Slabby vs Slingy 7/11

Planning the next build of mine now. I'm into fighters so no fairings etc will be seen here!

i love my bandit 1200 but at the same time want something a little different. aim here is to build a gsxr frame with bandit motor and modern front forks and build a bandit 1200 motor'd gsxr!

so which would you choose? 750 slingshot frame or 750 slabby frame. Im guessing either one will still be 20ish kgs lighter than a stock bandit once built but just seeing what people prefer to work on or which frame gives shortest wheelbase/weight.

Edited by caferacerdan
  • Like 1

If you havent ridden a slabby before I suggest you try before you buy. They are very different handling and seating positioning. Different from slingshots or anything else. Very unique but not for everybody.

Personally I'd go with the slingshot. A little more modern ergonomics. Not as cramped. A little more ground clearance. 

1 hour ago, caferacerdan said:

anyone know how easy parts fit to a slabby? i know fork conversions will still be the same but what about swingarms? does a bandit or slingy swingarm fit a slabby without modification?

The dogbone and knuckles on slingshots are different to slabbys which have a rear cusion lever and different swingarm and frame mount positions. A slabby shock bottom mount is an eye and a slingshot is a clevis (fork type mount). Slingshot 7's and 11's arms are interchangeable but it's not the same with slabbys (different shaped cushion levers if I remember rightly?). ;)

If you have the right bits, a Slingshot swingarm is a straight fit in a Slabby. 

I have both and I stongly prefer the Slabby; much lighter, better (faster) handling and just plain cooler. 

There's truth in a Slabby being cramped as stock, I surely don't fit on (in?) one, which is why I raised my seat by a few inches 

image.jpeg

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Rene EFE said:

If you have the right bits, a Slingshot swingarm is a straight fit in a Slabby. 

I have both and I stongly prefer the Slabby; much lighter, better (faster) handling and just plain cooler. 

There's truth in a Slabby being cramped as stock, I surely don't fit on (in?) one, which is why I raised my seat by a few inches 

image.jpeg

i plan on using a custom seat unit/subframe anyways so the cramped peg bits will be solved by that...hmm steering towards a slab now. how strong is the frame in comparison to the slabby? I know yantosh's slabby coped with a twin turbo so think a bandit motor will be no troubles!

1 hour ago, caferacerdan said:

.... how strong is the frame in comparison to the slabby? I know yantosh's slabby coped with a twin turbo so think a bandit motor will be no troubles!

Mine has a 142Bhp 1127 in it and has done more than a few laps of the TT course with not a single problem (apart from splitting the chain and blowing up, other than that, it's been fine ;) )

• Like 1