And so it begins

Posted (edited)

Not much to see this week as I’ve been busy with other things

fully  bolted the engine properly

removed the swinging arm to measure for spacers  for rear shock

oh the front brakes turned up and fitted as well as mudgaurd IMG_3535.thumb.jpeg.352e09c4e9968a8bc0cd8e06aaef31e3.jpeg

Rear sprocket arrived 

IMG_3529.thumb.jpeg.4a5e27e624b76784d57e542576805fb0.jpeg

that’s about it

oh mounted the coils 

might get a bit done tomorrow on the oil cooler lines 

Edited by Ragerover
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Ragerover said:

I’ll try and get a few late nights in this week to align wheels sprockets and make some spacers

then  attack the calliper hanger 

That's the order I did the rear wheel work for the Dresda, a month ago. I still haven't sorted the hanger. O.oxD

I keep looking at it and pondering whether it would be simpler/quicker/easier to stick with the hanger I have and get a disc to suit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not a lot done this month

got a shocker sorted

wheels lined up and that’s about it 

if you’ve never done it before it’s a PITA especially when your not sure where to start

on a “normal “ build where your just changing wheels it’s not too bad. You know the rest is right so your only spacing wheels 

on this I was spacing wheels, swinging arm 

but also trying to get chain straight

but using a combination of straight edges squares and string lines I got there 

but then I forgot I gave my lathe to my mate as I wasn’t using it.

hes on holiday for a month 

my other mate with a lathe moving to fuckin France 

and number 3 with a lathe is missing in action

so I’m stuck for time being 

IMG_3640.jpeg

IMG_3641.jpeg

IMG_3693.jpeg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, clivegto said:

Took me a while to get the Harris wheels and arm just right using what sound's like similar stuff. Effort is worth it though as my Turbo Magnum rides spot on (y)

Yep your right

its all the Fkin about that people who buy pre built specials never seee

ended up with a Nitron shock with remote damping, rebound and spring adjustment tasty bit of kit 

• Like 1

Had a right chew on fitting the oil lines to the head kept clashing with frame 

tried umpteen fittings ( luckily enough a good mate is a good rich dealer)

ended up with done head bolts and had to put a small indent in frame IMG_3632.thumb.jpeg.084dac431eeef16559374ca1be3fe757.jpeg

IMG_3631.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Can you or anyone explain how that shock linkage works because I can't! - whichever way the arm moves, the shock doesn't ! ! !  Confused!

Wondering what sports bike is it based on 

But if its GSXR thou 2010 on its configured wrong  and the link arm is to long  :S

But maybe "bad H word" based >:(

16 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Can you or anyone explain how that shock linkage works because I can't! - whichever way the arm moves, the shock doesn't ! ! !  Confused!

The pivot on the frame and the pivot on the swingarm ought to get further apart. Dogbone pulls on triangle which pushes the shock. Along with the swingarm moving up as well. Does look a bit funky though..

This is the only way I could get the shock geometry correct on mine without massive bodgery. The link needs to be in the same plane as the arm otherwise you'll end up with a falling rate (as explained to me by someone cleverer than me and this works so I believe him)

Obviously loads of slop in this but Ive since made a proper linkage on this geometry and it works really well. Just nice little vid to demonstrate how this linkage type works for those who cant wrap their head around it 

Edited by davecara
  • Like 4

Thanks Dave - that helps and looks logical. The shock movement is tiny though - maybe 20-25mm? - seems less than optimal but if it works, it works. The orientation of the levers and links on yours is similar but completely different to the OP question picture - in that one, the link / arm relationship certainly isn't parallel and more divergent hence my question!