Stick Coil Conversion

I'm starting the conversion on a Bandit 400. I've done the same conversion on my track bike, 1994 GSXR 750w. I will post more details and video as it goes. You can probably find others here that have done the same thing on your particular bike in the "Search". Below is the Bandit in process and where I originally got the idea and "How to...".

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg

• Like 4

I'm no electrickery expert but I think if the sticks are paralleled like opt 2 you'll get 12v but circuit resistance is halved so twice the amps will flow - so stressing the ignition amp transistors. 12v @ 3 ohms = 4A, 12v @ 1.5 ohms = 8A. But parallel gives 12v @ 0.75 ohms = 16A! Please get an adult to check the above.

• Like 3

As everyone has said, You should run them in Series as you need to load them coils up. Ideally, you will want the resistance to be between 3-5 ohms, If you can't get 3-5 ohms with a pair in series, you'll need to add a high wattage resistor in line. (40-50 watt), you can heat sink it to the frame.

Not enough resistance will give a poor spark, plus other problems.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Kat looks interesting!

The coil conversion principles should be pretty much the same for all 4 cylinder Jap bikes that are originally equipped with double coils. Exact details of some weird H or K or whatever bikes are out of scope of this forum ;)