GS engine strip a go go

Well, 10 hours with parts washer n toothbrush. Not found anything too scary.

Though the sump did kinda worry me, strainer totally utterly rammed n a couple of crankcase lodgers!!! 

Anyone got any idea on the bit of ally? Fooked if I can see any webs/fins or similar broken. 

Gotta pick up a 32mm socket for clutch centre, then I can totally split the crank n maybe I'll see where it's from.

15 years on my mates bench n everything looks well up to now. 

I know what your thinking " how can all be well if they fell outta bottom of crank?". Yep that's what I thought but fingers crossed 

Edited by treephoenix
Duplicate post
2 hours ago, bluedog59 said:

I've got a 32 mm. I'll put it and the big breaker bar in the car so text me during the day to remind me to drop it round.(y)

PS, Remember to post pictures, we like pictures on here.:banana: 

Ok, cool.

I somehow managed to post twice n there's a picture on the other post.....D'oh!

I'm blaming the phone. 

DSC_0081.JPG

9 hours ago, treephoenix said:

Ok, cool.

I somehow managed to post twice n there's a picture on the other post.....D'oh!

I'm blaming the phone. 

DSC_0081.JPG

The bit of casting looks like the remains of an oil filler cap, the one that sits on top of the clutch cover.......+1 for the black shite on the strainer being clutch debris

It's very light and when I got into the crankcase there looked to be a piece of the same material which myself n Bluedog thought may fit onto the bottom of the long cam chain slipper.  Everything in there looks OK though. Nothing nasty

Would post a pic of the bit Bluedog n I found but can't pissing find it.

My phone camera is pretty shite really but all looks well with bottom end.

Now to get things to the polisher n decide what I'm actually doing. I am definitely painting motor black n know prep is key. Question is before I get to it do I try vapour blasting or do I d.i.y soda blast?

Anyone? 

DSC_0095.JPG

Hours of scraping, parts bath n pressure washing........vapour blast? 

Though I've owned n maintained shit loads of bikes......Yes mainly big Suzukis......this is my first full build of a 4 engine.

Anything common with these and anything I should pay particular attention to?

Thanks in advance peeps 

DSC_0096.JPG

• Like 1

Just got in from shed after ripping down engine 2 a bit more. Split crank to find a perfectly intact bottom guide sat in place. Sorry if I'm being a bit basic fellas but this is my first full four pot Suzuki build, many of you probably seen loads of these guides........represents one less worry for me atm ;-)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't see anything wrong anywhere apart from the broken guide.

Po pulled top end off n it sat on his bench for years n I kept bugging him til he eventually let me have it back. 

I've been spending my time looking for tank........fruitless, ridiculous and frustrating. 

May have to look foralternatives!

• 4 weeks later...