Interesting (detailed ) Yoshi gs1000 Magazine article-1979

R1guy

I think the most interesting thing to come out of that article is what they didn't do. Just goes to show how much of the 'must do' stuff is marketing BS, urban legend and while it does no harm doesn't help anything either. Frame bracing around the head stock and HD head studs being two examples.

"Bloke on the internet said ..." vs "Yoshimura's successful race bikes didn't have ..."

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, imago said:

I think the most interesting thing to come out of that article is what they didn't do. Just goes to show how much of the 'must do' stuff is marketing BS, urban legend and while it does no harm doesn't help anything either. Frame bracing around the head stock and HD head studs being two examples.

"Bloke on the internet said ..." vs "Yoshimura's successful race bikes didn't have ..."

That was the best they could do at the time. Not sure that means it's still the best thing you can do today. Things change.. tire grip.. suspension.. power.. tracks..

12 hours ago, TLRS said:

That was the best they could do at the time. Not sure that means it's still the best thing you can do today. Things change.. tire grip.. suspension.. power.. tracks..

The frames and air cooled engines are exactly the same as they were 40 plus years ago. So while the things you mention will improve on what was available then they won't affect things like designed in bolt stretch or flex at the head stock.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, imago said:

The frames and air cooled engines are exactly the same as they were 40 plus years ago. So while the things you mention will improve on what was available then they won't affect things like designed in bolt stretch or flex at the head stock.

This may be the case but I'm sure that the huge advances in tyre technology will mean much greater forces acting on 40 year old frames which may mean they need some additional help. You only have to look at classic TT lap times to see that something has changed.

• Like 3
Just now, coombehouse said:

This may be the case but I'm sure that the huge advances in tyre technology will mean much greater forces acting on 40 year old frames which may mean they need some additional help. You only have to look at classic TT lap times to see that something has changed.

Undoubtedly times and technology have improved, but I unless there's some test data about frame flex it's going to be impossible to say if it's just the tyres (for example) or a combination. It's also worth noting that the top times at the classic TT are not on 40 year old frames. To name one as an example Michael Dunlop's XR69 shares bugger all with an original.

So I would suggest that if your starting point is a 40 year old frame of the original diameter and tube thickness then the stuff Pops did is of more direct relevance than a special framed bike built over 40 years later.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 8:00 AM, imago said:

Undoubtedly times and technology have improved, but I unless there's some test data about frame flex it's going to be impossible to say if it's just the tyres (for example) or a combination. It's also worth noting that the top times at the classic TT are not on 40 year old frames. To name one as an example Michael Dunlop's XR69 shares bugger all with an original.

So I would suggest that if your starting point is a 40 year old frame of the original diameter and tube thickness then the stuff Pops did is of more direct relevance than a special framed bike built over 40 years later.

also,dunlops xr69 is running a slingshot gsxr or bandit 1200 motor so not even aircooled.

• Like 3