dot head and carbs

nlovien

See if you fit a dot head to something like a GSXR1100L - given the raised port roof advantage - do you need to be selective with the carbs ? i.e. does the dot head need carbs that have the float bowls at an angle to match the port or can you use the std 36 / 38mm CV's from the L ( or bandit motor)

cheers

Yep, billet tops will fix this issue or we have done another with notched frame inside, these carbs and dot head made 147bhp, so worth it for sure! 

I had them on my 750.g also same issues ,if you want to run 38,s then you will have to get carb top solution.  As for tap pingel dual outlet only way to go, with slingshot you may have to dress tap mount area dished in buy 10mm or so. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Fula28
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Fula28 said:

Yep, billet tops will fix this issue or we have done another with notched frame inside, these carbs and dot head made 147bhp, so worth it for sure! 

I had them on my 750.g also same issues ,if you want to run 38,s then you will have to get carb top solution.  As for tap pingel dual outlet only way to go, with slingshot you may have to dress tap mount area dished in buy 10mm or so. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Where did the carb tops come from? I've got the same combo for my 750f

great picture - taking what looks like the 38mm tops are almost flush with the cam cover as a guide, quick check and i'm fine for 36mm carbs but going to have frame clash with the 38's  - this could turn out to be the reason to port the std L head versus fit a dot one - or stick with the 36mm carbs, funny how decisions can be sorted by not so initially obvious things - thanks :tu

aha! even better idea, so if you're looking for that reason to go bag a set of 38mm mikuni FS smoothbores - this is it :D they will fit no bother - and they come with sloped carb tops as an added adv.

• Like 1

I may have forgotten this but is there an advantage to the raised port or is the advantage mostly from the added compression and the cams.

If one was doing a big bore for example and high compression pistons. Would you necessarily need the dot head for anything rather than just use the cams out of it?

Edited by boilerdude

in my limited knowledge, raising the roof on the inlets for most of the older generation engines is a good thing - especially on 4 valve heads - huge subject that requires expert knowledge versus opinion but my stab at an explanation is 

1) helps to unmask more of the valve circumference and reduces the negative impact of the turn into the valve pocket on the port low side = better flow

2) helps to promote tumble down into the bore - this tumble down works on 4 valve heads whereas swirl around the valve and across the head works on 2 valve motors

this is internet warrior info versus hard earned experience, so it could be fake news  

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Fula - what did you do to the dot head to get 147hp ?  A std dot head normally nets a handful of horses on 1100R, a lot more on B12s with cams as well. The only way I've ever managed to get BIG gains is with flowing work, often pretty subtle looking work. I'm guessing you had some head work ......147 is a good figure with standard capacity....nice !

The high entry on dot heads eases the short turn radius and helps open up the front of the valve/port - the floor at this point is eased to help this when you get a head flowed. There's a slight help with gravity too, but not like true downdraft heads.

• Like 1