GSX1400 motor brackets for katana

Ronney

Fitted one into a Kat 750 frame. Standard front mounts fit from memory, rear uppers close but need fettling. We ended up machining a full set specifically. Made a removable rhs frame rail and scooped the lower frame rails so the sump had more clearance. Engine mounts easy enough to make templates so you are happy with where it sits/aligns to be on the safe side before making final mounts. Doable without removable frame rail but it is tight...

6 hours ago, Joseph said:

I was looking at that bike a while back. I had my ET near to it.  Still didn’t look a simple job. 

4-E49-CD2-E-16-CC-4-D7-A-883-B-0764-FE84

I was I interested as I have a spare engineless ET and a crashed 14, but I wanted to use the 14’s  6” rear wheel with a 190 tyre and a decent chain. 

April 2009 !

ADC18-BD8-ACA6-4-A6-E-9-B37-0448468-B93-

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Well building a bike to such a clean condition including an engine swap will never be an easy job indeed. 

That one does sound like an ideal combo though 

Yeah, I think there’s a bit more work gone into it than some folk realise at a glance, it’s very well done.

My comment was aimed more at the original post by Ronney concerning what engine mounts to use. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Toecutter said:

Probably easier to run a separate fuel pump instead of in tank like the 1400. Not a lot of room in the gsx 1100 without major mods. Also loose a bit of fuel capacity. Much easier to transfer bodywork to 1400 frame. But then it's a 1400 with 1100 bodywork on...again not that straight forward. 

My next project is an ET with a 1400 engine. Very optimistic thinking i would like to start that project - and document  it here - this winter this year. 

I still need to transfer the title but the ET is payed for and stored in my mates shed awaiting my free time B|

Still need to source a shit load of 14 stuff to have it running. 

I am planning on using a 1st gen hayabusa fuel pump as they were external. 

Edited by Blubber
  • Like 4
28 minutes ago, Blubber said:

My next project is an ET with a 1400 engine. Very optimistic thinking i would like to start that project - and document  it here - this winter this year. 

I still need to transfer the title but the ET is payed for and stored in my mates shed awaiting my free time B|

Still need to source a shit load of 14 stuff to have it running. 

I am planning on using a 1st gen hayabusa fuel pump as they were external. 

Awesome. Getting the engine to fit isn't that bad. It's all the little bits that add up. A lot of planning and thought processes. All in good time. Good idea with the fuel pump. The modifications to the katana tank pictured were extensive. Cutouts for cam position sensor, fuel tap blank off, fuel return tube, fuel sender machined mounting plates for this and that etc. All good if your tanks not rusted on the inside...a fine case of keep it simple etc. Best of luck for when you get round to it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Toecutter said:

Probably easier to run a separate fuel pump instead of in tank like the 1400. Not a lot of room in the gsx 1100 without major mods. Also loose a bit of fuel capacity. Much easier to transfer bodywork to 1400 frame. But then it's a 1400 with 1100 bodywork on...again not that straight forward. 

their is a few 1400 owners who fit an external fuel pump, theirs plenty of room under the seat for one. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Toecutter said:

From my limited knowledge….

# External pump shouldn’t be a drama. Early Hayabusa’s used an external one, similar early Gen-1’s changed to internal after the first couple of years.

# GSX14’s own tanks have a good size 22ltr tank, however, it has a quite large internal neck. Punching out the breather hole give an extra 1.5 - 2ltrs. I know the 14 tank isn’t a proper Old Skool ET one but it’s similar and the size is nice to have.

# 14’s aren’t an easy lump to find big hp with, they respond well to a full system like a Akra / Yoshi Cyclone, and a dyno mapped Powercommander (flashing the ECU is a bit limited on 14’s).  Cams are next but not cheap. After that you’re digging deep.  A have a few Busa’s / a B-King etc that walk away from mine when the pace is up, but the 14 is so nice to ride, smooth low down grunt, the motor would really suit a retro build that’s not about winning races. 

A 14 powered ET / EX / EF / Kat certainly appeals to me. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TonyGee said:

their is a few 1400 owners who fit an external fuel pump, theirs plenty of room under the seat for one. 

More often 14 owners are fixing, cleaning, changing the pumps internal filters than the pumps. Running an external pump just makes an external filter a natural choice and removes another issue. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Toecutter said:

Have to look out for crash damaged 1400s. They do pop up here and there. The 750 Kat 1400 project had a Yamaha Engine in it to begin with. That's just wrong on many levels. However, it was done quite well. Luckily a crashed 1400 was within reach so all worked out well in the end.

I was bidding on a few at the auctions with no success. I mentioned it in another group. Someone contacted me to say they’d crashed theirs and parked it up. Smashed in tank, headlight, no clocks etc.  I put it back on the road cheap as poss with bits I had to check it out. Strong motor, 3rd gear a bit louder than the others. Done a few long haul runs to see how it go’s. Owes me the equivalent of £1,345 as it now sits. (It’s a LOT rougher than it looks) 

8355-EC13-7813-4-BD2-BC52-19104709-D1-D4

It’s a long way back in the queue but I do have 2 ET frames and sets of trim etc, so threads like this really interest me.

FF408-B5-E-D0-A5-4437-A29-A-AFC136-EE2-B

• Like 1