B12 plus DOT-head questions

I'm building a GSX1100ET with B12 engine, forks, wheels etcetera. The engine is in place and now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the carbs, inlet rubbers and air filters. So it's time to ask for advice from people who know soooo much more than me.

The parts I have available are:

-stock B12 head with camshafts

-stock B12 carbs

-stock B12 inlet rubbers

-DOT-head inlet rubbers

-DOT-head (one with and one without camshafts)

-4 degree ignition advancer

-2 double K&N pods (RU-2922, so 1 pod for 2 carbs)

I plan to use a DOT-head and I'd appreciate some advice on which inlet rubbers, camshafts and air filters. I'm not into high revving for loads of hp, I prefer torque.

Air pods don't need a lot of space but are not the easiest to set up, so I'm considering making some sort of air filter housing to create a smoother air flow. I was thinking about placing the pods inside the air filter housing, or alternatively a housing with one air filter instead of pods.

Let me know your thoughts...

20240210_100023.jpg

• Like 1

To be honest if you're not after top end hp I'd stick with the stock bandit 1200 head and cams as well as the carbs Etc use the twin oval filters with a dyno jet stage 3 jet kit and it'll run pretty good as that's what it's developed for, try with and without The advancer to see if you notice the difference ...... Just my opinion and just like belly buttons everyone has one :D

Edit: forgot to say if you swap to the dot head/cams remember that the bandit uses a hyvo cam chain so you'll need to swap cam wheels and if you check out @Dezza sticky on the subject of intake rubbers the dot head has inclined intakes that can in some instances cause carb/tank interference or issues with fuel taps  hth

Edited by DAZ
Addition

Got a DOT head on my b12 powered gsx (gsx1157et in the project section) I had to raise the rear of the tank to clear the carbs tops with the DOT head. 

If you are looking for more toque than top end power, stick with the b12 cams or keep a eye open for some gsx1100f cams (but are like hen's teeth) DOT head will help with all over power and toque but for what you get and the carb bit you have to think if it's worth it. 

A 4° advance will give you a better throttle response, so as they are just a bolt on bit no harm in putting it on.

44 minutes ago, TonyGee said:

ive said this before but going down on carb size will increase torque low down and mid range,  im going down the same route again with my GS1000 bandit engined project, 32mm carbs again from 36mm.  

And didn't the gs1200ss run 32mm carbs instead of the 36mm ?

An alternative to an ignition advancer for a B12 for those of us with loads of bits lying about, i.e. 99% of OSS members, is to fit an 1100 slabby ignition. This indeed livens up the bottom end response :).

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dezza said:

An alternative to an ignition advancer for a B12 for those of us with loads of bits lying about, i.e. 99% of OSS members, is to fit an 1100 slabby ignition. This indeed livens up the bottom end response :).

Would that work on a 1127 or just the b12 ? 

5 minutes ago, wraith said:

Probably just the B12 due to the piss poor CR! 

I'm wary about using 4 or 5 deg advancers - not a thing that works with higher CR's nor piss weak fuel and can make starting a chore if battery is a bit dickie!

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, wraith said:

The slabby 1100 definitely has different timing to the B12 but I can't remember about 1127. Info is in the genuine Suzuki workshop manuals. My guess is it does. Obviously the slabby rotor, pick-up and CDI all have to be used.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

I'm wary about using 4 or 5 deg advancers - not a thing that works with higher CR's nor piss weak fuel and can make starting a chore if battery is a bit dickie!

The one i make is adjustable from -5 to +5 

• Like 1