GS1000 vs GSX1100 weight.

imago

3 minutes ago, wraith said:

The good old days when you could pick up one of these motors and put it on your bench. Now my back starts twinging just looking at a oil cooled motor never mind a air cooled one xD

It starts when you find that limit point where you can get it up off the floor, or down off the bench, but going beyond that you know is going to end in disaster.

This hydraulic table has been an invaluable piece of kit. Slide an engine off the rack, or lift it off the floor onto the table (6").

20231024_120841(1).thumb.jpg.59eb4111bcd04f69d0f614bf17fd5365.jpg

Then you can either work on the table, or let it down to the height of the bench, back of the van or whatever and slide it on. (y)

20231025_105808.thumb.jpg.739d08ddfe93f03ebcb7a55a1c154ef8.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, imago said:

It starts when you find that limit point where you can get it up off the floor, or down off the bench, but going beyond that you know is going to end in disaster.

This hydraulic table has been an invaluable piece of kit. Slide an engine off the rack, or lift it off the floor onto the table (6").

20231024_120841(1).thumb.jpg.59eb4111bcd04f69d0f614bf17fd5365.jpg

Then you can either work on the table, or let it down to the height of the bench, back of the van or whatever and slide it on. (y)

20231025_105808.thumb.jpg.739d08ddfe93f03ebcb7a55a1c154ef8.jpg

Quite agree. My bike bench has came in for not just lifting the bike up (y)

• Like 1

Give or take they will be both summer, I think the gsx is slightly higher but not by much and you get more hp with the gsx. 

You can shave weigh off them old skool ways, remove the foam from the sprocket cover and cut some of it out/drill holes put a geny and starter clutch on from a smaller bike. I remember YJ doing this on one of his gs1000 build's and he even drilled holes in all the cooling fins on the head and barrels.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, wraith said:

The good old days when you could pick up one of these motors and put it on your bench. Now my back starts twinging just looking at a oil cooled motor never mind a air cooled one xD

Heaviest motor I ever lifted was a H*n*a VF1000. What a weight! I also had a CBX1000Z six on the bench. I thought, ‘If that goes, it’s taking me with it’! Admitted defeat. Got help. 

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, wraith said:

. I remember YJ doing this on one of his gs1000 build's and he even drilled holes in all the cooling fins on the head and barrels.

Even though it did ...It was a HP mod the  Clue is in his name 

Revshotclutch also did it was an article in Superbike Mag 

Edited by Duckndive

I reckon half the time with modifications, lightening things, frame bracing etc the hard part is knowing when to stop. Without doing anything at all a bike's capabilities will far exceed most rider's.

This question is/was part of weighing (excuse the pun!) up the benefits of building an 8v motor for the Dresda vs using the 16v I already have. It really is a no brainer in that a GS motor would cost a fortune to build properly for no advantage other than looking a bit more 'period'. 

1 hour ago, imago said:

I reckon half the time with modifications, lightening things, frame bracing etc the hard part is knowing when to stop. Without doing anything at all a bike's capabilities will far exceed most rider's.

This question is/was part of weighing (excuse the pun!) up the benefits of building an 8v motor for the Dresda vs using the 16v I already have. It really is a no brainer in that a GS motor would cost a fortune to build properly for no advantage other than looking a bit more 'period'. 

Very true, I do like the look of a gs1000 motor and they sound great but good parts are hard to find and costly these days but saying that the gsx11 is going the same way but you already have a gsx or two 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Well, as the Yanks say … ‘There ‘ain’t no substitute fer cubes’! :banana:

Which is right to a point, but if you go too far past the square you gain torque but start to lose out on hp and reduce the revs at the top end and even then you need huge valves to fill the cylinder. So unless you go down the forced induction route you don't want to be going much past the 1200 cc mark. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, wraith said:

Very true, I do like the look of a gs1000 motor and they sound great but good parts are hard to find and costly these days but saying that the gsx11 is going the same way but you already have a gsx or two 

Yeah, without those the only sensible/reasonable choice would be an oil boiler, but the 1052 stuff is starting to get hard to find now too.

There are quite a few projects people are putting together on here which either won't be possible or will be prohibitively expensive to start from zero with in a few years.

• Like 1
On 10/29/2023 at 9:45 PM, johnr said:

1100 is 8 valves heavier......

xD

Think the difference for a lot of us on here is in are teens and twenties we just picked them up 

In are thirties and forties we would think better be careful lifting this and in are fifties and later it's, I'm not fucking lifting that :D

Though a good way of tricking yourself into lifting them, is try lifting the shafty engines first, make the chain drive ones feel light:D

• Like 3
On 11/4/2023 at 10:25 PM, gsxwill said:

xD

Think the difference for a lot of us on here is in are teens and twenties we just picked them up 

In are thirties and forties we would think better be careful lifting this and in are fifties and later it's, I'm not fucking lifting that :D

Though a good way of tricking yourself into lifting them, is try lifting the shafty engines first, make the chain drive ones feel light:D

A reason my Excessive 1100 Yamahas went to newer homes, if maneuverin

On 11/4/2023 at 10:25 PM, gsxwill said:

xD

Oh aging disgracefully:

My moved on Excessive Eleven Yam springs to mind:   

If manouevring the pregnant brontosaurus around (never mind the intoxicating wollow when riding) just failed to cause injury to me, lifting those engines certainly did.  Now it is moving the Katana with it's clip ons. 

Saves on gym membership I suppose.