Found in sump

dago

the end of it looks like it sheared off something, though hard to tell as well chewed, it looks like it used to be square? it's solid apart from what looks like a small oil way through it. no spring. why do they make the sump filter screen non removeable pain to clean properly

Edited by dago

i thought start clutch but they're hollow and were all accounted for, have searched alpha sport diagrams & pics in manual and on line i can't find anything similar,could have been in there age as bought engine second hand and recently found it way to sump or dropped in there during top end rebuild 10 yrs ago, sump last off 3 yrs ago when i fitted complete new starter clutch, also fitted lockup clutch a couple of years ago and every thing was fine then, just going to ride it and try not to worry cheers for the replies keep the suggestions coming

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 8:48 PM, dago said:

i thought start clutch but they're hollow and were all accounted for, have searched alpha sport diagrams & pics in manual and on line i can't find anything similar,could have been in there age as bought engine second hand and recently found it way to sump or dropped in there during top end rebuild 10 yrs ago, sump last off 3 yrs ago when i fitted complete new starter clutch, also fitted lockup clutch a couple of years ago and every thing was fine then, just going to ride it and try not to worry cheers for the replies keep the suggestions coming

I don't wish to impugn your skills dago but were all the previous starter clutch bits accounted for?

We all make mistakes! (don't ask, LOL).

They were all found, didn't quite punch through the outer bit, sort of like a hanging chad. Didn't look like anything from there had it apart enough time hence the over £200 on compete new after a few second hand ones and replacement rollers ect. Cheers for the reply though

On 1/19/2020 at 1:39 PM, BigT said:

The only magnetic piece in the motor should be the magnet on the oil drain plug

That's right, we discuss Suzuki's here.  My first bike was a XV750 (Y-brand).  The starter to ring-gear engagement design caused steel shavings to come loose inside the crankcase.  Instead of coming up with a better design; the engine came from the factory with a magnet installed just below where the shavings were coming off.