Katana Frame bracing

3 hours ago, no class said:

...any issues with the upper portion of the frame bracing contacting the outer pod filters ? Post up some pics

No issues whatsoever.. xD

skizzokat-frontmts-swing-2.jpg

I braced the -GSX750 orig.- frame "everywhere" apart from the carb area just to avoid any issues, reckoning 3 stiff angles on a rectangle are enough to create a rigid structure (figuratively speaking).

Also making the engine part of this structure was part of the plan. And the Kat does feel very rigid and precise on the road.

• Like 6

I've had a bit experience  with modded  et  and katana frames but not as much as arnout

For what it's worth twin shock et s handle fine with updated  running gear and no frame bracing.

750 Kat with mono shock , bit wobbly

2 hours ago, arnout said:

No issues whatsoever.. xD

skizzokat-frontmts-swing-2.jpg

I braced the -GSX750 orig.- frame "everywhere" apart from the carb area just to avoid any issues, reckoning 3 stiff angles on a rectangle are enough to create a rigid structure (figuratively speaking).

Also making the engine part of this structure was part of the plan. And the Kat does feel very rigid and precise on the road.

your set up makes total sense to me.....All the bracing in the right areas...... and looks the part !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, no class said:

your set up makes total sense to me.....All the bracing in the right areas...... and looks the part !

Thanks!  To compensate to some degree for omitting the carb area "C" tubes I did add small gussets on the rear side of the frame down tubes where the subframe meets.

I intended using K&N pods, but foam filters are pliable making the tubes you already put in much less of a problem.

Btw the "B" tubes on my frame are chosen quite long making taking off the cam cover a bit of a pain, but it fits.. Just..

Also note the front engine mounts which are doubled up. A second set on the outside are angled back inside forming triangles. (Hard to spot in the pic.)

• Like 1

The main thing I find with the under top cradle bracing is hitting the tank if it's to big, same with the side panels and fuel tapes, not much a problem with the Kat, as the tape is more center but the GS/GSX are at the rear of the tank. (Done 4 braced frames now and find something new each time ;))

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

this is hung up in my shed still waiting me getting my finger out. its the sister frame to the one built by lucky7 for one of th bike mags to go racing with a year or two back, bracing is lovely, im particularly imprssed with the headstock bracing and relocated rear shock mounts

WP_20150621_20_09_15_a.jpg

• Like 3