gsxr1300 pistions and 750 dot head

wraith

Has anybody tried using the GSXR1300 pistons in a GSXR1100 (1127) motor and using the GSXR750 dot head? As far as I see it, using the gsxr1300 pistons on 1127 con rods gives a 1216cc big bore, but with lower compression that standard gsxr1100 piston or 1127 normal big bore kit. However, as the dot head also lifts the compression, by using that too would you get a standard compression engine but with the bigger cc grunt? Wondering if it's a viable budget trick if you've got the spare bits knocking around... ;-)

There was a good right up on old site about this by musthava (I think). Busa pistons are about 2mm down the block giving a comp of arount 8 to 1. From memory the dot head raises comp by 1.2 to 2 he said the block needs to be decked so yes it can be done. Was going to do it myself but never got round to it.

If you've the bits lying around why not but you'll still only get you back to standard CR without extra machining and the Busa piston crowns don't match a GSXR chamber once you've decked the block so more potential machining which lowers the CR again. And decking the block that much alters cam timing so adjustments there - lot of pissing around for not a lot of gain IMO. Sell the pistons and head and put the coin into proper high comp JE pistons that work out of the box!

• Like 1

I think Musphadump on the old site said he had to skim 1.2mm off the deck height to get the correct squish and compression. (1127 with busa slugs running n/a) 

I.R.C.C. That was with an 1127 head.

Mister dump said and promised a lot ...................

And I recall a few had to chase him for some time to get there promised stuff back..................

Then he suddenly dropped of the coupon  I also seam to recall

:o

Edited by Duckndive
  • Like 1

Not done the conversion myself but think it can be done.

In my opinion best power upgrade is to get the head flowed and carbs set up right.

The dot head will raise comp and if followed will save the cost of fresh pistons.

If no dot head then skim standard head and get it flowed. Cheapest power upgrade in my opinion.

PS edit not work as I wished ;)

Edited by clivegto

As they say 'A picture speaks a thousand words' but still confused as a few have been done with turbo builds and they appear to be low comp - certainly not as that picture would suggest....................so remain confused!

They will sit 1mm down from deck if you use 1052 rods on 1127 Crank.... 

Vizman I know 2/5th off #uckall...........But I,ve never been afraid to join bits together to find out if it will work.............:v :tu

• Like 4