Mikuni RS36 on 1100N

Mutley

So...this is baby...GSXR1100N powered hardtail fondly known as the Mongröl.

I have had enough trying to bang my head on the wall of getting her to run tidy on those 40mm CV carbs with pods and an open pipe...so have ordered myself a set of Mikuni RS36 flatslides to go on instead.

So...so far by reading threads on here I am thinking MK1 Bandit inlet rubbers (as GSXR750 L/M ones are just too rare now), 50mm velocity stacks and ram air dual sock filters...

...and then a push/ pull throttle set-up...and that is my main question...what push/ pull throttle are people using, and happy with who have similar set-ups...?

I am based in the UK.

20220227_151730.thumb.jpg.f615934a0ba4a78236106ff1b7162f10.jpg

Hi Mutley ,welcome aboard if you are buying your rs carbs new then have a look @Dezzasticky about inlet rubbers as it says 34/36/38 rs carbs all share the same size 42mm  stub so if you've not bought them yet 38s maybe better suited to your 1100 n motor .....:tu

4 minutes ago, DAZ said:

Hi Mutley ,welcome aboard if you are buying your rs carbs new then have a look @Dezzasticky about inlet rubbers as it says 34/36/38 rs carbs all share the same size 42mm  stub so if you've not bought them yet 38s maybe better suited to your 1100 n motor .....:tu

Hiya Daz...I have read it...but to be honest, running a hardtail frame I feel the bottom/ midrange power the 36's will provide is a better bet than the 38's.

To be honest...anything over 120 and you are really unsure if you are getting out alive...xD

It will mean a good/ clean set of 40's, with inlet rubbers and Pipercross filters will be up for grabs later in the year if anyone is interested...had new diaphragms only last year...:tu

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, DAZ said:

I run 38s on my 7/11 and they move the power pretty high up in the revs. Makes for a really boring bike in town(unless you're speeding everywhere), with the taller 5 speed gearing, and the peaky power.  For a general all around bike that keeps good mid range, 36s tend to be better.

I've used Motion Pro throttles in the past with RS carbs, in Europe Domino is probably easier to get. You'll probably need custom cables made, though looking at your bike more, GSXR throttle cables might be about the right length.

1 hour ago, Upshotknothole said:

I run 38s on my 7/11 and they move the power pretty high up in the revs. Makes for a really boring bike in town(unless you're speeding everywhere), with the taller 5 speed gearing, and the peaky power.  For a general all around bike that keeps good mid range, 36s tend to be better.

I've used Motion Pro throttles in the past with RS carbs, in Europe Domino is probably easier to get. You'll probably need custom cables made, though looking at your bike more, GSXR throttle cables might be about the right length.

We can get the Motion Pro kits here...so good to know they work OK...:tu

Am thinking standard length cables would be about right...as my bars are similar height to the standard drops... they are in fact just a set of Renthalls... but upside down and backwards...xD

• Like 1

I use a Motion Pro twistgrip and cables for RS38s. The set up works fine but the quality of parts are not 100%. E.g. I had to modify one cable slightly so the adjuster turned freely on the cable sheath or else the adjuster couldn't adjust. The cables where they meet the housing are also bulky. I use clipons and a Brembo race radial m/c and have to position the brake lever between the two cables. A more 'normal' m/c and flat-ish bars may have presented a problem. If I was putting flatslides on another bike I think I'd try and use a push-pull separate twistgrip housing that's an OEM fitting for another bike, e.g. Hond@ fartblade, and then try and mix and match opener and closing cables from other bikes depending on the lengths required.

13 hours ago, DAZ said:

Hi Mutley ,welcome aboard if you are buying your rs carbs new then have a look @Dezzasticky about inlet rubbers as it says 34/36/38 rs carbs all share the same size 42mm

They dont.

Rs 34 are the same physical size as BST34, so they use those factory inlets (40mm spigots)

Rs 36 and 38 are the same physical size as BST36, with a 42mm spigot so they can use those inlets

Edited by Joseph
1 hour ago, Joseph said:

They dont.

Rs 34 are the same physical size as BST34, so they use those factory inlets (40mm spigots)

Rs 36 and 38 are the same physical size as BST36, with a 42mm spigot so they can use those inlets

Thanks for that ! Knowledge is always welcome, hopefully @Dezza will see this and amend his thread (y)

I'm looking at the RS manual now and in the data table it states that RS34 (for oil cooled Suzukis),36 and 38 all have 42mm spigots, that RS34 for some FZ600 have 38mm spigots, RS34s for (later?) FZ600, Kawasaki 600/750 (wc?) have 40mm spigots. The only RSs spaced to fit oil cooled Suzukis that do not have 42mm spigots are RS40, which have 44mm spigots. The RS manual is freely available on interwebs. The data on the table on the sticky only relates to oil cooled Suzukis and therefore does not need amending :)

RS.jpg

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I've used - https://www.orientexpress.com/p-16915-motion-pro-pushpull-throttle-kit.aspx a few times and works fine, I've also used a 'normal' single cable, pull only on RS's without drama, using the std. closing spring :tu I think a M8 uses a std mk1 Blandit throttle assy on his, if you want a cheap option!

OK...and no issues running with a single cable set up then...?

I had read somewhere that you can tweak the spring on RS carbs, as in you can clip it round and make it a bit more 'springy'...so it snaps back better...?

The two push/pull aftermarket ones were indeed Motion Pro and Domino...so am still looking...but if I could just hook up my existing throttle...even better...but not sure how safe it would be...xD

38 minutes ago, DAZ said:

Thanks for clearing that up @Dezza,strange but wonderful that they offer the same size (34mm RS) carb with 3 different spigot sizes in this age of rationalisation it's so good that a company is still offering choice over a one size fits all approach 

Indeed, but that said, the inlet spigot spacing on oil cooled engines still clocks in at 78-90-78 so for some reason Mikuni provides them slightly off xD

On 7/14/2023 at 10:26 AM, Mutley said:

OK...and no issues running with a single cable set up then...?

I had read somewhere that you can tweak the spring on RS carbs, as in you can clip it round and make it a bit more 'springy'...so it snaps back better...?

The two push/pull aftermarket ones were indeed Motion Pro and Domino...so am still looking...but if I could just hook up my existing throttle...even better...but not sure how safe it would be...xD

I personally would not run RS carbs with just one cable. I've had them hang before and feel if it werent for the return cable, I'd have crashed.

I can't imagine adding more spring to the RS throttle than it already has. I run mine at the lowest setting (and 1 spring disconnected) and it's still quite the wrist workout.

I've been using the Motionpro kit on several bikes for years.. no issues thusfar. You just gotta "choke up" on it if you know your going to hit throttle stop.

I'd try a Domino if they werent so damned pricey

I'm building a bike right now and fitting Bandit throttle assy and MK1 cables. the cable bend on the carb end is less than ideal but it looks like it will work well enough..

FYI: MK2 cables wont work; the inners are too long so there is far too much slack for them to function

Edited by WeirdJimmy
typos
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, WeirdJimmy said:

1206151611a.thumb.jpg.77a001b6cf2d6e2b9d7664da539b6c93.jpg

Very nice...where do you purchase these then fella...?

Got to make life much easier.

And no frame issues...as mine is in a hardtail frame...so got more room above the carbs...but have a single top tube...so a side mount could make life much simpler...:tu