chain offsets. Again, kinda

badger

Ok, dumb questions but I can't really find a definitive answer. Wanna space out my chain from the tyre, Sorting an offset front sprocket is all easy peasy but an offset rear (calm your self) is fucking impossible. Do I only need to offset the front? Am I being stupid? Can dogs look up? Any pointers would be mucho helpfully

7 hours ago, Dezza said:

Talon will make you a custom offset rear sprocket. They aren't exactly cheap though - mine cost 70 quid about 4 years ago. And it took ages for them to do it, something like 4 months.

Fuck a duck! I can get a fancy spacer made pretty quick I reckon. Gonna go down that route. Need a new chain really. Fuck me when did that get so fucking expensive?!? 

Well is quite a big chunk of ally if you get into it and setting up for the tooth broaching and final machining is a little more complicated than for a standard sprocket cut out of sheet. I think that is fair money, but spacer all day long. 

Remember though you need to recess on the wheel side for the hub spigot and replicate the spigot detail as it hits the sprocket. Just sticking some washers behind it and hoping for the best is Not a good idea.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, markfoggy said:

Well is quite a big chunk of ally if you get into it and setting up for the tooth broaching and final machining is a little more complicated than for a standard sprocket cut out of sheet. I think that is fair money, but spacer all day long. 

Remember though you need to recess on the wheel side for the hub spigot and replicate the spigot detail as it hits the sprocket. Just sticking some washers behind it and hoping for the best is Not a good idea.

All valid points dude. 
 I'll probably get the spacer machined by a mate. Can use an old sprocket for it I reckon. Should be pretty straight forward/ not my problem ;)

They actually fucked up and sent me a 520 with a 3mm offset instead of the 530 I ordered, to fit a TZ250 sprocket carrier. They didn't want the old one back so I ended up with 2 sprockets for 70 odd quid and I can switch to 520 if I so wish. They also supply them anodised (very high quality) to any colour, no extra charge. So with all the faffing around making the things as MF says it's not that bad and the finished article looks really good.

• Like 1
On 4/6/2017 at 8:36 PM, badger said:

Ok, dumb questions but I can't really find a definitive answer. Wanna space out my chain from the tyre, Sorting an offset front sprocket is all easy peasy but an offset rear (calm your self) is fucking impossible. Do I only need to offset the front? Am I being stupid? Can dogs look up? Any pointers would be mucho helpfully

what bike ? wide wheel conversion ? 

What is non-standard on your bike?   Have you fitted a wider tyre on the stock rim, or a wider Wheel on to your bike? 

If it's the later, and you have the matching cush drive, the chain shouldn't hit the tyre unless the sprockets are out of alignment. In which case you only need an offset front sprocket. That's assuming the rear wheel is centred correctly...

• Like 1

cheap fix........measure a few flat washers so they are all the same thickness......if it only just touches as you say....you should get away with .060" - .080" thou (roughly the thickness of a m10 washer)......throw 1 washer on each bolt in between the sprocket / carrier .

• Like 1