Jump to content

Stick coil conversion


Billythekidd

Recommended Posts

IMO unless you are running an EFI system with sequential capability using stick coils are no better than Dyna coils - using Iridium needle tipped type plugs would be a better option for reliable fat sparks to light richer mixtures.

Link to post
1 hour ago, Billythekidd said:

OK, yeah the dynas do take up a bit of space but with having a new loom built it should tidy some of that up anyway. Ill be keeping that diagram as I might put stick coils on my slingshot, which coils did you use? 

Ignitech do stick coils and they come with the connectors for your loom :)

Link to post

Fitted sticks on my bikes too, not for performance but reliability in the wet.

The DR350 used to stutter and miss all the time in the wet, even with a new coil and ht lead. Now it doesn't miss a beat even riding through near airbox deep rivers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
16 hours ago, Billythekidd said:

OK, yeah the dynas do take up a bit of space but with having a new loom built it should tidy some of that up anyway. Ill be keeping that diagram as I might put stick coils on my slingshot, which coils did you use? 

Same as above: Denso coils from an '05 GSX-R600 (US), #129700-4420 J0440 (measuring 1.5±0.1 ohm) sources from Eblag.

  • Like 1
Link to post
8 hours ago, rdubandit said:

Same as above: Denso coils from an '05 GSX-R600 (US), #129700-4420 J0440 (measuring 1.5±0.1 ohm) sources from Eblag.

I used some from a GSXR750K1 and they go on OK. The connectors though are fairly expensive and fiddly, and are available in the UK from Kojak's Cat in Scotchland:)

Link to post
7 hours ago, Dezza said:

I used some from a GSXR750K1 and they go on OK. The connectors though are fairly expensive and fiddly, and are available in the UK from Kojak's Cat in Scotchland:)

On this side of the pond, I use cycleterminal.com for connectors and terminals.

  • Like 1
Link to post

I use 2001 gsxr 600 coils ( 1.2 ohm's) Works great to clean up under fuel  tank.  1.2 x2 coils like the diagram, works great with Dyna ignition or aftermarket ECU. Aftermarket ecu needs ign. booster. They do stick up out of the hole a bit though.

IMG_1899.JPG

Link to post
9 hours ago, Scoobie666 said:

I’m just fitting dyna 2000 ignition to my 1100m. Anyone one know which coils I could use with it and source in uk? I think  dyna say 2.2 or 3 ohm coils 

If you want COP's - you won't find any in that rating. You must use any of the ones easily sourced and wire them in series so the resistances add up to an acceptable level. There are mucho plenty threads on OSS about COP types used - use Search!

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 3:33 AM, Gixer1460 said:

If you want COP's - you won't find any in that rating. You must use any of the ones easily sourced and wire them in series so the resistances add up to an acceptable level. There are mucho plenty threads on OSS about COP types used - use Search!

I did a few searches after reading this thread.  I went through ~20 pages of nothing related and found only this thread.  I searched "coil on plug," "COP," and "stick coil."

Link to post
26 minutes ago, rdubandit said:

I did a few searches after reading this thread.  I went through ~20 pages of nothing related and found only this thread.  I searched "coil on plug," "COP," and "stick coil."

Here . . . . . Searched COPs!

 

 

 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, GeorgeEI7KO said:

will the likes GSXR 600 Sticks work on a stock ignition system? Or does it have to be aftermarket? 

Stock coils are 3 ohm and the stock ignition isn't recommended to be used with Dyna 2.2 ohm Grey coils due to the increased amps they will pull through the ign. amp output transistors. Stick coils resistances vary between 1.0 and 1.5 ohms so when paired, some will be ok, some will not - aftermarket ign. outputs are usually a bit more resilient.

Link to post
14 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Stock coils are 3 ohm and the stock ignition isn't recommended to be used with Dyna 2.2 ohm Grey coils due to the increased amps they will pull through the ign. amp output transistors. Stick coils resistances vary between 1.0 and 1.5 ohms so when paired, some will be ok, some will not - aftermarket ign. outputs are usually a bit more resilient.

Ah, ok that makes sense then. Cheers.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...