be a must.