1100 EFE wider rear wheel

I’m road racing 1100 EFE, and I’m allowed to change both wheels. I would like to run a wider rear 17, doesn’t have to be huge, a 4.5 rim would be ok i think. I can change the swing arm. My question is, is there an arm that will fit the frame, maybe with some work, then presumably i would use a wheel intended for that arm? And what about the chain run? And the shock? Thanks Tom 

you should be able to get a Bandit 600 wheel in your swinger (4.5 inch) with a milled down sprocket carrier and a slight offset front sprocket. 

you might need the B6 calliper and hanger as well if its under slung or use a GS 500 calliper if its on top. 

Edited by TonyGee

I've not heard or read the words 'road racing' and 'efe' in the same sentence since MIck Grant rode an EFE in the production TT back in the mid 80s. What class are you racing it in? You are braver than me and good luck! :)

• Like 2

It’s in early stocks, I think it will be ok, can’t be worse than the twin shock one I used to race! Thank you I’ve got a bandit 600 wheel on the way. Not sure if this is the right way to ask, but, forks: I can go up to 43mm but not upside down ones. I’m concerned re the length, for ground clearance reasons. So, are there any Suzuki forks 43mm diameter, that are the same length as the original ones? I know they can’t be any shorter as I had clearance problems at Anglesey on the Katana I raced. Any help much appreciated. Thanks Tom 

49 minutes ago, Tom said:

It’s in early stocks, I think it will be ok, can’t be worse than the twin shock one I used to race! Thank you I’ve got a bandit 600 wheel on the way. Not sure if this is the right way to ask, but, forks: I can go up to 43mm but not upside down ones. I’m concerned re the length, for ground clearance reasons. So, are there any Suzuki forks 43mm diameter, that are the same length as the original ones? I know they can’t be any shorter as I had clearance problems at Anglesey on the Katana I raced. Any help much appreciated. Thanks Tom 

bandit 1200 forks are 43mm, but i think they are a bit shorter than yours, you can make them longer though, i did a thread on here somewhere, i'll see if i can find it !!!!!  

Yes they are shorter, I think they are around 780 mm while the original ones are more like 850. I would love to know how to make them longer, don’t want to have to do some horrible cut and shut type thing though really. Any help appreciated. 

50 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yes they are shorter, I think they are around 780 mm while the original ones are more like 850. I would love to know how to make them longer, don’t want to have to do some horrible cut and shut type thing though really. Any help appreciated. 

I can't find the thread i did on the bandit extensions !!!!  crap with computers :$ help someone !!!!  

Stock efe forks stand proud of the top yoke due to the design of the bars so replacements don't have to be that long. And it has a 16 inch wheel too as stock, so assuming you'll be using a 17 for taking it on the track you'll get some height back there. Blandit forks are 43mm but don't have damping adjustment; GSXR1100K forks are 43mm and have (rudimentary) comporession and rebound adjusters. Same goes with 750j,k forks but they may be shorter than 1100 units as the 1100 had the clipons on top of the yoke. Someone more knowledgeable than me may be able to confirm :)

Another possible alternative to bandit12 forks are vstrom , they're already longer , are 43mm and the 1000cc version has 4 pot calipers,and they are cartridge forks not damper rod like the 650, the fitting of a 17 might need a bit of faffing about with spacers etc but overall worth 10 minutes checking them out

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DAZ said:

@Tom are you going to put a build / race thread up in OSS racers section ? I'm sure there will be plenty of interest :tu

I am very interested in this and how an EFE can be modded to behave into and through bends. The last time I rode a near stock EFE was decades ago but I definitely don't remember thinking: "This thing needs to be on track."

• Like 3
On 7/24/2024 at 1:04 PM, Dezza said:

I am very interested in this and how an EFE can be modded to behave into and through bends. The last time I rode a near stock EFE was decades ago but I definitely don't remember thinking: "This thing needs to be on track."

Decent Aftermarket Rear Shock makes huge difference ..:tu 

• Like 1

What about Yamaha fjr1300 forks? They are pretty long, and they have good brakes. I don't know the diameter of them though.

I'm running sv1000 forks on my gs but theyre 46mm so will be too beefy for you. But they're excellent if anybody else is looking for good regular forks for their classic build.

• Like 1

ZZR1100 forks are basic at best. I used to have one. Ok for blasting to the Bol and back at 120 mph but maybe not a good starting point for track use. ZRX have damping adjusters and are really long so if 43mm may be a feasible option.

Hello and thank you for all the help. When the build gets a bit further along I’ll post some images if folks are interested. Project has now expanded to two bikes, one EFE and one ES. Ok I’m going with Daz suggestion of V Strom forks, 43 mm and long enough. I just know I need to be able to get the front high enough to get enough ground clearance, Anglesey in particular is a problem due to the high quality tarmac. So now, front wheel. It needs to be 17 inch, and I want 320 or 310 mm discs, and ideally want to use R1 blue spot calipers. I know work will be required but does anyone know what will be easiest/ possible to fit?? Thanks Tom 

I've got a katana (fitted with oil cooled engine) and I've got gsxr1100 forks with uprated internals, not had any ground clearance problems. Also got a gsx1100et (again with oil cooled engine) but with b12 MK1 forks fitted with progressive fork springs again no problems with ground clearance. Ride both around Cumbria/Northumberland that are not the smoothest of roads. Both have b12 front wheels fitted with standard b12 sized discs which are 310mm (if my brain remembers right xD)

The discs that fit OSS 17 inch wheels are to my knowledge all 310mm. The most cost effective way to get 320mm discs is a wheel from a Yamaha or Ducati of similar age. The disc fitments for many Yamaha, Ducati, Aprilia and KTM are the same so discs are interchangeble. There is some offset variation though.

• Like 1