1983 GS750ESD

Suzukian

Thanks, I believe the forks on the GSX1000 are larger diameter, so it would involve a set of GSX1000 forks, and triple tree set, with steering stem, from which I understand slides right into the GSX750ESD.  If you can think of anything to add, I'd appreciate it. Oh, the B6 bearings are the Bandit wheels bearings?  If that's correct, you've just filled in all the gaps for me.  I really appreciate your help. :)

18 minutes ago, Suzukian said:

Thanks, I believe the forks on the GSX1000 are larger diameter, so it would involve a set of GSX1000 forks, and triple tree set, with steering stem, from which I understand slides right into the GSX750ESD.  If you can think of anything to add, I'd appreciate it. Oh, the B6 bearings are the Bandit wheels bearings?  If that's correct, you've just filled in all the gaps for me.  I really appreciate your help. :)

I could be wrong but I thought the 750 and 1100 forks where the same diameter ???  yeah the bearings in the bandit 600 where the original ones.  

I believe you're right.  I heard the GSX1100 would slip right into the GSX750ESD. So this whole exercise might just be getting a Bandit 600 wheel, axle, discs, and couple of washers, tire, Brake Brackets, and elbow grease.  Thanks!  If you discover anything  new, I'm open to it.  Again, Thank You!. :)

2 minutes ago, Suzukian said:

I believe you're right.  I heard the GSX1100 would slip right into the GSX750ESD. So this whole exercise might just be getting a Bandit 600 wheel, axle, discs, and couple of washers, tire, Brake Brackets, and elbow grease.  Thanks!  If you discover anything  new, I'm open to it.  Again, Thank You!. :)

I didn't have or use a bandit axle, don't think it will work because of the shape !!!  i already had a spindle the right size and long enough, if I remember right its 19mm diameter ????  can't remember what it was off it was just in a pile of bits in me shed !!!!! 

are you gona fit a B6 rear wheel to match ?  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Suzukian said:

That was my next question.  I don't even know where to start there.  There are many of these wheels available. I'm thinking it would be the logical route.  I don't know if that means necessary. Seems like it would balance things out. :)

rear wheel will need a bit of work as well, you need wheel/disc/sprocket carrier/brake calliper and hanger. plus spacers. think the axle is the same size. they have a 150 tyre so should fit in the swingarm. problem is the sprockets won't line up !!!!!!  I had to get the sprocket carrier machined down and space out the front sprocket.  as you can see modifying these old bikes can be a bit of a challenge !!!  but if it floats your boat its great fun,  :D  

• Like 1

That's good info.  After the ZZR1200 is my daily rider, I'll start out with the the GSx750.    There were a couple of deals with front and back wheel.  I'll do the front 1st.  Then, I'll be able to do the back end without a sense of urgency.  I just had to get a new chuck for my Lathe, $600 bucks (ouch!) so funds are limited, but this is a go for me.  I have great measuring tools and surface, so I'll be able to check the line up.  First will be centering the back rim, and seeing what's left on each side, or how it lines up. With a rotary milling table, it would be easier for me to open up the sprocket.  I understand that I will have to be in the process to figure out what must be done. I like machining stuff, and doing this kind of work, especially when for myself.  I'd like to do a thread on it, so anyone wanting to follow can get the info easier, though you guys have been terrific!    Thanks!! :)

Edited by Suzukian

Just found, after a extremely deep search on Egag, a complete 1983-85 GS1150ES front end for $90 dollars, Sans wheel of course, but I don't need that.  I was shocked at the price, plus free shipping.  It looks really clean too.  I wasn't planning on doing this for a while, but we'll see how things fall into place.  Gotta get the parts at the right price when they come up, the wife doesn't notice anything under $100 bucks.   ;)

42 minutes ago, Suzukian said:

Just found, after a extremely deep search on Egag, a complete 1983-85 GS1150ES front end for $90 dollars, Sans wheel of course, but I don't need that.  I was shocked at the price, plus free shipping.  It looks really clean too.  I wasn't planning on doing this for a while, but we'll see how things fall into place.  Gotta get the parts at the right price when they come up, the wife doesn't notice anything under $100 bucks.   ;)

I'm not sure where you are headed with this project now & I don't want to derail your plans however, if the objective is to improve the quality of the forks along with fitting a modern sized front wheel, your choice of parts could be slightly off. The older stuff from the early 80's is very similar in design to what you already have fitted as standard IE damper rod forks  with little or no adjustment. If you are ok with that you might as well use what you already have & just modify a 600 bandit front wheel to fit 

If you want to upgrade the fork to something that works better, then a more modern fork with cartridges would be a better option.  

• Like 2

I'm just wishing to increase the front wheel diameter size and width.  The present GS750SE forks are too narrow to take a wider rim/taller rim, (from what I've read), so people were putting the GS1150 front ends on to get a wider 16" front wheel, slips right on.  The GS1150 Forks will allow a 17" wheel that's also wider.  The 600 SRAD front wheel  with slight brake mounting modifications will work, and keeps the bike pretty much within the parameters of what I enjoy with it now.  I find the bike satisfactory now, but tire choices have become very limited.  I'll future proof it with this mod, and total costs will be very little.  I want to be able to put this bike back to stock.  I could machine cartridge emulators in the future to improve them. Thanks for the input. :)

Surely you could find a more modern front end, still of the same style and look, and still be able to return it to stock if needed, without using another 80’s front end that was never that great anyway?

I understand about the right look and style, and being able to return to stock, but if you’re going to the trouble of doing it an 1135E / GS1150 front end wouldn’t be high on my list however cheap. 

• Like 1

The other few bikes that a few suggested just aren't available, or are waaay too expensive, and they aren't complete.  I don't want to spend $800 bucks on a front end, that frankly, would go on a bike that satisfies me the way it is now.  The back roads of New England are awesome.  There are roads here you get you bike 4 feet and land like if you were landing an aircraft (I'm a pilot, I am not exaggerating).  From what I've seen on this forum, and some of the modifications people have done to their bikes just blows my mind.  I would like to do that, but not to this bike.  I've had it since new, I assembled it out of the crate.  It's the 2nd bike I ever purchased, I still have the first.  I have 3 bikes now.  I would like to do something way out there, but I'm just not there yet.

As far as that '83 GS750ES, I've run circles around so many people with that bike.  I've had people crash behind me, trying to go through the turns.  I don't know if you have actually spent any amount time on that exact bike.  I have ridden some new bikes recently, I thought about purchasing my "last new bike", except for catalytic converters, Fuel Injection, there was nothing about the newer bikes that gave me an indication they were worth the close to $10K prices.  Some of the 600 c.c. bikes were pretty awesome, but you had to rev the shit out of them all the time.  I'm not looking for that.  If and when I build the GS750ES engine, if available, I may look for cams and pistons and some flat slide carburetors, but the motor is solid now.

There is one more thing, I don't have the wherewithal to go through 4 or 5 front ends to  find something that may give me a single digit % difference.  I'm being pragmatic about this, and in reality, if an incredible deal on a much better front end comes up, I have such little cash into this one, it doesn't exclude doing another change.

Just for the record, what front end would you recommend?  I am very open to ideas, and knowing what to look for gives me an edge when  in looking I for that front end.  My ZZR1200 fell into my lap.  3485 original miles for $2200 bucks. I found that bike when a guy sold a GS100G that he sold out from underneath me.   He offered me that bike, I owned it 3 minutes later.  That was last year.

Just suggesting to get a more modern one is vague.  Specific years and models speak volumes.  That info is kind of like pulling teeth around here.  I get a lot of people saying use such and such front end, and in the life of that model, there were 3 different front ends.  The chart on spacing and offsets doesn't list my bike.

Specifics rule, what year and model bike would you go for in my situation? Thanks for your input, and hopefully, continued input.  :)

Buy a mk1 (1996 to 2001) Bandit 1200 complete front end. Swap the steering stems with a hydraulic press, fit new headstock bearings and enjoy a more modern front end and better selection of tyres.

If you wanted to go further, you could buy better springs or cartridge emulators

If youre fussed about matching wheels, then any 600 bandit rear wheel will fit with the right combo of spacers and tinkering.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Suzukian said:

Just suggesting to get a more modern one is vague.  Specific years and models speak volumes.  That info is kind of like pulling teeth around here.  I get a lot of people saying use such and such front end, and in the life of that model, there were 3 different front ends.  The chart on spacing and offsets doesn't list my bike.

Specifics rule, what year and model bike would you go for in my situation? Thanks for your input, and hopefully, continued input.  :)

I think it is a little unfair to be critical of the information you have been given, it's been far from "like pulling teeth" as far as I can see. You have been given a long list of suitable donor bikes & there are many others. All will fit, including the Kawasaki front end you already have, with a small amount of engineering work. Don't forget, procrastination is the thief of time. 

• Like 4

Most members on here are based in the UK or NL, so knowing what is available in US is often guesswork compared to someone who actually lives there. And then the same bikes here are called something different in the US, and some bikes were not imported to both US and Europe, and there's the differences in terminology for common components. It all adds up and sometimes I think google translate needs an 'American' category so some words can be translated more easily into English :).

You hit that nail on the head, American is so different from one region of the country to another, Google:Translate would have to have you put in your Zip Code first, to determine where you live in the U.S..  I searched high and low for much later forks, I'm on another Suzuki forum, but my Lord, the prices people are asking for these parts just isn't worth it.  Even on Ebag the difference between GSX and GS is treated as the same bike.  It would be easy to buy the wrong parts.

The expression "Pulling  Teeth" has a much lighter connotation here than it may in the U.K..  It took a lot of posts to find out that the ZZR1200 front end could work.  I have parts coming in for both.  As far as procrastination, a Tornado hit my house and I am almost finished with the roof.  I have to replace the cylinder heads on my Motor home (Caravan) engine, it's a Chevy 454 worth about $7500 bucks this spring, and finish my 10' x 12" French door shed.  I just have a lot of stuff to do.  I don't procrastinate, I just don't have time.  I also have 5 ruptured discs, a neck made out of Titanium, as is my lower spine, and 5 fused discs.  All from an industrial accident.  I had to stop flying, stop sailing (I sailed a 10 meter boat by myself often at one time) but that is behind me.

I haven't been critical of the information, I've just asked for more specifics.  Stating the model of a bike which has had 3 different front ends is not helpful.  Appreciated, but not helpful.  The written word does not convey intent.  If you feel offended by what I post, please take it as a cultural difference.  I don't criticize people. I never intend to insult anybody.  I just wanted a bigger front tire for  the a bike I own and enjoy very much.  A minor upgrade.  I've taken the advice from members, I ordered a spare lower triple tree for the GS750ES so I press out the steering stem, to possible to on the GS750, and for $90 bucks, I can put a complete front end, and do a modification that was done often to that bike back when it came out.  I can machine out a set of cartridge emulators if need be.

TonyGee has given me very specific information, and helped me with the terms.  For which I am very thankful.

I hope that explains where I'm coming from.  No insult intended.

Edited by Suzukian

I have a milling Machine, 9" SouthBend Lathe with the Milling attachment, it is a back gear lathe, so it can cut threads.  Drill press.  Rotary tables. Indexing heads, compound table, shitloads of end mills and drills, taps, etc..  I also have a Miller Econotig Tig welder, and a square wave Mig welder I purchased two years ago.  I have virtually all the attachments and accessories for these machines, including collets, etc.

I've been doing CAD for around 15 years, I use Rhino3D as it is really good at Non-uniform rational basis spline (NURBS) type modeling.  I have depth gauges, Micrometers, I can measure from center to center and then build a computer model and print out a pattern on 110 lb. card stock, which is strong enough to put bolts through and see if there is a proper fit.  I can also take photos, import them, and with a known value, like putting a penny next to the part, use parametric scaling so all work is in 1 to 1 scale.

As I stated before, I am severely disabled, 5 ruptured, and 5 fused discs.  I can stand in front of a machine for maybe 45 minutes before the pain becomes unbearable.  This is why I am taking a minimalist approach.  It's just the reality that I can ride a motorcycle easier than I can go to the end of my property to check the mail.  It's easier for me to ride a motorcycle than to drive a car.

I have a FM transmitter inserted in me that goes down my Spinal Cord, to try and control the pain.  I'm not a dick, I'm just really fucked up.  I don't have any friends anymore that share this passion and could work with.  Many of my friends have died from drugs, cancer, drugs, drugs, drinking.  It's where I'm at.  I ask for no sympathy.  I plan to make a trike, so having an extra front end around won't be a problem.   I have to take care of my house first, before I can come play.  I have bartered for most of the tooling I have, as I had an electronic repair shop for 10 years, and bartered my Lathe for a 32" Sony Trinitron XBR.  That was an expensive T.V. at the time, worth nothing now.  A lot of bartering goes on in the U.S..  Much better to keep it off the books.  I've paid enough taxes. You can have all the tools  in the world, but when your Spinal Cord says no, it all becomes very frustrating, to say the least.   It is what it is. :)

On 3/4/2023 at 10:18 AM, Suzukian said:

I'm just wishing to increase the front wheel diameter size and width.  The present GS750SE forks are too narrow to take a wider rim/taller rim, (from what I've read), so people were putting the GS1150 front ends on to get a wider 16" front wheel, slips right on.  The GS1150 Forks will allow a 17" wheel that's also wider.  The 600 SRAD front wheel  with slight brake mounting modifications will work, and keeps the bike pretty much within the parameters of what I enjoy with it now.  I find the bike satisfactory now, but tire choices have become very limited.  I'll future proof it with this mod, and total costs will be very little.  I want to be able to put this bike back to stock.  I could machine cartridge emulators in the future to improve them. Thanks for the input. :)

just took gs1150 forks off a frame this afternoon complete with wheel tripples handlebars you do not need the wheel, anyone want that piece of shit anyone. You can have it  a little ruff but would be great for mockup and a restore. Will put up some pictures later in the week very complete. Pay the post and bingo yours ( maybe i should have said Bobs your uncle). Have couple other front ends in the barn as well but they will cost you. Live in north florida now. I will be in port Jervis New York end of august for training camp finally 3 years covid is over in New York was done here 2 and a half years ago. Can bring it with me, actually just little north of Port Jervis. if you can wait. Stop being suck a tight wad want to play you gotta pay.  Funny swingarm spindle is stuck in that frame, spindle is spinning but will not budge cannot understand it never happened to me before something screwy. will cut it out most likely but got to find a spindle bolt, stuff is getting hard to get. 

• Like 1