Intercooler configurations

1 hour ago, no class said:

MB..... how does the IC affect spool time on your set up ?   

Not at all really. Ball bearing turbo spins up that quick the intercooler doesnt affect it. Also has the added bonus of pretty much doubling the capacity of the plenum. Seems to help keep boost up between gear changes. My plenum due to space is fairly small.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I think you'll struggle! Only one I know of was MC Xpress in Sweden.......loadsa money!

Most peeps are switching to water cooled intercoolers - not much use on bikes without water in them!

They don't use the engine coolant on water/ air charge coolers.  Water/air intercooling makes little sense on a bike anyway imho.

Try AH fabrications for a curvy inter cooler.  Thy may give it a go.

Edited by dupersunc

Nothing to stop you using engine coolant water through an intercooler! At a constant 70-80 deg C its certainly cooler than high boost air temps. Standalone liquid intercooler fluid might work for a 7 second blat on a 1/4 mile but it'll soon well exceed the air temp its trying to cool so needs cooling itself!

I was going to try a charge cooler in the future due to lack of space and I don't want to chop up all the pipe work ect again . Was going to mount a small rad up front and an electric water pump and header tank under the seat. Some electric water pumps now can vary the flow rate depending on the temperature. All going depend on how well the radiator can disperse the heat generated. Ideally big air intercooler mounted so it can get lots of air through it.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_1.jpg

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:32 PM, Gixer1460 said:

Nothing to stop you using engine coolant water through an intercooler! At a constant 70-80 deg C its certainly cooler than high boost air temps. Standalone liquid intercooler fluid might work for a 7 second blat on a 1/4 mile but it'll soon well exceed the air temp its trying to cool so needs cooling itself!

Most water/air intercoolers have their own dedicated coolant and radiator. Helps with the packaging on cars and you can run the coolant/ boost at a lower temp.  No reason you couldn't do something similar on an oil boiler, though I don't see an advantage in doing this on a bike installation.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 3/8/2017 at 8:43 AM, colinworth79 said:

I was going totry a charge cooler in the future due to lack of space and I don't want to chop up all the pipe work ect again . Was going to mount a small rad up front and an electric water pump and header tank under the seat. Some electric water pumps now can vary the flow rate depending on the temperature. All going depend on how well the radiator can disperse the heat generated. Ideally big air intercooler mounted so it can get lots of air through it.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_1.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but has you or anybody else managed to try if air to water works or not on bikes? More and more modern cars seem to be running air-water cooling. For example 1.0 tsi vw golf/skoda octavia (3 cylinder versions) run a quite good looking boltable cooler package on the intake, which seems to be "easy" bolting to a custom manifold. The heat exchanger is similary sized to a brick so would be doable install to plenum.

I am considering air to water intercooling with seperate heat excanger from bikes water cooling circuit setup for my upcoming build as there is no room for an actual intercooler on my bike. Might be able to fit a thin extra radiator at the front or a motocross style vertical radiator next to the front cylinder but no way an thick actual air-air intercooler without completely removing the oem radiator and building a custom cooling setup from scratch (which I rather not do). Future turbo build bike is not an oil boiler but SV 1000 S so a V2 engine with room on both sides of the front cylinder. Other side of the front cylinder will be taken by the turbo though.

Air-water cooling sounds tempting over water-methanol spraying, as there wouldn't be need to fill up time to time with "boost juice".