Blandit turbo first ride.

Pegleg

Boss has been out on the Turdo. He's shit hot at setting bikes up and diagnosis on the road. Got 2 psi fuel pump running, engine off. Waiting on some 40 pilots to hopefully sort slight bog off idle. Boost blew the caps of the carb tops so sorted that. Fitted restrictor to the oil feed. Seems to puke oil on initial start after being stood for a week. Maybe restrictor will help. Boss reckons it's his favourite bike to ride, and he test rides everything we do, including ZZR1400's and S1000RR etc. Only comment was it went off a bit after a speedy run, like fuel starvation. Could float heights affect fuel supply? 

Restrictor should help/stop your oil problems,if you go in your shed/garage run the scavenge for a few seconds when you go in there. My scavenge pump is wired to a  permanent live so I can run it for a few seconds before start up and switch off of the motor,I don't have any oil issues,yes float levels can be an issue to fuel starvation. Glad to hear it's going in the right direction, if you're running a slash cut,shine a torch down it to see the colour of the turbine wheel,this will tell you how it's running,saves looking at the plugs.

8 hours ago, Paulm said:

Restrictor should help/stop your oil problems,if you go in your shed/garage run the scavenge for a few seconds when you go in there. My scavenge pump is wired to a  permanent live so I can run it for a few seconds before start up and switch off of the motor,I don't have any oil issues,yes float levels can be an issue to fuel starvation. Glad to hear it's going in the right direction, if you're running a slash cut,shine a torch down it to see the colour of the turbine wheel,this will tell you how it's running,saves looking at the plugs.

Thanks @Paulm. My scavenge is controlled by the Ignitech ECM and is switched on for 4 secs before I start it. I'll see how it goes. Will alter the floats as suggested. Good call looking at the turbine. Aim is to get it feeling right to save time on the dyno. (y)

Getting closer. :banana:

Restrictor sorted the oil supply, no more right leg covered in oil. Fitted 40 pilots which seems to have sorted the idle and part throttle bollox. Only real issue now before getting it on the dyno is it seems the fuel level can't keep up at 6000 rpm ish for about 1/2 a mile. Pull over and let the bowls fill up and its fine. Floats set at 16mm. Wondering if the pump can't get enough fuel from the tank at speed. Possible tank not venting or stock tap restrictive. 

Stock tap is probably a good shout - if this is a Blandit then it only had to supply 120hp, GSXR's maybe about 180hp ! A Pingel will feed at least 370hp as i've done it. Venting possible but again std GSXR tank had no problems with previous noted supply. At 6000 you shouldn't be draining float bowls - what pump are you using? Dead head fuel or with return line? Pre or post carbs FPR position?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Stock tap is probably a good shout - if this is a Blandit then it only had to supply 120hp, GSXR's maybe about 180hp ! A Pingel will feed at least 370hp as i've done it. Venting possible but again std GSXR tank had no problems with previous noted supply. At 6000 you shouldn't be draining float bowls - what pump are you using? Dead head fuel or with return line? Pre or post carbs FPR position?

Yes is a Blandit. Couldn't tell you what pump it is, came with the kit :| You can hear the fuel returning to the tank. Malpassi FPR is plumbed as: Pump feeds FPR. FPR to carbs. Return to the tank via modified guage sender. Boost reference to carb top. Tried the pump pressure at 3 psi, same symptoms. 20231002_110955.thumb.jpg.87bea540e76f0e743a836c84e9fd6ca9.jpg

Edited by Pegleg
On 10/2/2023 at 9:32 AM, Gixer1460 said:

Don't GSXR have external tank vent? @Gixer146020231003_144715.thumb.jpg.46500d6fa48b13718742dfcfe516b27f.jpg

On 10/2/2023 at 1:12 PM, Pegleg said:

Yes is a Blandit. Couldn't tell you what pump it is, came with the kit :| You can hear the fuel returning to the tank. Malpassi FPR is plumbed as: Pump feeds FPR. FPR to carbs. Return to the tank via modified guage sender. Boost reference to carb top. Tried the pump pressure at 3 psi, same symptoms. 20231002_110955.thumb.jpg.87bea540e76f0e743a836c84e9fd6ca9.jpg

You need to take boost reference from pitot tube. This same pitot will also provide air to float bowls.

On 10/2/2023 at 8:17 AM, Pegleg said:

Getting closer. :banana:

Restrictor sorted the oil supply, no more right leg covered in oil. Fitted 40 pilots which seems to have sorted the idle and part throttle bollox. Only real issue now before getting it on the dyno is it seems the fuel level can't keep up at 6000 rpm ish for about 1/2 a mile. Pull over and let the bowls fill up and its fine. Floats set at 16mm. Wondering if the pump can't get enough fuel from the tank at speed. Possible tank not venting or stock tap restrictive. 

Float height, did you set all the floats at the same height, or did you adjust the fuel levels in the bowls?

Because if you just adjusted the heights of the floats, the fuel levels will be different..

Believe it or not.

4 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Float height, did you set all the floats at the same height, or did you adjust the fuel levels in the bowls?

Because if you just adjusted the heights of the floats, the fuel levels will be different..

Believe it or not.

I set the float heights at 16mm as recommended by various guys on here. Apparently the pressure from the fuel pump and Pitot can put pressure on the floats so you need to compensate. Could be wrong.