Gsxr head to efe

homer

I have slightly damaged efe engine waiting for pickup. Seller discribed the damage and I am not sure about the head is it worth repairing.

Dont want to sell my kidney to get a replacement. Gsxr heads are so much cheaper and I have always wanted to do this gsxr to gsx head swap. Is it worth doing or should I just keep the gsx head. I know I can do it but just want some opinions.

Engine will be NA big bore with efi

It can be done but its not totally straight forward. The potential issue is the cam chain tunnel overlaps with the gasket - without some reworking its fairly minimal. Heres one I did a while ago - Gorilla block, 80.5mm GSXR pistons, Katana rods, stripped out GSXR1100K head, flowed and ported with 30/26mm SS valves, G28/G21 cams and about 14:1 CR! Using Race gas was pushing 175-180hp but never got to add the NOS! Pics are when I was thinking of turbo and methanol........

Oil flow / pressure was uprated with 750 gears but because the oily head cooling is piss poor - needs a reasonable oil cooler ( I used a 9 row on a drag bike) It would need more on a road bike.

GSX1360 turbo 001 (600 x 450).jpg

GSX1360 turbo 003 (450 x 600).jpg

GSX1360 turbo 016 (Small).jpg

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, no class said:

I wonder if keeping the oil feed to the head could work if plumbed into the lower case where a turbo oil feed goes?  Obviously a higher volume pump gear would be needed .

GSX pump, even uprated doesn't come close to moving 80 gallons / hr that the GSXR pump puts through their cooling circuit

1 hour ago, boilerdude said:

Lol you guys and your open stacks... "But it sounds better! And those filters hold back 3 horsepower! Oh whoops what was that? a pebble? Oh well there's goes 5,000 dollars."...

It swallowed a tiny stone flicked up by the back tyre while doing burnout at a RWYB....

held no 3 inlet valve open.. So horny piston kisses valve .9_9.rod goes south in a bendy sort of way piston disintegrated taking out the liner and crank......I have it on video some-ware ....

I still have the block need to get round to fitting new liner one day.....

Here's the Horny Rod after kissing the naughty valve :$

597b3d1846d03_ROD20170728_143045.thumb.jpg.fb5ea870c3c30215f95bfe113bd7a127.jpg

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Duckndive said:

It swallowed a tiny stone flicked up by the back tyre while doing burnout at a RWYB....

held no 3 inlet valve open.. So horny piston kisses valve .9_9.rod goes south in a bendy sort of way piston disintegrated taking out the liner and crank......I have it on video some-ware ....

I still have the block need to get round to fitting new liner one day.....

Here's the Horny Rod after kissing the naughty valve :$

597b3d1846d03_ROD20170728_143045.thumb.jpg.fb5ea870c3c30215f95bfe113bd7a127.jpg

damn that sucks, i prefer filters as well

Funny enough Clive, I was at E Kirby and after a run the turbo on the Kawazuki didn't return to idle so clicked it off and rolled back to the pit. Wow - 6mm pebble loosely wedged between the S&S butterfly and body ! How lucky was that - could have been a mess! Just to teach it a lesson it got a right spanking the next run! And yes a filter would have been a good idea but as both my knees were spread wide - left to avoid the burning hot dump pipe and right to avoid choking the carb with my jeans - i'd have to have double jointed hip to get a filter on there!

• Like 3

Unless you are OCD and need everything perfect and providing none of the valve seats and plug threads are damaged - just use it!  Make sure there are no sharp edges to get hot / melt and it should be fine. There may be some slight imbalance in combustion chamber volumes but probably not enough to make 2/10th of FA difference!

• Like 3