1100 M No more headlights after prolonged hibernation

vitesse

Hello peeps,

After some years of hibernation, I 've decided to dust of the cobwebs of my 1100m, everything seemed to work fine and now for some reason the headlights won't light up, all else works perfect. When I try to switch on the lights, only the high beam indicator lights up (even with no high beam) and position light is very weak. I've tested the handlebar switches and they seem to work ok without shorting. I'm beginning to think some rodent had a go at my cable loom...

IMG_1012.JPG

1 minute ago, Gixer1460 said:

The whole front fairing is on its own sub-loom with a black 9? pin plug & socket near the head stock - i'd start here and test forward and back.

Apparently no faults in the sub-loom I think somethings going on in the big harness towards the rear

12 hours ago, no class said:

Don't those model years have a relay ? 

Apparently models before 91 had relays, my 91 hasn't unfortunately. Wonder if 750m looms are the same as the 1100m ones, if so I'll just swap them. Problem is I'm in Spain with the bike and the looms are in Belgium...

wiring on these are fairly straight forward so should be easy fix . When you say no head lights do you have rear lights and the clock back lights ?Im thinking you have lost both low and high beam ? Maybe you have got a break in the negative return . If its been layed up for a while then possible a corroded connector block .

47 minutes ago, colinworth79 said:

wiring on these are fairly straight forward so should be easy fix . When you say no head lights do you have rear lights and the clock back lights ?Im thinking you have lost both low and high beam ? Maybe you have got a break in the negative return . If its been layed up for a while then possible a corroded connector block .

Agreed, Try breaking in to the black/white from the headlamp plug and taking it straight to battery negative. If that works, you can either run a permanent wire as all the earths at front end are inter connected iirc. You will need a wire of 2.5mm2 or larger.... The Hi beam warning light shares the same supply as the headlight but has its own earth path, so you are getting power to the switches. I also think running 10A + through a handlebar switch is a poor idea, I would add a pair of relays anyway to preserve the life of the switchgear, I have seen switchgear wiring have a melt down before.....

Edited by suzook12
On 14-10-2017 at 4:50 PM, suzook12 said:

Agreed, Try breaking in to the black/white from the headlamp plug and taking it straight to battery negative. If that works, you can either run a permanent wire as all the earths at front end are inter connected iirc. You will need a wire of 2.5mm2 or larger.... The Hi beam warning light shares the same supply as the headlight but has its own earth path, so you are getting power to the switches. I also think running 10A + through a handlebar switch is a poor idea, I would add a pair of relays anyway to preserve the life of the switchgear, I have seen switchgear wiring have a melt down before.....

Yep, indeed the rear lights work. As you mentioned I will bridge the negative from the battery to the headlamps and put some relays in the circuit asap. In my case as it's a european spec 1100m there's even 20 amps blowing through the handlebars.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

The rear lights will probably work on the pilot light circuit. At least they will if they are the same as the efe wiring and it's a UK model with a pilot light. The US models do not have this. Do the pilot lights on the front work? If not it's something common to both the PL and main lights at the front. First check with a multimeter to see if you have current/earth at the block connector where the main loom and front light loom join.