Clutch Arms?

15 minutes ago, CockneyRick said:

Is an Efe clutch arm longer than a GS1000? And if not, is there one that is? Make the heavy GS clutch lighter as me arms like Popeye! :$

Simple answer NO....but extending one would not be a problem ..but the cable would be at an angle out of the adjuster / case mount and may wear quicker

39 minutes ago, CockneyRick said:

yea was looking at extending. Sure i saw somewhere about mounting the "stay" part of cable to the clutch cover bolt???

Yes you could run it like a 750 oil boiler "think" where's Del ...........:v

with the cable mounted off the cover

Like this ...

59610d908c9c6_TURBODRAIN_HPIM1323-Copy.thumb.JPG.0e4d56b08365eeb3a029daa1766b8993.JPG

Edited by Duckndive
updated
  • Like 2

You can modify the clutch lever at the bar to reduce the distance from the lever pivot to the hole that the cable nipple fits in. I have done it for my wife who has a broken wrist. I redrilled the hole & pressed in a bush. The distance from pivot to nipple is now 5mm less. Makes a big difference. I have another to do for her this week. Will take some pictures & start another thread if anyone is interested.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, coombehouse said:

You can modify the clutch lever at the bar to reduce the distance from the lever pivot to the hole that the cable nipple fits in. I have done it for my wife who has a broken wrist. I redrilled the hole & pressed in a bush. The distance from pivot to nipple is now 5mm less. Makes a big difference. I have another to do for her this week. Will take some pictures & start another thread if anyone is interested.

very interested in that coombehouse put up a photo please  ,,,ta yoshi

• Like 1

If you fit a block of alloy to space the cable over, you can bolt to the original mount point and tap a hole in the alloy block, plus a slot for the new cable position. Then weld in a section to extend the arm. I did a few of these a couple of years back, does help a lot.

I seem to remember that 15mm works great.

I will have a go at finding an image, but this PhotoFucked it malarky has left me very confused about where I hid things. :ph34r:

• Like 1
13 hours ago, markfoggy said:

If you fit a block of alloy to space the cable over, you can bolt to the original mount point and tap a hole in the alloy block, plus a slot for the new cable position. Then weld in a section to extend the arm. I did a few of these a couple of years back, does help a lot.

I seem to remember that 15mm works great.

I will have a go at finding an image, but this PhotoFucked it malarky has left me very confused about where I hid things. :ph34r:

all of your photfuckity images shoulod still be in your personal library.........its simply the "sharing" that they are clamping down on

On 17/07/2017 at 0:19 AM, yoshi said:

very interested in that coombehouse put up a photo please  ,,,ta yoshi

2 levers just done (Gsxr k5). Standard offset is 34mm & these are now 28.5mm. The new hole is 10mm diameter X 12.4mm deep. Ally bush pressed & loctited in & the slots for the cable machined in. 

IMG_20170718_193336874.jpg

Edited by coombehouse
  • Like 4
11 hours ago, coombehouse said:

2 levers just done (Gsxr k5). Standard offset is 34mm & these are now 28.5mm. The new hole is 10mm diameter X 12.4mm deep. Ally bush pressed & loctited in & the slots for the cable machined in. 

IMG_20170718_193336874.jpg

What bike is it for, and what clutch perch is being used? Also, are there any problems with clutch drag?

The bikes are modern, 2x gsxr1000k5 & a late blade. No clutch drag issues on any. I will be doing the same on my old stuff as soon as I get round to it. 

If you want a cheap perch & lever, Robinson's Foundry have them on offer for gsxr1000k5 for about £25. Less than 2nd hand tat on Eblag. 

Nick

Only in my wildest dreams has my clutch action been as light as that of a GSXR1000. Presumably, modern bikes have a massive clutch surface area or deploy some sort of sorcery to make the clutch action so light. I will measure my stock efe lever to see how it compares with the measurements from the modern bike.

1 minute ago, Dezza said:

Only in my wildest dreams has my clutch action been as light as that of a GSXR1000. Presumably, modern bikes have a massive clutch surface area or deploy some sort of sorcery to make the clutch action so light. I will measure my stock efe lever to see how it compares with the measurements from the modern bike.

I think you will find the offset is the same. I use a blade perch & lever on my gsx1100ez & with a new cable on it the lever action is not too heavy. On my kat I have an srad lever & perch with HD springs & whilst it is heavy, it's rideable & always has been. When it's back together I will mod the lever & get a new cable. 

Modern bikes have smaller lighter clutches so I don't know they do it. 

The lightness of the clutches of modern bikes with 150bhp+, obviously like most of the population of the western world, keeps me awake at night as to how this is achieved. There isn't even some sort of fancy gizmo, like the electric servo motor set-up when 1100 Katanas went back into production about 15 years ago.O.o