Bought with Airfilter pods, Need help rejeting what do i do?

I recently acquired a 1981 GS1000G that im working on restoring. one thing I would like to do first is re-jet the carbs because they are jetted for the original air box and i am entirely new to motorcycle maintenance. Im a young guy and ive worked on cars, planes, and bicycles, so i understand the fundamentals but have never had to do much with carbs. thanks for the help and there will be many more questions!

What he is saying is that if you've never worked on carbs, starting with the BS series carbs is a mistake.

yes, it can be done, but it's not for a beginner

so, getting the stock airbox, as above, is your easier solution

air pods add nothing to a stock bike 

Has the bike got a race exhaust on it or at least race end can ? 

If it's got the standard exhaust, as above get a standard air box.

There's a lot in tuning carbs you could start with putting a 125 main jets but the best way if you haven't got much experience in setting carbs get it on a Dyno rolling road and get them to tune them.

You really don't want to learn to work on carbs with 43 year old CVs that you can't get a jet kit for. Go back to stock, get everything else sorted and the bike running well, and if you want pods in the future, you'll at least know that the bike was running right before starting.

Here's an airbox that is a lot cheaper than dyno time and new jets.

https://www.Eblag.com/itm/375661824900?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dizz4l4tqek&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

Check out Partzilla for parts that you need and cross reference the fitment with other models from the same era. Suzuki has updated part numbers over the years, so even though it lists the same part number for something, it doesn't necessarily mean that both bikes came with that part, but it should fit both bikes. Good luck with the build and we like photos.

Getting a bike with CV carbs to run perfectly after removing the airbox and fitting  4 into 1 can be a doddle if you can find a set of air corrector jets. These formed the core base of the LeDAR Induction Kit, one of the greatest inventions known to humanity :).

Edited by Dezza
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, MrSuzukiGS1000 said:

I need new brake calipers, front master cylinder and tach/speedometer cluster along with a couple other things. so just curious what all to look for. 

If you currently have calipers and the master cylinder, I would rebuld rather than replace - unless you are upgrading them. Most of what you will end up buying will probably need rebuiding anyway. The kits are quite easy to get and it's a pretty simple job. Plus you can send the calipers off to the powdercoaters whilst they're in bits. :)

11 hours ago, gsx said:

Air corrector kits are generally for round slides but stand to be corrected .for cvs as a starting point go up  25 % on the mains and one up on the pilots 

I have a LeDar kit in my efe carbs. Bin airbox, fit Harris 4 into one, fit LeDAR kit and away you go, no flat spots :).

• Like 1

I didn't think Ledar kits were available anymore after Leon died, but it seems someone bought the rights and the tooling and they are again in the market - check Eblag - I saw GS1000 kits being offered. I used a Ledar kit on a GSX750 back in the day - worked good and i've used multiple DJ kits on OC engines with great results - pays yer money and takes yer choice! (if available)