Swirl's Harris

Swirl

Do you have a pile of workshop rags, chamois leathers and such to wash in the washing machine and engine parts to clean in the dishwasher if you have one? And then there's the jobs that need to be put in the oven too, like zinc plating bits for passivisation and so on.... Wiring looms come up a treat in the washing machine after all the tape adhesive has been removed first with white spirit if you need to. Photos clearly not recommended :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Wagola said:

What are the rules now for not needing an MOT ?

Has to be on the 'historic vehicle' VED category on V5. Vehicles 40+ years of age are eligible. See separate thread in general topics. FBOAB came up against a wall when trying to get his Q reg Moto Martin as historic. Apparently the DVLA demanded a document from Martin stating the year of manufacture, which he has been unable to obtain. Whether the DVLA change a Q to an age related plate and then give it historic status if a dating certificate is produced or they just change a Q reg vehicle to historic I have no idea. My Q reg Harris is 40 years old in 2027. I already have a dating certificate from Harris so watch this space to find out (for four yearsO.o).

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, stockcar said:

? why would they?? 

The point is: why incur the cost of having a bike tested if you don't have to? Maybe Clive knows the tester and he does the test as a favour but having looked at Clive's bikes there isn't going to be anything wrong with it. This is the main advantage of having historic status: no more MoT or VED expenses. And no more arguments with testers who don't know the rules (this is my personal bugbear - testers ignorant of the rules for Q reg bikes).

4 hours ago, Dezza said:

Has to be on the 'historic vehicle' VED category on V5. Vehicles 40+ years of age are eligible. See separate thread in general topics. FBOAB came up against a wall when trying to get his Q reg Moto Martin as historic. Apparently the DVLA demanded a document from Martin stating the year of manufacture, which he has been unable to obtain. Whether the DVLA change a Q to an age related plate and then give it historic status if a dating certificate is produced or they just change a Q reg vehicle to historic I have no idea. My Q reg Harris is 40 years old in 2027. I already have a dating certificate from Harris so watch this space to find out (for four yearsO.o).

According to my log book for the Harris, it was registered in 1993 so only 30 years old ! So a bit of a wait for me !!:(

• Like 1

My Slabby’s up in 2027, but I think I’ll still go for an MOT, 
It’s only failed once & that was years ago, I think I know what I’m doing, (ish), but I would still like a fresh pair of eyes to look over it, once a year.  
I know what I’m like, as well. 

25 minutes ago, clivegto said:

My MOT men are a father and son team who are friends of mine. Even though it doesn't need a MOT if God forbid a accident did happen I can prove to the insurance companies that my bike is road worth :tu

I had this out with my insurance company, they said having no MOT will not effect the outcome in an accident, but we all know insurance company's >:(

but at the end of the day they would have to prove that the bike wasn't road worthy wouldn't they ?  

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2023 at 7:00 PM, TonyGee said:

I had this out with my insurance company, they said having no MOT will not effect the outcome in an accident, but we all know insurance company's >:(

but at the end of the day they would have to prove that the bike wasn't road worthy wouldn't they ?  

Other way round.....I would bet some money on that one.......

An MOT certifies officially that (in the opinion of a single tester) a vehicle is roadworthy at the time of the test. 10 minutes after the test it may well be deemed unroadworthy for various reasons. This point of logic has always held when inspecting secondhand vehicles with the intention of buying them for as long as I can remember, and I am sure insurance company loss adjusters use it too.

34 minutes ago, Dezza said:

An MOT certifies officially that (in the opinion of a single tester) a vehicle is roadworthy at the time of the test. 10 minutes after the test it may well be deemed unroadworthy for various reasons. This point of logic has always held when inspecting secondhand vehicles with the intention of buying them for as long as I can remember, and I am sure insurance company loss adjusters use it too.

I personally think that the MOT test is there for the "great unwashed" who know bugger all about their vehicles to ensure the worst of the worst are taken off the road till they're acceptable again , if it really was that important it would be stricter and more often, my truck every 6 weeks an inspection , trailers are 10 weeks on double deck and 13 weeks for boxes and curtains

• Like 1