Bandit 12 running issues

Hello folks been away from suzukis for a while bought my self a 97 bandit 1200 s at the weekend no mot and requiring carb work its been sat of the road forv3yrs so might just need carbs cleaned again but the guy said he rekons it needs float needles. 

I thought maybe imulsion tubes not stripped the carbs yet the symtoms are takes ages to start from cold once it does it runs rough then eventually clears and idles ok and will then start fine but if you try and ride it it bogs down when you  open throttle and conks out sometimes.

Does this sound  like float valves or imulsion tubes symptoms? 

Possibly just in need of a strip and clean. 

Cheers

Steve

IMG_20240121_092505.jpg

On 1/22/2024 at 12:02 PM, Swiss Toni said:

Give YamahaCarbCleaner a go before you strip down. If it solves your problem, great! If not, at least all your internals will be nice and clean. Go for the red label, if available. Yellow label is useless shoite!

FAD46D60-6138-4053-AEB3-91F8CB56E84C.jpeg

Got any details on where this is available from ? Yamaha dealers ?

On 1/22/2024 at 12:02 PM, Swiss Toni said:

Give YamahaCarbCleaner a go before you strip down. If it solves your problem, great! If not, at least all your internals will be nice and clean. Go for the red label, if available. Yellow label is useless shoite!

FAD46D60-6138-4053-AEB3-91F8CB56E84C.jpeg

So is that the stuff you put in the fuel and run the bike?

Never heard of it before, but if you say it's good, it's good ;)

6 hours ago, wraith said:

So is that the stuff you put in the fuel and run the bike?

Never heard of it before, but if you say it's good, it's good ;)

@wraithIt is good stuff! I used to get it on Westgate Hill. Around £10 a bottle. Recommended mix was, iirc, 4 parts gas-1 part YCC. The required volume is fed to the carbs. Crank the engine without starting to pull mix through. Leave for 12 hrs. If no improvement, repeat. It never fails. Can go stronger mix if required. I kid you not. 

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

@wraithIt is good stuff! I used to get it on Westgate Hill. Around £10 a bottle. Recommended mix was, iirc, 4 parts gas-1 part YCC. The required volume is fed to the carbs. Crank the engine without starting to pull mix through. Leave for 12 hrs. If no improvement, repeat. It never fails. Can go stronger mix if required. I kid you not. 

I will have to keep my eye out for some (y)

has it done a lot of miles ? if so it could be worn needles and emulsion tubes ?  this is probably not your problem but the Mk1 has an O ring under the float valve seat that cracks with age and cause leaks. still worth replacing anyway :tu 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, TonyGee said:

has it done a lot of miles ? if so it could be worn needles and emulsion tubes ?  this is probably not your problem but the Mk1 has an O ring under the float valve seat that cracks with age and cause leaks. still worth replacing anyway :tu 

The last owner did say to me he thought it was a  float valve problem i, ll have a look at those seals thanks. 

Only done 29k

Edited by Stevemilne750
8 hours ago, Upshotknothole said:

Lowering the needles a notch or two is a quick and easy way to test if the emulsion tubes are worn without the hassle of removing the carbs. You can also check the needles at the same time to make sure they're not worn. Stock carbs or do they have a jet kit?

Im p

8 hours ago, Upshotknothole said:

Lowering the needles a notch or two is a quick and easy way to test if the emulsion tubes are worn without the hassle of removing the carbs. You can also check the needles at the same time to make sure they're not worn. Stock carbs or do they have a jet kit?

Worth a try as far as i know its stock carbs. 

Im not great with carbs just how do i check needles or imulsion tubes for wear? 

Thanks 

Carefully remove the cap off of one of the carbs. There's a small o-ring under it that you don't want to lose, and a large rubber diaphragm that you need to be careful with as well. Lift the diaphragm up from the carb body and the slide will come up with it. Hanging out the bottom of the slide is the needle. Once it's out of the carb, you can carefully pull the needle out of the slide. Make a note of where all of the spacers are on it. Small adjustments go a long way with the needle height. Usually if the needle is worn, there will be obvious scrape marks or wear signs.

Emulsion tubes are a lot more work to get to, and the wear on them is a lot less obvious. For now, if the needles have multiple slots for the clip to go, you'll want to move the clip up to the next higher notch, lowering the needle slightly when you insert it back into the carb. If the needles don't have multiple slots, this won't work and you can reassemble the first carb that you opened up.

If you're able to lower all of the needles one notch, take it for a test ride and any bogging you had in the mid range that was due to worn emulsion tubes, should be slightly better now.

Edited by Upshotknothole
clarification
  • Like 1

Still sounds like a blockage remains. Personally I'd strip the carbs again completely and soak everything (minus rubber and plastic bits) in a sealed contaner of mixed cellulose thinners and acetone, ultrasonic the lot (twice), and rebuild.

The emulsion tube can wear oval , I've heard you can check using the shank ( not the fluted end !) Of a snug fitting drill to help see the wear ..... Worth a try before swapping them as they're about £20 each....

• Like 2

Put some fresh fuel in it last weekend and it just turned over and wouldnt start i came home from work today  Friday evening and turned it over fired up after 30 seconds or so and ran pretty good took it for a quick run first time on a bandit 12 what a hoot i was going to mot it and sell it but think i, ll hold on to it for summer and see how i get on with it. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 1/23/2024 at 7:29 PM, Stevemilne750 said:

Is this suff not similar to the yamaha stuff got recommended this from someone but never heard of it. Screenshot_20240123_192805_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.91b6bd186d55543dcefcb67550d5d287.jpg

I've used that stuff on my vmax. Toolstation sell it. It works in the end. There used to be German stuff called profi I think. It was amazing! Think gretta has stopped its sale now.